• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing Disc Golf with Kids

Out of Bounds

I often play with my five year old son and sometimes my four year old daughter.

I have bought them several discs. The lighter discs (less than 150) seem to do better in their hands. I am curious what ideas folks who have young kids or play with kids do to increase the kids enjoyment of the game. My son loves the game my daughter gets bored after abotu 6 holes (though she always wants to come along)

How do we attract youngsters to the game. Locally (San Diego) there are some courses more suited for kids than others, what have folks found that makes a good kids course.

Are there any bags out there that are built for families so I can carry my kids gear and mine in the same bag.

Please share any positive experiences you have had Disc golfing with young children or ideas that might make it more fun for them.

I dont have kids, but I seem to remeber that at one time I was a kid. They just want to be with you. Don't pressure them, just enjoy the fact that they enjoy it. If it progresses to them wanting to ask about form, etc. great, if not just enjoy the time with them, and so will they.

I waould think any larger bag would suffice, perhaps a backpack bag, or something with quads, to minimize load on your back.

I dont have kids, but I seem to remeber that at one time I was a kid. They just want to be with you. Don't pressure them, just enjoy the fact that they enjoy it. If it progresses to them wanting to ask about form, etc. great, if not just enjoy the time with them, and so will they.

I waould think any larger bag would suffice, perhaps a backpack bag, or something with quads, to minimize load on your back.

This ^^^ Couldn't have said it much better if I had tried.

Originally started playing 7 or 8 years ago because I thought DG looked like a fun thing to do with my kids. My son (now 19) enjoys it, but my duaghter never really got into it, even when I let her get "pretty" discs, and, well... Dad got addicted.

I recommend shorter courses and/or more open courses, so they don't get too discouraged at first. Control off the tee on big park courses with all the thick, disc swallowing brush (typical in the midwest) can be tough enough for intermediate players, let alone kids starting out.

Also suggest playing with them on courses that get less traffic because you're less likely to have to explain what it is those people are smoking in that colorful glass pipe. Then again, maybe you want to use that as a teachable moment.
Highly recommend 150 class Shark to help them get started - great disc for small children to learn the game, and a basic putter they like the look and feel of. I'd stay away from any high speed drivers. My son was fine with a 150 SHar and a 150 Storm for years.

Last edited:
Also see if there are any kids leagues. We have one locally called Underage Drivers.

They just want to be with you. Don't pressure them, just enjoy the fact that they enjoy it. If it progresses to them wanting to ask about form, etc. great, if not just enjoy the time with them, and so will they.

I golf with my 6yr old daughter all the time and this^ is the best advice you will ever hear.

I don't have my own kids, but I teach at an all-girls high school. Since women are so underrepresented in disc golf, I'm trying to figure out ways to communicate and share my passion for the sport with the girls. Definitely planning on an afternoon or weekend activity once the school year starts in the fall.

My nephew turns 2 in August and I should be an Uncle x2 in July/August.

/patiently waits a few more years.

I play with my nephews all the time (5 of them ages 7-14). Accept that some kids will like it and some will not. I always just try make the round fun. Always compliment a good throw, throw out high fives, play side games and although this may sound wierd, make fun of them in a good humored way when a throw goes errant and then let them have another throw from the same spot, giving them a chance at redemption.

Make the rules clear but allow them to bend/break them whenever they want (until they want to play tourneys). If you are going to play a course a little farther away, make a trip out of it with something non disc golf included (they will associate disc golf with fun stuff).

Playing the duece or die courses is your best best with kids but after playing for about a year my 9 and 10 year old nephews can play a full round on a championship level, par 66's before crashing. Courses with playgrounds in the park are great because if they do get tired of throwing they can go play while you finish up.

Once again always try to make the rounds fun and never be discouraging. If you are getting frustrated by how many throws they take, or how long the rounds are you are probably not the best person to take them out.

My brother / neighbor / fellow course owner has almost the exact situation as the O.P., except the girl's 5, the boy's 4. The girl plays with us sometimes but rarely the whole course. The boy will play all day, putt in the yard for a half hour, watch disc golf videos.....

Innova makes kids' discs in very light weights, and they've got discs from 115g - 140g.

Everyone's already posted most of the good advice. They're having fun, and being with Dad. Offer instruction but don't impose it. Let them decide how much they want to play. If they decide to putt with the firebird because its red, or with the sidewinder because they like the snake picture, let'em.

Be sure to teach them the forehand. Small hands work much better with this throw than the backhand.

I used to keep to easier nine hole courses and stop for ice cream after a round. Whatever you do, don't try to teach them too much at one time. Ask if they want advice and don't be too critical.

I play with my 6 year old daughter at least once a week. She throws a 105g Polecat 40-60 feet. The combination of the light disc and getting to spend time with Dad out on the course is all she needs. We take the wagon and she makes at least a drive on every hole, sometimes she plays the hole all the way through. Its a blast!

I play Disc Golf with my 6 and 7 year-old every Sunday in the Spring and Summer. I recommend getting easy to throw light weight discs. At Saturday's SC Juniors, I saw a lot of the younger kids throwing high speed plastic and the tourney gave each kid a Blizzard Wraith. Way too fast, even in lighter weights, for most kids under 10 to throw.

Always bring snacks and drinks for your kids. I carry trail mix and fruit when I play with my kids. When their energy lacks or they start to fuss, stop and take a snack break. It is what has saved us from melts downs on the course. A child melting down on the course is not a pretty sight.

My seven year-old throws light weight Cobras, Skeeters and Polecats from Innova and Elements and Majics from Gateway.

My six year-old throws Sonics, Cobras and Skeeters from Innova and Apaches and Elements from Gateway.

The only high speed disc either of my kids throw is the Apache. While high speed, my 6 year-old side arms the heck out it.

My boys want to play because Dad plays. We normally will hit the playground after the round and they'll play while I relax and enjoy being outside.

Gateway will sometimes have specials for 3 light weight discs and regular weight putter for $10 shipped. The light weight discs will be an Apache, Element and Majic. The putter is one of your choice. Great deal.

Last edited:
I play with my kids during road trips...we like to stop at those 9 hole + playground courses...great way for everyone to stretch and break from the drive. If they aren't in the mood to throw mom will stay with them on the playground.

I play a few times a month with my little brother (now 14 but was 11 when he started). When he first started, my dad and I were new to the sport and bought him a pro dart, a (way too heavy at 180g) mako, and an also too heavy 175g TL. The poor kid was so frustrated until about a year ago when I told him to start driving with his dart. His first drive with it he parked a 175ft. hole for his first birdie! The moral of the story is - keep it simple. It's been said before by others more learned than myself, but until they're comfortable with their putters and midranges, keep the kids away from the drivers.