• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburgh Road Trip

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Alright fellow golfers, I am making one of those "I'm taking a road trip and wish to pretend I do not know how to use DGCR" threads.

A couple of us are heading down to stay at Seven Springs, 60 miles SE of Pittsburgh. There is actually a course on site. It is a ski resort and would love to hear any feedback on the resort, if anyone has been there. Spending about 5 days there and have an itinerary. Looking for some feedback on the courses.

Sat........Moraine
Sun.......Deer Lakes
Mon.......Orange Crush
Tues......Woodshed
Wed.......Whippin' Post
Thurs.....Knob Hill

Buddy want to play Ditto Farms. I am not sure where this might fit in. We would likely play it as a second course one day. Which of the above is it closest to?

I know....."you guys should play two or three courses a day". We are old and fat, more inclined to play a great course, head back to the pool for a beer or six and a nice dinner, followed my a drink or six.

Thanks for any input.

Couple of thoughts:

1. Takes a while to navigate the twisty-turny road leading to Whippin' Post/Woodshed. Probably only want to drive that once. I'd recommend playing one, chilling at the clubhouse for a while, and then playing the other. I knocked out both in an afternoon (and I am also old and fatter than optimal).

2. Ditto Farms is about an hour's drive from Whippin' Post/Woodshed.

3. Pittsburgh has some really good 9-hole courses that you may want to use as warm-up for one of the bigger 18's.

4. Schenley Park in downtown Pittsburgh is a very fun course that you might want to work into your schedule. Good for the ego after Moraine especially. :D

Have fun!

Couple of thoughts:

1. Takes a while to navigate the twisty-turny road leading to Whippin' Post/Woodshed. Probably only want to drive that once. I'd recommend playing one, chilling at the clubhouse for a while, and then playing the other. I knocked out both in an afternoon (and I am also old and fatter than optimal).

2. Ditto Farms is about an hour's drive from Whippin' Post/Woodshed.

3. Pittsburgh has some really good 9-hole courses that you may want to use as warm-up for one of the bigger 18's.

4. Schenley Park in downtown Pittsburgh is a very fun course that you might want to work into your schedule. Good for the ego after Moraine especially. :D

Have fun!

I don't think I realized that both were on the same property. Great suggestion. We have played Schenley, nice park that hold some special memories of a buddy we played with, that has since passed away.

yo! don't sleep on two mile run extension and linbrook, two of the top 9 holes in the country if you have time

the seven springs course is kinda crazy! HUGE shots...also HUGE grass if they haven't mowed it...our group of 4 lost 6 discs and found 7 others....but it's a monster, very well designed, and worth the lift ticket price...it will, however, take you at least 4 hours to play...i'd say at least play 9 holes to get some bombs in!

Knob hill just put in an awesome uphill par 5 - more great design.

also, the pines, buhl park, and slipper rock are ALL AMAZING. I know you can't play them all, but you got a lot of WV and OH on there, and there's tons of PA left if you wanted to stay in the state haha.

by next year, we'll have two more full 18 hole champion courses...one of which is going to be one of the longest in the world...we are #blessed here!

here is a handy map in case you need it! bit.ly/PGHdiscgolfmap - google seems to be not working at the moment, but the map should pop up eventually...

Last edited:
yo! don't sleep on two mile run extension and linbrook, two of the top 9 holes in the country if you have time

the seven springs course is kinda crazy! HUGE shots...also HUGE grass if they haven't mowed it...our group of 4 lost 6 discs and found 7 others....but it's a monster, very well designed, and worth the lift ticket price...it will, however, take you at least 4 hours to play...i'd say at least play 9 holes to get some bombs in!

Knob hill just put in an awesome uphill par 5 - more great design.

also, the pines, buhl park, and slipper rock are ALL AMAZING. I know you can't play them all, but you got a lot of WV and OH on there, and there's tons of PA left if you wanted to stay in the state haha.

by next year, we'll have two more full 18 hole champion courses...one of which is going to be one of the longest in the world...we are #blessed here!

here is a handy map in case you need it! bit.ly/PGHdiscgolfmap - google seems to be not working at the moment, but the map should pop up eventually...

Thanks man. Though we are staying at 7 Springs, playing the course will depend on the condition of the course. We are staying there more for the pool, drinks and food. Good not to have to drive much toward the end of the day. :D

Sounds like a great trip. I stayed there a few years ago - nice pool and area to hang out. I agree with a lot of the previous posts, but also want to add that Seth Burton is in the same park as Orange Crush, and is a great compliment. Both have two tees and two permanent baskets, so 8 total layouts to choose from in the park. Although, Orange Crush will leave you feeling beat down. They go around the park in opposite directions and cross near each other after hole 9 on both, so you could also combine 9 holes of each if you want. I usually like to warm up with SB front 9 and then head back in the opposite direction playing OC back 9. Just an idea. If you only want to play 18 holes, then I recommend sticking with just playing the entire 18 of OC.

Also, the course at Seven Springs is well-designed given the land offered. Just wasn't very well taken care of for the holes on the mountain itself. Definitely some fun shots though.

Last thought I have is that Linbrook is just minutes away from Knob Hill. Knob Hill isn't a super long or grueling round, but Linbrook is a strenuous nine holes. It's not always kept in the best shape in the summer, but one of the most underrated courses out there IMO.

Sounds like a great trip. I stayed there a few years ago - nice pool and area to hang out. I agree with a lot of the previous posts, but also want to add that Seth Burton is in the same park as Orange Crush, and is a great compliment. Both have two tees and two permanent baskets, so 8 total layouts to choose from in the park. Although, Orange Crush will leave you feeling beat down. They go around the park in opposite directions and cross near each other after hole 9 on both, so you could also combine 9 holes of each if you want. I usually like to warm up with SB front 9 and then head back in the opposite direction playing OC back 9. Just an idea. If you only want to play 18 holes, then I recommend sticking with just playing the entire 18 of OC.

