• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhead throwing

JR

* Ace Member *
Another long one again sorry. But it ought to be helpful to other inexperienced overhead throwers as well.

I'm not that well practiced in tommies and thumbers although I've thrown occasional tommies now and then for a couple of years. I trained mainly thumbers today because I haven't been able to throw as far with them as with tommies and there are two holes on my home course that an be effectively driven with thumbers that land on the top of the disc or less preferably upright after 180 degree clockwise rotation. I'd like some feedback on my technique that I'll describe later. I'd like to begin with an explanation of what I need from flight paths and how my discs flew on a practice field today. Any observations and advice are very welcome because I've just tried to tommy those holes with varying success. Now that I can throw thumbers better I can start training on those holes the next time I play.

The first hole needs to be thrown over a row of trees at about 30 degree upward angle minimum and the second one can be thrown from -10 degrees upwards depending on available power. The first hole is IIRC 200' and about 10' down and the second is 300' and a lot down. Maybe around 60-70'. The first one is basically like a tunnel close to the pin and the second one is behind an almost vertical drop under a downhill slope that can be used for sliding a short top of the disc to the ground slide to the basket. It's a fast green that continues downhill after the pin. There's a downhill slope behind the first hole too but here the green is level unlike with the second hole.

The flight lines that are optimal for these holes are maybe a bit different. On the first hole the disc should fly upright for best predictability and tree penetration without lateral motion for the first 90 5 of the length. After about 170' of 200' on the first hole the disc should turn on the top of the disc being pointed downwards and landing like that skipping or sliding the rest of the way stopping before the slope 15' beyond the pin. If the disc flips the disc can't move more than 4' to the left of the initial line or it'll hit a row of trees guarding the green. Tommy leads to a thicker bunch of trees and a downhill slope on the right side of the green. The second hole has more available lines and placements with less obstacles. As long as one gets beyond the verticalish drop to the green area under 10' right of the basket and not too far downhill.

Today on the practice field I got the poorest results with the Epic. I tried several grip variations. Thumb tip squeezing towards the seam of the thumb and index finger. And thumb straigth on the widest part of the rim. Other fingers all on the top of the disc or middle and index fingers over the top side of the wing. Or the disc removed from the seam of the index finger and thumb for more mobility and wider arc. And combinations of these finger positions. With every grip the Epic seemed to wobble in the air and always fell the shortest of the discs I threw. It flipped about 225 degrees dropping at 10-15 degrees after the flip.

The best distance was 200' on level ground. I threw other throws for over an hour before throwing twice with these discs with thumbers in the end. I really had to concentrate on gripping and form to get to within 20' of my best throws. This demonstrated to me the differences in form vs distance. I got best distances with the disc out of the seam of the thumb and index finger to having the outermost joint of the thumb on the corner of the rim and wing of the disc. Index and middle fingers on top of each other touching each other. Middle finger lower on the top side of the rim. Rim under the center of the middle finger.

I threw with elbow leading chopping the elbow straigth as late as possible snapping forward with the wrist as fast as possible as late as possible from as far back as the wrist could be turned. Left leg up in the beginning like a baseball pitcher with the same motion with legs, hips and shoulders coiled back initially firing in order from down to up before the arm swing. Focusing on maximum acceleration as late as possible with each part coming to full speed right after the hit. Following through with the arm to behind the rump to the right. With and without running with sharp push with the right leg shifting weigth forward.

Leaving the shoulder turning with a quick turn at the end of the motion from the throw cut 12-17' out of the flight with each disc. Sluggish wrist snapping cut another 3-10'. Throwing with 40-60 degree angle up usually cut 5-35'. But somtimes the Leopard, Teerex x, Predator and RI would turn upside down and slowly if at all turned more with much of the flight upside down so that the dustance really didn't suffer much at all. With the Leopard being the least susceptible to distance loss because it got far in every angle and amount of flip.

I also threw 169 CFR Teerex X, 169 SRP Raging Inferno, 166 Star Wraith, 173 Champion Leopard, 173 Z XS and 173 Z Predator. I really was surprised about the Leopard. It was the longest disc out of these for me. And the flight lines changed the least between 20 degrees to 55-60 degrees upwards that I threw. The Teerex came next very close. The Predator and RI were shorter and a bit more turning. The rest turned way too much for gap penetration with too much lateral motion and variation in turning between the upward angle of the throws.

