• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Non tee box shots

south.texas.dead.i

Bogey Member
I know that when driving off tee box then you can move your feet as long as you don't pass the line. But after the first shot when you go to the disc do you have to keep a foot at that disc spot or front foot only planted or what?

south.texas.dead.i said:
I know that when driving off tee box then you can move your feet as long as you don't pass the line. But after the first shot when you go to the disc do you have to keep a foot at that disc spot or front foot only planted or what?
When you release the disc part of your body needs to be on the ground within 30 cm of the back of the mini marker or disc that's marking your lie on a line with the basket.

http://www.pdga.com/rules

So you essentially have 3 category of shots.
1. Initial Drive: You have to be in the designated tee-area when you release the disc. You can be anywhere in the box as long as you release the disc in the area. You can follow through and end up off the pad when you are done.

2. Non-putting, non-driving shots: You have to have a foot in contact with the ground in a I believe 1ft x 1ft square behind the edge of your disc when you release the disc. You can follow through forward after you release the disc. Don't quote me on the dimensions, but you have to be reasonably close to the edge of the disc when you release.

3. Putting: (Anything inside of 10 meters): You have to have one foot on the ground in the same box as above, however if any part of your body follows through behind the disc, it's a fault. You must show control of your balance before you move, which leads to some pretty unclear parts. Basically, to be safe every time you put, start getting into the habit of making sure both feet are on the ground behind your lay before you bend down and pick up your previous shot and move forward.

isobar said:
So you essentially have 3 category of shots.
1. Initial Drive: You have to be in the designated tee-area when you release the disc. You can be anywhere in the box as long as you release the disc in the area. You can follow through and end up off the pad when you are done.

Not quite: at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending back three meters from each end of the front line. (803.03)

Note that, unlike for throws subsequent to teeing off (803.04.A), 803.03 does NOT explicitly require a player to have a supporting point in contact with the playing surface when teeing off. So, under the current wording, a jump throw is perfectly legal.

2. Non-putting, non-driving shots: You have to have a foot in contact with the ground in a I believe 1ft x 1ft square behind the edge of your disc when you release the disc.

Nope. Feet have nothing to do with it. You can throw standing on your head, lying on your back or belly with both feet in the air, or while doing a one-handed handstand (heck, you can even do a two-handed handstand and propel the disc with your foot) if you think it's to your advantage to do so.

The only requirement is that one supporting point must be on the line of play and and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc.

Line of play: the imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond. This line has no thickness; therefore one support point must be directly behind the center of the marker. (800)

3. Putting: (Anything inside of 10 meters): You have to have one foot on the ground in the same box as above, however if any part of your body follows through behind the disc, it's a fault.[/quote]

Nope. Again, you have to have a supporting point on the line of play and within 30 directly behind the marker disc when the disc is released. Non-supporting points that are closer to the hole are perfectly legal. The only requirement is that during the follow-through no supporting point may make contact with the playing surface closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc before demonstrating full control of balance.

fore said:
Note that, unlike for throws subsequent to teeing off (803.04.A), 803.03 does NOT explicitly require a player to have a supporting point in contact with the playing surface when teeing off. So, under the current wording, a jump throw is perfectly legal.
Not quite: 803.02(A) states, "When the disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area…" So, under the current wording, a jump throw is perfectly illegal.

veganray said:
fore said:
Not quite: 803.02(A) states, "When the disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area…" So, under the current wording, a jump throw is perfectly illegal.
I think you quoted the wrong rule. Jump putts and the teeing area (803.02) aren't the discussion. This is more relevant I think:

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,

(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

Yes, I know the rules state "Supporting Member" have you ever had to throw a shot from your head? BEsides the rare shot from the knees, it's just much more simple to explain it using layman terms and say feet. I guess I did explain the follow through on the putt a bit wrong though. I meant it right, but the wording came out wrong. :lol:

I have been in situations where it is much more advantageous to use my hand as a supporting point that a foot. It is an important distinction in the rules that ought to be pointed out during these discussions.

iacas said:
I think you quoted the wrong rule.
I'm quite certain I cited the 100% relevant rule that debunks the preposterous statement that fore made (and I quoted in my post). The rest of the "discussion" is merely background noise to me.

veganray said:
iacas said:
I think you quoted the wrong rule.
I'm quite certain I cited the 100% relevant rule that debunks the preposterous statement that fore made (and I quoted in my post). The rest of the "discussion" is merely background noise to me.
Perhaps. I took "jump throw" to mean things like jump putts and such, not throws from the tee.

iacas said:
Perhaps?!?! Here's what he wrote, you fucking idiot:
fore said:
{the pDGA rulebook) does NOT explicitly require a player to have a supporting point in contact with the playing surface when teeing off. So, under the current wording, a jump throw is perfectly legal.
I know you love to spout your blowhole & try to seem like you know what you're talking about, but at least take the 15 fucking seconds to digest what it is you're blabbering about - if you have the ability to even do so.

Jeez, I'm starting to think there might just be something to that old standby, the "Polack" stereotype…

veganray said:
fore said:

Nope.

Rule 800 defines a supporting point as "any part of a player's body that is in contact with the playing surface or some other object capable of providing support, at the time of release."

803.04.A(1) explicitly requires a player to have a supporting point in contact with the playing surface when the disc is released:

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface
on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E);

803.02 requires that one or more supporting points in contact with the surface of the teeing area when the disc is released ASSUMING THE PLAYER HAS ONE OR MORE SUPPORTING POINTS. It DOES NOT require a player to HAVE a supporting point at the time the disc is released.

803.02 Teeing Off
A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the
disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the
surface of the teeing area
, and all the player's supporting points must be within the teeing
area.

Saying that when the disc is released "at least one ... supporting point must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area" is not the same thing as saying "must have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the surface of the teeing area[/b]: the second REQUIRES a player to have a supporting point; the first merely requires that IF a supporting point exists, it must be in contact with the surface of the teeing area."

Consequently, 803.02, as written, does not prohibit tee-off throw that can be made without the existence of a supporting point. Since that which is not prohibited is permitted, teeing off using a jump-throw is legal.

Latest posts