• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Fairway

AdamCaudle

Double Eagle Member
I'm looking to get a overstable fairway driver now. I'm looking at the Whippet and Banshee. Any recommendations from other companies? I'm worried the Banshee will not be as overstable as I want but Joe's Chart makes it sound really overstable. Thoughts?

The champ banshees I've thrown were like glideless, slower Teebirds IMO. I don't know what you are wanting one for but I just use a Starfire or a Neb for overstable fairway action.

Well that's no good. I have a Teebird. Hmm. What about Firebirds? Or would the Teebird Overlap with that a lot? I'm trying to throw as few molds as possible while maintaining a diverse shot selection.

I love my Banshee and have not found anything that compares really. I got it for shoter forehand shots and unfortunately it works too well sometimes. I am looking at picking up a Drone from Discraft for a super overstable midrange or a Gator from Innova. I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it.

max weight gold striker fits the bill. it replaced my star TL. a bit more overstable and a crazy clean flight path. controllable and skip-tastic. :thmbup:

Wait... It replaced your TL? TL's are pretty understable are they not? Is the striker a fairway type driver? Like a thin rim and all that?

Wait... It replaced your TL? TL's are pretty understable are they not? Is the striker a fairway type driver? Like a thin rim and all that?

my beat in, heavy star TL is straight to a little hyzery, which is what i gauge it against. striker is a longer fairway driver with a bit more hyzer. i imagine it will beat in similarly to my star TL. i use mr. striker for controlled hyzer or uphill shots from about 250 (uphill) or 280-350 flat. comes out of the hand HOT.

Banshee rocks! Fire bird and predator are similar and rock! Warrior is like a longer more overstable wasp if that's what you're looking for!

I think Strikers have a bit too wide of a rim to be a "pure" fairway driver, just a smidge. They are sweet though. I just wish the one I had wasn't made from the same material as Wonder Woman's plane.

Firebirds are called distance drivers but they ain't really, not by today's standards. A Reaper, Predator, or my underdog choice of a SOLF might fit your bill as well.

This thread might drop some knowledge on you.

Edit: Settle down Will.

The Whippet is a great overstable fairway driver, very predictable. The Whippet X's are close to as overstable as they come, though the stock ones are pretty overstable to start with. One notch more overstable than a Viper. I still carry one for spike hyzers.

I think Strikers have a bit too wide of a rim to be a "pure" fairway driver, just a smidge. They are sweet though. I just wish the one I had wasn't made from the same material as Wonder Woman's plane.

Firebirds are called distance drivers but they ain't really, not by today's standards. A Reaper, Predator, or my underdog choice of a SOLF might fit your bill as well.

This thread might drop some knowledge on you.

Edit: Settle down Will.

the devil that thought up clear plastic discs needs to be taken out back and flogged...:thmbdown:

The Innova Whippet and the Gateway Blaze are both very overstable fairway drivers. The Innova Banshee and Millennium EXP1 are less stable and slightly faster. The Innova Firebird and Discraft Predator are even faster so they have more distance potential and are quite overstable.

I think Latitude 64 has a disc that would fall in here called the XXX, but I know nothing about it.

If you are throwing less than 300' I'd say Banshee or EXP1. If you can throw over 300' it just depends on what else is in you bag and what shots you specifically want the disc to cover.

Well I am throwing right at 300 now with my Teebird and QJLS. So I think the Banshee will be good for me. I like the feel of it too. I want it to cover most of my forehands and overhands, as well as something I can put on big hyzer lines for backhand.

I'd stick with the same kind of weight you use for your other drivers. If you want to make sure it is as overstable as you can get it you should go max weight.

Would you guys recommend a max weight Banshee? Or something a little lighter?

Heavier the better if you're using it for flicks, OH, and other utilitarian type scenarios. After all, the heavier the disc, the easier it is to control (generally). It's a fairway driver so don't be afraid to get one in the 170s. I'd go maxed out. It takes some finesse but those Teebirds will sail FH too.

Yeah I get all my drivers at 170+ just for reliability issues. I'm not really concerned with 20 extra feet, I can get that with improved form and snap. And teebirds do rock for forehands, I take a little off and throw it on a medium hyzer and watch it pop up and sail. My forehands are finally catching up to my backhands again.