The Leopard and the Teerex X are great at minimizing lateral motion. The Leopard could stay unturned for most of the flight or flip over with only about 10' max lateral motion and usually under 7'. Man this is reliable for gap piercing. The Teerex X moves more laterally and turns more but is ok for most situations. With thumbers it just tends to end up right of the initial line which ain't good for the first hole on my home course and disadvantageous for the second hole.

The Leopard and the Teerex X are useful other shots so they just got a new role dropping the XS from my bag :) Unfortunately the Wraith wobbled often and seemed to be the most difficult to keep upright before the hit.

I've got some trouble with reliability of the grip. When I put the disc to the seam of the thumb and index finger I lose vital distance because my distance is marginal. When I have the disc more towards the tips of the fingers the discs sometimes don't stay in upright angle until the hit. Rain made this worse. For predictability I had to drop the disc to the seam.

Am I doing something wrong and what would you suggest for getting more distance? How far do average players throw. How do I get a reliable constant upright angle keeping grip that doesn't cost me distance? Are there things to do with form that change the flipping of the disc to 90 % of the distance? How does one get the disc to fly upright without any flipping all the way through the throw? If I could manage that I'd be close enough to the baskets if the disc stopped. Which means that with the slightest of modifications I should be able to get the disc to land top down. What does tilting the disc clockwise or counterclockwise do?

Are there other things besides the arm speed and amount of snapping that contribute to the rotation of the disc? I can't snap harder now before months of weigth training. Is the arm/shoulder/hip/leg turning to be done as hard as possible like I'm doing now? Every other tip that I didn't know to ask is greatly appreciated too.

JR, I think you have a tendency to get too focused on the details in the throw.
When I throw the overhand, I try to focus on some central points. First I want my grip to be strong and really hold the disc tight. (For me this is more difficult with thumber) and second I want to to throw the disc. Not hurl it. You need to be careful with your shoulder.

For me the difference is mostly in how fast they flip round. More understable discs flip faster.

For me the tomahawk is longer, but I try to switch to whatever fade angle is needed.(thumber/right vs. tomahawk/left)

If you get an opportunity, I would suggest you try to get video of yourself and upload that. It is easier to give suggestions based on that

rehder said:
JR, I think you have a tendency to get too focused on the details in the throw.
When I throw the overhand, I try to focus on some central points. First I want my grip to be strong and really hold the disc tight. (For me this is more difficult with thumber) and second I want to to throw the disc. Not hurl it. You need to be careful with your shoulder.

For me the difference is mostly in how fast they flip round. More understable discs flip faster.

For me the tomahawk is longer, but I try to switch to whatever fade angle is needed.(thumber/right vs. tomahawk/left)

If you get an opportunity, I would suggest you try to get video of yourself and upload that. It is easier to give suggestions based on that

I don't try to think of everything while I'm throwing. I'm just giving people an idea what's going on. For that and learning I analyse my throws afterwards.

I too noticed that gripping strength has a large effect on dependapilibility. But tight grip really slows down my arm speed and shortens my throws a lot. I'm not sure if I understand the difference between throwing and hurling the same way you do. Trying to get everything perfect usually doesn't work and when it does there's only about 10-15' more distance. I only have a couple of feet difference between thumber and tommy now. Thumber certainly is more difficult to grip tight.

I certainly have sore muscles in many places :) I warmed up and stretched thoroughly before throwing. I threw much more and with shorter intervals than during rounds. I try not to get hurt. I stopped throwing when I got aches.

I know about the rule of thumb about overstable discs flying better usually. Which doesn't compute in the case of Leopards. It's odd that Scweberger uses the Leopard as well for thumbers although mostly it's Firebirds for him. So I'll need to try my Max, Destroyer, Flick and Spirit to check what they do for me.

I'll try to ask a friend to video me. Timing and the fact that he hasn't learnt to use the video function of his camera might put off this for a long while. I've been irked by not having a video camera for just this reason.

What kind of distance do average players get with overhead throws? And what is needed for 250-300' without the Epic? I've seen many Finns throw way farther than me. Is it just a matter of muscle power or wrist snapping speed or arm speed, form, something else or a combination of several things?

