• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Object VS. Basket courses

nygfaninva

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I just played my first real object course in Brooklyn, NY and found it interesting. Overall I love playing with baskets as its the best way I find to play and have a great time, BUT I found that putting at a water fountain or a sign postor or a fire hydrant to be very challenging. At the same distance I missed a putt I know I would have sunk into a true basket. I believe baskets to be the most awesome way to experience disc golf, but the occasional object course can really tighten up ones putting skills. What do you guys think?

I agree. I once had to take my wife to her job to pick up some papers. She was taking a while, so I pulled my putter out of the trunk, and started making an object course out of the landscaping in front of the building. It is more challenging, and seems to sharpen your skills.

Object golf is just the product of necessity. From what I understand in NYC you can't install pole holes as the metal thieves would strip them overnight and sell them for scrap. If you want to golf, object golf gets it done. I'm in a similar situation since the City I live in will not install a course...object or drive an hour and 1/2 or nothing. So I play object golf a lot. However if there was a basket course accessible I'd play it 1,000 times before I played object golf again.

I started playing back when there were only object courses ( at least around here) and loved the game. I would still play if that was my only option but once I started playing with baskets the objects lost their appeal. My situation is similar to Three Putts in that there is not a course really close to where I live. I still drive to play but I would play more often if I had courses closer and I do not play object golf although the idea of creating my own object course instead of driving does have some appeal.

Object golf can be fun when you don't have a set course, ie each person takes a turn calling the next hole. You just go until you don't want to play anymore. And each player gets equal opportunity to call holes that suit their skills. I'd still rather play with baskets but I'm not above object golf.

There is something about the sound a disc makes when it hits the chains that puts it far above object golf.

I think we all agree object will work in desperation

I started playing back when there were only object courses ( at least around here) and loved the game. I would still play if that was my only option but once I started playing with baskets the objects lost their appeal. My situation is similar to Three Putts in that there is not a course really close to where I live. I still drive to play but I would play more often if I had courses closer and I do not play object golf although the idea of creating my own object course instead of driving does have some appeal.

Me too. That is all we had in our area in the 80's. Wow, I am getting old. I hate the sound of that. Anyway, the other thing an object course will do, is wear your discs more ofter. It can be like hitting a tree on every hole, even though most of these would not be at Full Strenght. LOL Magnson School of Putting LOL

In a former life when I was really into pistol and rifle we use to have a course with a big gong you could shoot at. That would be kinda fun; to have a gong at the end of a 450ft lane.

I could picture a group of three of four guys unloading every driver in their bag until someone rung the gong.

In a former life when I was really into pistol and rifle we use to have a course with a big gong you could shoot at. That would be kinda fun; to have a gong at the end of a 450ft lane.

I could picture a group of three of four guys unloading every driver in their bag until someone rung the gong.

That would be quite hilarious also. Can you imagine someone is taking a walk in the park and they bend over to tie their shoe *off in the distance* GONG! I'm sorry but that would be funny and I would guess, after a while annoying.

Hey Donovan. You're not old. You're mature,wise, a seasoned veteran of our sport. Or maybe that's me and you really are old (ha).

Hey Donovan. You're not old. You're mature,wise, a seasoned veteran of our sport. Or maybe that's me and you really are old (ha).

I sware, in another year I'm gonna be using a walker and hit you over the head with it. :p:D

Disc Golf in my area has always had at least 4 courses since i started in high school (graduated in '01) so i've never had to play object golf. Spoiled i guess.

Are you sure you can lift the walker that high?
:D

You're absolutely right. At my age, it might be a bit heavy. Why don't you take another step closer and . . . . . . LET'S FIND OUT! :p

I guess an object course is a bit easier in that you could scrape the thing on the left side and it would count, whereas on a basket course it would bounce out. But I do prefer the finality of a basket.

Then again, a course of all gongs would be awesome.

Well object courses also made it tough to call the nick of an object and they became an argument creator. Baskets are a godsend! THANKS ED!!!!!

Yea objects are definitely easier from the standpoint of the bounce out but always difficult to judge from a distance. Then again what would sports be without a good argument. As a side note I always get a kick out of the look people give you when you say you throw a "frisbee" into a basket. I think they visualize a regular basket like for laundry or something and can't figure out how you can throw the disc into it very well. Hey Donovan, Isn't it past bedtime at the old folks home?

Yea objects are definitely easier from the standpoint of the bounce out but always difficult to judge from a distance. Then again what would sports be without a good argument. As a side note I always get a kick out of the look people give you when you say you throw a "frisbee" into a basket. I think they visualize a regular basket like for laundry or something and can't figure out how you can throw the disc into it very well. Hey Donovan, Isn't it past bedtime at the old folks home?

It's not late, it's early. You youngins just sleep too much.

You are right brother, explaining the pole and basket is a regular occurance. LOL I actually just took a picture with my phone so it is easier to show them than explain it. CHING!

Dang...if Donovan needs a walker...I better get an oxygen bottle :)

I'm actually older than Donovan but he's the one who started the "old" bit. All in fun.