• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Here Requesting Bag Critique

discmeettree

Par Member
I posted this in the equipment forum, so I'm reposting here in the appropriate area............friggin' noobies! :doh:

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: DG 1 month
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Not sure but I think drives are about 200-250 with Avenger 1.8 Elite Z

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: Someday........: ) M
Injuries/handicaps?: Lack of Time
Other sport proficiencies?: Archery
Additional Information:
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Not enough knowledge to determine if on target yet, hence this post. :)
Specific areas of desired feedback: Want to have a disc assortment that will pretty much cover the basis for a very ambitious rookie.
Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to have more consistency in the short-term, and gain some additional distance in the short-term as well.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
172 Elite Z Avenger/ fairly new/drives (most consistent with this one)
175 Champion Sidewinder /fairly new (this doesn't feel good to me yet for some reason)
can't find weight/KC Pro/ Eagle/ beat, shape distorted when looking at profile, edges nicked up/ this thing flies really well for me actually, nice and flat but not super far

Mids:
165 R-Pro Roc/ Brand New unthrown
Can't find weight or plastic type, assuming DX/ Stingray/ all dinged up from me hitting rocks/ fades pretty hard right, can't get consistency with this one yet

Putters:
175 R-Pro Dart/ Brand New unthrown
?? weight or plastic/ Birdie/ good condition/fat lip and my lack of experience caused me to buy Dart today.

Here is more information if you are so inclined. (from other thread)

I'm a noobie who has only played a few rounds so far. I've gotten past that initial phase of chucking the driver and have it climb out with a hard hyzer bank and then spike straight back down to terrafirma with a loud thud. (that round was FUUUUNNNNN!!!)

Now I'm getting the drives to level out a bit before taking their left drift. (using an Avenger 1.9 Elite Z) I've even had a couple of those "magical" drives where the disc just kept going and going and going much further than I was expecting. Consistency isn't there yet on that though, not even close unfortunately. Tried throwing the Champion Sidewinder quite a few times and for some reason, this thing hyzers out on me harder than the Avenger and based on what I've been reading, this shouldn't be the case. Get nice flat slowish drives with a Eagle K.C. Pro, this disc flies sort of boring in a way that it is so predictable.

Approach shots are inconsistent at best, been using a pretty beat Stingray that I can't get to fly flat, it just banks hard right on me. This spurred me to purchase a Roc R-Pro today which is still brand new right now. I've been confused trying to read about this disc as it seems some of them have a different lip inside than others.....I bought this because a guy I met on the course and played a round with was doing some pretty impressive stuff with his Roc and recommended it.

Putts are pretty bad so far, been using a Birdie thus far. My poor success with the Birdie spurred me to buy a Dart in R-Pro today to try a putter with a thinner lip. The Birdie is a fatty for sure.

So here is what I have in my bag so far:

Avenger 1.8 Elite Z Maximum Distance Driver
Champion Sidewinder Distance Driver
Eagle K.C. Pro Ultra Long Straight Driver

Stingray with lots of chunks out of edges from hitting rocks (think it's DX, it doesn't say)
Roc R-Pro brand new

Birdie with Thumtrac
Dart R-Pro brand new

I bought the R-Pro plastics because I saw "pro" and figured that meant "better". I realize after reading that some people have mixed feelings about the R-Pro plastic.

Is there anything I should fill in with? I understand practice is going to make the shots come, and not the equipment. But I want to at least start with a decent setup, and plus, these discs are pretty damned cool!

Thank you ahead of time for any time you spent on this! :)

I'm no pro, but two reasons on why your sidewinder fades hard on you is first of all champion plastic makes a disc more stable than the other 3 plastics Innova offers. And throwing max weight does much of the same thing. I would suggest getting either a DX or Pro sidewinder at a lower weight maybe close to 165g and it would have more turn and less fade.

I would listen to what people are saying on here about throwing putters and mids for a while before moving up to faster discs, it will save you a lot of heart ach and money. I started out throwing Nukes, Bosses, and high speed discs like that. I then did more reading and studying on disc golf and now my fastest disc are 9 speed and i use them very little, I throw mostly fairway drivers like the TL and most recently the JLS. I do have a Roc3 and love that disc, but for a mid range disc that would work for a new person you cant go wrong with a Buzzz, great for learning.

The most important thing about disc golf is to have fun.

to continue from my statement in the other thread, driving putters is a perfect way to hone your form. right now, in order to get distance with your avenger, you're probably having to torque it over your body to get it to glide at all. this will not work with a putter. putters require a smooth on-plane throw to not wobble and die.
on the opposite end of the spectrum, a nuke would be massively overstable for you and would hurt your long term progress to a huge degree. stay away! the slower the disc, the better for now.
just don't give up. every throw is a lesson. best of luck my friend.

Learning experience

Sounds like my starting situation was. Bought a Kite and a Beast to start with. :doh:
Then got a Teebird and an Aviar, champion this time to save them from trees.
Then tried a bunch of drivers I borrowed.
Then bought a Roc, read a few of these forums, watched some pro tips/clinics on youtube, and I realized I was starting off on the wrong end of the spectrum. It's not about going out a bombing a drive 400 ft. (How many holes is that really useful on?) My game improved drastically after I started doing field work with my Rocs and Aviars. Then improved again when I started using them to tee off with. I learned it is much better to be 200' straight in front of you than to shank it 250' into the woods.

O.K. so basically trying to throw a fast driver is like a noobie archer trying to start with a 50 plus pound bare recurve as their first bow. :)

Get the form down with the stable flat flying slow stuff and then start hucking the big dogs a country mile..................:thmbup:

In the meantime, is there anything I am missing in the bag for when the technique does develop more?