Disc shootout #2 today. A couple of feet of extra distance for the best throw when I didn't try to turn as much with my legs, hips and shoulders. Standing still didn't loose me distance vs run up so I actually gained more for standing still throws. Dunno if I messed up with my running.

Max coiling back with my current experience isn't helping. I concentrated on the snap more and I attribute the extra average and maximum distance to it. Thumbers are mostly out for me because after turning they fly to the right for me and I almost got a blister in my thumb. Whereas my tommies are straight and accurate and dependable. Or a bit to the left. That's why the comments of the discs apply for tommies only.

I had 10 discs with me and some of them aren't worth mentioning in this regard because of poor performance

The Max flew the straightest but is also shorter by 30' than the best discs and drops like a rock because of the overstability. It flies mostly upright.

Broken in 175 Star Teerex is better than my 169 CFR Teerex X by a bit. The regular Teerex likes to fly upside down for a longer while thus equalling the Leopard for consistent max distance. With lateral motion being between the Leopard and the TRX the STR is very usable disc for me. It tends to roll and/or slide after the landing which kills it for the two holes I described in my initial post in this thread. The Leopard is a bit better stopper sometimes but when it rolls it rolls for a long time because of the round edge.

My pearly green Z Flick 172 is 3-9' shorter usually compared to the STR but this baby has breaks. It tends to hit the ground and hop some inches up and do flips in the air and stop on the ground. For reliability on the two holes I'll go for this disc for the next playing session to see if it's as nice as it would seem. It has more of an initial rol moving to the right but it tends to dive with a bit of nose down angle to the left ending up some feet to the left of the initial line which suits perfectly for both holes.

17? Champion Starfire moves more laterally than the Flick and is 3-6' shorter on average.

i throw a lot of thumbs with starfires. best shot for a short course if your arm can throw it. i find that you can remove left to right play with the lines by throwing higher or with more hyzer or a combination of both. the hyzer thing was what took the most for me. also, the epic is not a good disc to thumb, better with tomms. a champ starfire is what i throw and i get about 250ft on a good shot. if you played baseball as a kid, the best thing it can be compared to is throwing home from center field. a good, solid run up is needed[take a few steps off the back of the teepad] and then just throw your body into the snap. i can try to take a video throwing one tomorrow if you'd like, but i'd bet there are a few floating around on youtube

JR said:
dependapilibility.

best made up word ever!

To respond to your thoughts on overhand throws, I play a lot with a guy who can throw overhand 350+. He does it through a combination of grip strength and snap, he is an ex-outfielder for his high school baseball team. He throws it just like he did going to home (like Redspexxx mentioned). What he does differently than a lot of people is do the little crow's hop during his run up. That seems to put a lot more power through the throw than when he doesn't do it. He says that he was taught that in baseball and couldn't get near the power he does without it. It is kinda hard to describe, it is just a little hop before the throw that gets his body moving correctly.

His favorite discs to throw are Firebird, Teebird, and leopard depending on how quick he needs it to flip. I know that stability of disc has to do with how quick it flips but I also think that rim weight/ flight plate weight has a lot to also.

P.S. Discraft doesn't have a disc anywhere near as good as the firebird for distance overhand shots.

Frank_Delicious said:
P.S. Discraft doesn't have a disc anywhere near as good as the firebird for distance overhand shots.

*chuckle*

I think Monty Koz would have something to say bout the Flick & Reaper.

Best thumber I've ever seen and even rivals/surpases Schwebby.
That over 400' is NOT MB distance.
And that's w/o using an Epic. He hates that POS cause it's inconsistant.

a champion VIPER goes FAR as well, farther than a firebird, much farther.. If anyone has any laying around....lemme kno

redspexxx said:
i throw a lot of thumbs with starfires. best shot for a short course if your arm can throw it. i find that you can remove left to right play with the lines by throwing higher or with more hyzer or a combination of both. the hyzer thing was what took the most for me. also, the epic is not a good disc to thumb, better with tomms. a champ starfire is what i throw and i get about 250ft on a good shot. if you played baseball as a kid, the best thing it can be compared to is throwing home from center field. a good, solid run up is needed[take a few steps off the back of the teepad] and then just throw your body into the snap. i can try to take a video throwing one tomorrow if you'd like, but i'd bet there are a few floating around on youtube

First of all thanks so much everyone. You've changed my form already and it feels good. I'll have to get some throws in to see what happens but things look up.

