• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plant knee problems?

Rob Mc

I've been playing competitively for about three years now on a bad left knee (replaced ACL, removed meniscus), but as a RHBH-dominant thrower, I haven't had any issues with it. However, I planted weirdly at my last tournament (a soupy, muddy, joke of a day) and my right knee has been feeling weak since. I didn't play for the rest of that week until Friday, but it still felt weird.

Any suggestions for alleviating knee problems other than "Just go for it! If it tears, get surgery and go for it again!"? Form or footwork suggestions?

I've been playing competitively for about three years now on a bad left knee (replaced ACL, removed meniscus), but as a RHBH-dominant thrower, I haven't had any issues with it. However, I planted weirdly at my last tournament (a soupy, muddy, joke of a day) and my right knee has been feeling weak since. I didn't play for the rest of that week until Friday, but it still felt weird.

Any suggestions for alleviating knee problems other than "Just go for it! If it tears, get surgery and go for it again!"? Form or footwork suggestions?

Make sure to follow through and rotate properly. The biggest potential for injury is if you're trying to put the brakes on and end up torquing in weird ways.

If it is sore, take some time off and make sure to ice it and take ibuprofen.

Yeah check your form and balance. If it was just a slip from mud or what not there's not much you can do to fix that other than throw from a standstill or very slow pace in that situation. Slowing down and also a knee brace would be a good idea if you aren't going to rest.

I'm 27 and have had my acl done 3 times with 2 of those being full reconstruction of my knee (right knee). My advice is to strengthen your quads. The stronger your muscles are the less strain on your knees, especially in rotational movement. For disc golf I trim the outer edges of tread on my shoes so I don't catch anything on rotation.

For me staying slow and being overly aware of my foot work is the best way to keep from twisting something. My footwork isn't great yet but every little bit better is helping my game and my knee.

If you're not already doing so, use knee braces. I've played for years on oft-fragile knees, and for long stretches of time an assortment of knee braces kept the pieces together. (Oddly enough, I'm 2 months removed from surgery and not using them now---but they're never far away).

Other than that, take the earlier advice about strengthening the knee, especially quads. Somewhat surprisingly, stretching hamstrings helps too; seems like tight hamstrings pulling on knee makes it less stable somehow.