Also, the course at Seven Springs is well-designed given the land offered. Just wasn't very well taken care of for the holes on the mountain itself. Definitely some fun shots though.

Last thought I have is that Linbrook is just minutes away from Knob Hill. Knob Hill isn't a super long or grueling round, but Linbrook is a strenuous nine holes. It's not always kept in the best shape in the summer, but one of the most underrated courses out there IMO.

Linbrook is in pretty good condition right now actually! as with all PA courses, if you get off the fairway, the bumble will getcha (bumble is what we call the rough haha).

OK.
Revised a bit.
Sat.......Moraine
Sun.......Deer Lakes
Mon......Orange Crush/Seth Burton
Tues.....Ditto Farms
Wed.....Whippin' Post/Woodshed
Thurs....Knob Hill

Sat/Sun....DGLO back home......lol, if I can walk or lift my arm.

Depending on how we are feeling, hitting up Linbrook, Pines, Buhl park, Slippery rock and Two Mile Run Extension is on the list.

Any feedback on the second list?

How are the ticks over in that neck of the woods? Tick checks have become part of the Michigan disc golf routine, but knowing how bad they are could provide for extra vigilance.

Last edited:
Second list looks good!

Slippery Rock is the only one I have played on your optional list. Meh.

I hear good things about Linbrook and Two Mile but you'll probably get more comprehensive feedback from locals.

East Coast has had a very wet spring so insect life is flourishing, especially mosquitoes. DEET and routine tick checks recommended.

Hey!
Pittsburgh is, as you know, a great place for a weekend of disc golf. You have a great list here!

Let me know if you want me to tag on for a round, I'll show you some local routes. I am closest to Knob Hill, but not against going to Deer Lakes or Moraine on any given day.

If you are interested in leagues, every day of the week has one except for Saturday, so let me know if you want that schedule.

Ticks are a problem, so wear bug spray. Also bring lots of water to every single course on your list, lol.

Again, let me know if you want to play a round! If not, then I will see you at the Great Lakes Open!

TICKS ARE PRETTY BAD HERE

Yeah....Eastern US has been bad for a while. We just started seeing them in Michigan, last summer or so. I went out today and bought some permetherin. Going to treat the carpet in the back of the SUV, my shoes, socks, pants, shirts and disc golf bag. Use some DEET on top of it. Thorough ticks checks as always too.

Thanks for the heads up. I hate those little basturds.

Hey!
Pittsburgh is, as you know, a great place for a weekend of disc golf. You have a great list here!

Let me know if you want me to tag on for a round, I'll show you some local routes. I am closest to Knob Hill, but not against going to Deer Lakes or Moraine on any given day.

If you are interested in leagues, every day of the week has one except for Saturday, so let me know if you want that schedule.

Ticks are a problem, so wear bug spray. Also bring lots of water to every single course on your list, lol.

Again, let me know if you want to play a round! If not, then I will see you at the Great Lakes Open!

:thmbup:

Despite my itinerary below, my buddy's not sold on all the courses.....yet. We are indeed going to hit Knob though, for sure. It would be short notice and on a weekday morning/afternoon. I will shoot you a message once we iron out what day we are heading there.

Just gonna be like a tick and stick to your thread. :gross:

Our group is looking hard at PA for next years trip so this should be helpful along with your feedback. Had a chance to play Deer Lake a couple years ago on my way to Virginia Beach and cant wait to get back there. Good luck!

Just gonna be like a tick and stick to your thread. :gross:

Our group is looking hard at PA for next years trip so this should be helpful along with your feedback. Had a chance to play Deer Lake a couple years ago on my way to Virginia Beach and cant wait to get back there. Good luck!

Thanks FP.

I think the wife and I are going to head to Philly this fall too. I am thinking about checking out some of next year's worlds courses. Nobody tell her there are ticks in Pennsylvania. ;)

:thmbup:

Despite my itinerary below, my buddy's not sold on all the courses.....yet. We are indeed going to hit Knob though, for sure. It would be short notice and on a weekday morning/afternoon. I will shoot you a message once we iron out what day we are heading there.

I'm curious. Did this trip already happen?

The itinerary looked pretty good. If it's hot and humid, Orange Crush and even Seth Burton can be downright exhausting. I haven't played Whipping Post but I can't imagine it being easier. Deer Lakes and Moraine are exhausting just because they're long with some (but less) ups and downs, but they're very manageable if you have time and are must plays. I still haven't played Knob myself, but I can't wait. The terrain around here makes for great disc golf. Hope you had (or will have?) lots of fun!

The itinerary looked pretty good. If it's hot and humid, Orange Crush and even Seth Burton can be downright exhausting. I haven't played Whipping Post but I can't imagine it being easier. Deer Lakes and Moraine are exhausting just because they're long with some (but less) ups and downs, but they're very manageable if you have time and are must plays. I still haven't played Knob myself, but I can't wait. The terrain around here makes for great disc golf. Hope you had (or will have?) lots of fun!
Whipping Post and Woodshed are easier hikes than Orange Crush.

Whipping Post and Woodshed are easier hikes than Orange Crush.

I noticed you liked Orange Crush a lot. (I'm not sure if it was a review or a forum post) That put it on my wish list and I finally got to play it on July 4th. It was exhausting but fun. My favorite was hole 10. I love those downhill tunnels.

The Paw Paw courses look pretty nice. How did you like them? Have you played the Wisp resort? I need to bag a Maryland course, and it's the closest to me by far. It looks expensive and probably not amazing, but I'll definitely get over there at some point!