If the Starfire in champ works for you I suggest auditioning other drivers as well. The discs that i get straighter and farther than Starfire X that I've tried out so far are In order of length and straigthness: Champ Leopard, Star Teerex (broken in), CFR Teerex X, Z Flick and I may have left somthing out. For less distance but killer straight line a Max. These findings are mine with previous form so they may not describe what happens to me the next time I play with my new form or how things go for you.

It's always good to have more videos so if it's not a bother please do send your video. Speaking of which I need to check out my video collection because I've never analyzed other videos than Schwebby doing a thumber either here in technique analysis section or the video was in the other place where Blake has videos the URL of which I've forgotten. Schwebby does the crow hop in this video. There are two angles of the throw. I need to pay attention to a couple of details I noticed from reading the Discraft article. They transformed my form drastically by influencing other parts of my form as well.

Frank_Delicious said:
JR said:
dependapilibility.

best made up word ever!

To respond to your thoughts on overhand throws, I play a lot with a guy who can throw overhand 350+. He does it through a combination of grip strength and snap, he is an ex-outfielder for his high school baseball team. He throws it just like he did going to home (like Redspexxx mentioned). What he does differently than a lot of people is do the little crow's hop during his run up. That seems to put a lot more power through the throw than when he doesn't do it. He says that he was taught that in baseball and couldn't get near the power he does without it. It is kinda hard to describe, it is just a little hop before the throw that gets his body moving correctly.

His favorite discs to throw are Firebird, Teebird, and leopard depending on how quick he needs it to flip. I know that stability of disc has to do with how quick it flips but I also think that rim weight/ flight plate weight has a lot to also.

Muaahhahahahaa! That's a funny brain fart. That's what I get for writing when tired. That's really a Freudian slip because the excess letters in the word mean wiener in Finnish and I'm not talking about the edible kind :) Yeah I know what kind of word play one could use here in English too so let's spare the sensitive ones this time shall we? :-D

After reading and trying out the grip in the article by Discraft I got a lot more stable and strong grip than before. I was using more pressure from the index finger towards the thumb rather than vice versa. My finger positioning on the disc was different and I didn't have the fingers straight at the bottom side of the disc. I'm gonna try a couple of variations that felt good when I tried them at home without trying to throw.

I assume that things are the same with tommies as with other throws where a stronger grip gives a better distance potential. I'm not at all sure if I execute the crow hop correctly and I don't wonder the awkwardness and stiffness of my execution because I've tried it so few times. I get a nice weight shift with stand still throws so the difference might not be that critical to me now because I get my body working ok. Maybe not fast enough but that's a matter of training and I don't suppose to be that awkward with running for long. The Discraft article suggested at least three run up steps which I haven't tried yet. I had fewer steps so far.

I noticed that my wrist was turned to the right of the disc which makes the snapping of the wrist to go only a little in the way of range and awkwardly because the motion is done with small muscles. The motion is similar to laying palm flat against a table top and moving the wrist left and right except that with the throw it's not that much sideways. It's between that and moving the wrist up and down on a table top. I've got a couple of grip variations to try that almost give this up and down motion with stronger muscles in a more comfortable position thus with less muscle tension and the best of all a lot more moving range. That ought to help with acceleration and spinning of the disc.

This lead me to notice that there are at least two ways of moving the arm above the shoulder. Thus far I've neglected throwing with the arm straight up at the rip compared to having the arm tilted to the right from the shoulder. It's less stiff to throw this way. I tilt my elbow and wrist so that the disc is upright at the rip when the arm is to the girht of upright position. I don't know which way is more accurate or longer. Ideas? A straight arm would give a longer arc and more speed from physics point of view but I'm not sure if power generation is equal. I seem to remember from the Schwebby video by Blake that he tilts his body to the left while throwing. I think without checking the video that his hand is perfectly straight up or close to it.

I've never held a firechicken. Which mold variation would be best for as straight and little sideways moving throw as possible? How would they compare to the discs I've gotten to fly straight?

