• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] OS Driving Putter

GoobyPls

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I lost my last KC Aviar today and now don't have anything in the somewhat-overstable, straight-to-fade driving putter slot. I've had a KC Aviar in my bag since I started playing, but I was never in love with the bead and I'm open to trying something else for that role. As always, I'm manufacturer-agnostic. Right now I'm leaning toward checking out an Envy. Also open to just getting another KC Aviar.

Well if you liked the KC but not the bead the obvious answer is a P2.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Yeah give the Envy a try. I would definitely need a stable and normal speed putter as well for straight/turnover/touch shots, but the Envy is so HSS and tolerant to wind within reason. For normal putter depth P2 is a great suggestion too.

I would say a premium plastic P2 or Marshal. S-Line and Lucid are both very nice straight-to-fade throwing putters.

The Envy is a good suggestion, and another suggestion for a shallow approach disc is the new Tomb from Infinite Discs. Very accurate disc.

Yes, the P2 is a good beadless disc in the overall Aviar vein. If you try and like the P2, stock up n them when you can, as sometimes there are waits to get in new batches...

You hit the hypothetical nail on the head with the hypothetical hammer.

Get an Envy. They come in all premiums and a pro/DX plastic with different firmness'. I'd suggest N or P to keep that reliable flight for a long time, or E (firm, although it's not going to be KC firm) if you want to cycle it. Shallow/comfortable feel, but not too shallow. Just fits the hand really well. I always found P2s, et al, to feel way too deep. Messed with my release point. Haven't left the Envy since I got one.

Great HSS, so the control is all on the release angle (how I like it, anyway!). Good fade, too, mostly indefinitely, although wear will make it less pronounced. Flies darn far, given the mustard, too. Powers down predictably.

Just get one :D

Last edited:
Does a Yeti have a bead? Cant remember. If it doesn't and since you like Aviars i'd give one of those a try.

if you want to get something new in your hands, Envy all day. Soft Neutron would be my recommendation, but if you don't like slightly gummy discs the reg neutron or Proton are good also.

Btw, the envy does have a micro bead...

if you want to get something new in your hands, Envy all day. Soft Neutron would be my recommendation, but if you don't like slightly gummy discs the reg neutron or Proton are good also.

Does the soft fly more OS in general, or is it just a feel thing?

I think the Proton and Soft N are pretty close when new but the Soft holds its stability longer. The first soft I had(bought on release day was an all around putter for a year. Putts and throwing, including OH shots(I like throwing OH putters on downhill shots or pancake out of the trees. It was fully abused as my main thrower for another year when I switched putting to atoms. Then I found the one I have now. Its super gummy in the flight plate but still has a fairly firm rim. I still used the older one on shots where it was likely to hit a tree and the OH shots until last summer when I threw it in a nasty pond. It still didn't have any high speed turn but had lost most of the fade on a hard flat shot.

I do like the feel of the softs especially when its cold. It feels like a normal disc in the winter whereas the P I had felt like a dinner plate. The one I use now is so nice. The older was flexy but not really gummy. Instead of flexing, with the new one, my thumb kind of sinks into the plate rather than the whole plate giving. Its also an oreo, Black on white.:thmbup:

Last edited:
Rat. It has a nice predictable but not overly large fade. It honestly gets farther than a lot of my drivers on a perfect throw. Last round at the first time on a course I hit metal with it 3 times

What about a Scale from RDG? Never tried one (I want to) but have heard they are reliable.

What about a Scale from RDG? Never tried one (I want to) but have heard they are reliable.

I'd prefer something that isn't that deep. I have small hands and don't like deep dish putters for driving. Putting is a different story (i.e. the Warden).

I lost my last KC Aviar today and now don't have anything in the somewhat-overstable, straight-to-fade driving putter slot. I've had a KC Aviar in my bag since I started playing, but I was never in love with the bead and I'm open to trying something else for that role. As always, I'm manufacturer-agnostic. Right now I'm leaning toward checking out an Envy. Also open to just getting another KC Aviar.

TP or VIP Shield would be a great replacement if you didn't love the bead of a KC Aviar. Try a P2 as well, but personally the Shield felt better in hand.

Also yes, the Envy is dope. I would reckon it's on a short list of driving putters that are in the goldilocks zone of stability while also being comfy to flick.

Does the soft fly more OS in general, or is it just a feel thing?

Some people really like the Softs I love the feel but not the flight they tend to be a little less hss and more LSS by just a touch we are talking a real tight s... I prefer proton more straight to fade for me and I mean 80-90% of flight dead straight then fade out.. Really good glide for something that will take a lot of power...

Well if you liked the KC but not the bead the obvious answer is a P2.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

This is pretty much your best bet if you like the flight of your Aviar but not the bead. The Gateway Warlock is a decent option too.