• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No backhand form!

Bigryry

I've been playing disc for about a year now and I throw prodominatly forehand. When I first started playing disc I would play backhand and maybe a month into playing I blew my shoulder out and couldnt play for a few weeks. At that point I was thinking that maybe this sport was not for me.

I was convinced to play agian and tried throwing forehand for the first time,it felt so natural for me. Could this be that I used to play baseball??

Every now and then I try to throw backhand and my form is completly crap, I can only imagine what kind of retard I look like trying to throw this way. Ive watched so many videos of backhand driving and I dont know if its my grip, run up, my release, I just dont know, but I feel my 13 year old brother could out drive me this way.

My question is should I even bother to learn a decent backhand drive or just stick to my forehand and solidify that. I drive around 300-350 on flat ground consistantly forehand with decent accuracy.

I also tend to throw my approach shots forehand with my driver and usualy manage to lay it up for a for sure putt. So I also tend to only carry 1 midrange that I hardly use.

Just wondering what everyones opinion on this is?

If you're healthy enough to learn backhand, you will benefit from it if you learn how to throw well.

As I understand it, it's *supposed* to be less damaging on your body, but I think too many of us have injuries to say that it's "safer". I think it's less stress on the elbow, but you form will dictate how injury prone you would be.

To my knowledge, there's a handful of guys that can throw 450+ with a forehand/side arm, but a lot of folks can do it backhand.

I know a guy who threw forehand/sidearm and in one year (he did play a ton though), he has developed his backhand so much, that now he's almost all backhand. And, he drives further with his backhand that he ever did his forehand.

A lot of times, your forehand distance will come from an S shape drive, but with backhand, you'll find you can reach a similar distance with a hyzer or a line drive shot. They can be really helpful, too.

I'd say look at the videos, ask some people, post questions here, read the technical sticky in this forum and learn backhand at your own pace.

ok, i can help you a bit.

I had the same problem really, and I posted a video of me throwing in the video forum. That is basically a walkthrough for beginners. Check it out!

And start playing catch to warm up. Not long distance, short distance. It will help with form for drives and approach shots. Face it, you can't play Mozart if you can't play scales; go back to the roots of this game and you'll find playing catch will transfer to your golf game.

Latest posts