The Euphoric Nightmare said:
Frank_Delicious said:

*chuckle*

I think Monty Koz would have something to say bout the Flick & Reaper.

Best thumber I've ever seen and even rivals/surpases Schwebby.
That over 400' is NOT MB distance.
And that's w/o using an Epic. He hates that POS cause it's inconsistant.

I dunno with which disc Finnish Ville Piippo has thrown 500' overhand. I'm not sure if it was a thumber or a tommy. Epic is a good quess as far as the disc goes. I really like the Flick for going left with a tommy and stopping well.

JR said:
Epic is a good quess as far as the disc goes.

Epic for overhands.

You'll get more D out of it, if you can get it to flip all the way upright and have it glide like a regular air shot.
But good luck getting it to do the exact same line time and time again.
That inconsistancy is just doesn't make the extra D worth it.

It's basically a WTF (what the f**k) disc.
A disc to get others to ohhh and ahhh. :wink:

Best choices for consistant D: Firechicken, Flick, Reaper...any super overstable wind disc.

My 168 destroyer was flying really well overhand the other day as well. I was messing around with it to beat it in a bit. I normally use a beat z flick for the overhand and the destroyer flew a lot like it on very similar lines. I've also been trying to learn the epic but it needs an open area to work in and flip over to glide. It does go REALLY far when I get it right but I just haven't found the magic.

The Euphoric Nightmare said:
JR said:
Epic is a good quess as far as the disc goes.

Epic for overhands.

You'll get more D out of it, if you can get it to flip all the way upright and have it glide like a regular air shot.
But good luck getting it to do the exact same line time and time again.
That inconsistancy is just doesn't make the extra D worth it.

It's basically a WTF (what the f**k) disc.
A disc to get others to ohhh and ahhh. :wink:

Best choices for consistant D: Firechicken, Flick, Reaper...any super overstable wind disc.

I can't get mine to stay flat and nose down after the barrel roll but I haven't tried to give initial hyzer or anhyzer to it. And the last time I tried was a year ago before this week. I think I lack power to throw it right. I got the infamous dive bombings out of it making it shorter than any other disc I've tried. The dropping was exaggerated by being hyzer in the dive. From what I've read about the Epic it needs to be thrown high. I've barely reached heights that I've seen recommended but the disc really wasn't moving. With form changes I need to retry it. Then there's the matter of tuning it and I don't know what to do to it exactly. I think that turning the sides up ought to make the disc more overstable so for a little more understability might suite me for getting the disc to flip more to go flat and nose down with my form and power.

I got a bit different lines out of my TRX today but it was during rounds and from that I can't say about distances but I was glad to see a 230' throw fly like it did before with my Champ Leopard. It landed 4' higher than where I threw it from. So I need to try out all the versions I've thought of form and grip and do another shootout. And that's for standing still throws. You often can't do run ups so standing still is necessary to learn and I need to learn to throw without running before I try to learn that.

To tune the epic for easier flippage you bend the disc into itself at 3/9 and 12/6 oclock. Bend it all the way in until the two outer edges touch each other then turn the disc and repeat. You will see after a few tweaks that the epic now flips over easier, and sometimes you can tweak it too much and it does a death spiral with multiple flips. Bending it the opposite way makes it harder to flip. Also remember that the epic is very sensitive to wind, any head wind makes it flip easier and any tail wind makes it very difficult to flip flat.
Hope this helps

To tune the epic for easier flippage you bend the disc into itself at 3/9 and 12/6 oclock. Bend it all the way in until the two outer edges touch each other then turn the disc and repeat. You will see after a few tweaks that the epic now flips over easier, and sometimes you can tweak it too much and it does a death spiral with multiple flips. Bending it the opposite way makes it harder to flip. Also remember that the epic is very sensitive to wind, any head wind makes it flip easier and any tail wind makes it very difficult to flip flat.
Hope this helps
I think I bent it too much. When I dont get the glide it's because it flips over like three times and crashes. I'll have to experiment I have a good arm from yrs and yrs of baseball so I should be able to bomb the hell out of this thing. Maybee I need to just bend it back the other way a bit. Does your boy Bear bend his epic in as you described? [/code]

Yes, I do bend mine, if the I need more or less stability. Factors include wind speed and direction. Uphill/downhill shots.

Be one with the Epic.