• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Overstable Discs Speeds 6-8

You believe there are shots you can't execute with a 5 speed Justice or a 9 speed Firebird?

Oh yea. But my lack of skill is beside the point.
Couldn't the same be said of any stable or US speed 6-8 as well? But there are plenty of those. Even Innova, who have a ton of molds and overlap all over the place, barely have anything in that OS spot that isn't OOP or on its way.

I've been wondering the same thing. Seems like an obvious space to fill. Got a hole that's a little too long to comfortably throw an OS midrange at but the shot is maybe a little too sensitive for a speed 9+.

Or maybe it's a relatively short hole, but the wind is just bad enough that one would feel more comfortable with something in the lower-end FWD line-up.

Or a Trident or Banshee. XXX works too. I used lat 64 Sparks before switching to Tridents. But like you said, it's not easy finding Tridents, Banshees and Sparks. XXXs are probably the easiest to find.

Millenium MOAB
Gateway Blaze...

But seriously... Just buy a MD4, or a wasp... You'll be better off.
Need faster? Metal Flake Teebird, Felon, Firebird, Champion Thunderbird....

MVP Resistor is a great OS fairway, 7 speed. It powers down great, so well in fact, I haven't really needed very OS mid. It also can handle wind extremely well. I think it was the second MVP disc I ever bought. Its been in my bag for 6 years, been thru hell and back and still doesn't turn on its own. Its lost some of its fade, basically its a flat champ teebird now. After my neutron finally starting losing fade a couple years ago I put a sparkle proton in the bag and it hasn't changed much, if at all. The two make a great pair of OS utility discs and work great alongside my Crave which is just a laser beam after its 5+ years in the bag.

Last edited:
I like the Spark for overstable fairway duties. There are some runs of Teebirds that are really overstable as well, but most of them are of course normal

But with a 20mm Rim the XXX has a wider rim than most 9-speed discs . .

MVP resistor or Prodigy F1 is nice smaller Rim OS fairways

I've wondered about this. I've thought about tinkering with my utility OS slot, and the XXX seems appealing for its combo of overstability and relatively low speed. But the specs make it seem like it should be a Speed 9 or 10. Does it feel like a speed 9 but fly like a speed 7?

Blaze, Banshee, and XXX are what you're looking for.

It's kind of a niche slot, similar to a speed 6 understable fairway or fast understable mid.

You believe there are shots you can't execute with a 5 speed Justice or a 9 speed Firebird?

I've been carrying a Zone and PDx lately for utility OS. But on days where the winds are sustained at 20mph+ I like to carry a beefy fairway, too. That's a Felon for now. At times I've wanted it to fly slower, since the gap from Zone to Felon feels much bigger than the gap from Felon to PDx.

So for me, the decision isn't a Speed 7 in addition to a Justice and Firebird. It's a disc that can split that gap and replace both.

I've wondered about this. I've thought about tinkering with my utility OS slot, and the XXX seems appealing for its combo of overstability and relatively low speed. But the specs make it seem like it should be a Speed 9 or 10. Does it feel like a speed 9 but fly like a speed 7?

For me, XXX is noticeably slower than a Firebird.