• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portable basket recommendations?

Banjar

Bogey Member
Hi,

My wonderful, understanding (discgolfplaying) girlfriend has decided to give me (us) a portable discgolf basket for my birthday, so I'm looking for some recommendations. The available models that I can easily get a hold of are the Ching Skill Shot, the DGA Mach lite and the Discatcher Traveller.. I'm looking for advice and reviews. If this has been discussed in an earlier thread, I'd be happy with a link as well!

Thanks!

I really can't comment otherwise, but DO NOT get the Traveler, if you want anything resembling a real target.

I love my traveller. The mesh helps catch a lot, it's sturdy and it folds down nicely so I can easily throw it in the car to take camping or wherever. Haven't used any of the others, but I've been very happy with the traveller.

I just bought a DGA Mach Lite with some prize money. Its probably the best catching portable basket out there, according to my research, and the price was excellent.

Set-up, about 2-3 minutes. It has a stand piece (with three fold-out legs), and two basket pieces (upper and lower) that are connected top and bottom by chains. Fabric provides a nice rim and lower basket, and also covers the top. You put the stand down, and pop the tube for lower basket part (it has a spring tab), and once you get the inner chain ring into the center tube the top piece pops on. The bottom and top open up like an umbrella.

As mentioned, there is an inner and outer ring of chains. There aren't a huge number of them, but they cover a lot of cross-sectional area, and are arranged in a staggered way that seems to cover most angles and prevent most types of cut through paths. It seems very well-engineered...The chains are the perfect gauge for this basket, and very good at absorbing the disc's momentum and dropping it into the basket. I honestly think this basket catches better than a lot of cheaper permanent baskets out there.

It comes with a carrying case (a bit snug fit to get the pieces in and out, but better than nothing) that also has a shoulder strap. It is around 25 lbs, same as other ultra-light baskets. It is also light enough to lug around and set up your very own dream safari hole somewhere special. Also very good for putting practice at home or on the road.

JHern said:
I just bought a DGA Mach Lite with some prize money. Its probably the best catching portable basket out there, according to my research, and the price was excellent.

Set-up, about 2-3 minutes. It has a stand piece (with three fold-out legs), and two basket pieces (upper and lower) that are connected top and bottom by chains. Fabric provides a nice rim and lower basket, and also covers the top. You put the stand down, and pop the tube for lower basket part (it has a spring tab), and once you get the inner chain ring into the center tube the top piece pops on. The bottom and top open up like an umbrella.

As mentioned, there is an inner and outer ring of chains. There aren't a huge number of them, but they cover a lot of cross-sectional area, and are arranged in a staggered way that seems to cover most angles and prevent most types of cut through paths. It seems very well-engineered...The chains are the perfect gauge for this basket, and very good at absorbing the disc's momentum and dropping it into the basket. I honestly think this basket catches better than a lot of cheaper permanent baskets out there.

It comes with a carrying case (a bit snug fit to get the pieces in and out, but better than nothing) that also has a shoulder strap. It is around 25 lbs, same as other ultra-light baskets. It is also light enough to lug around and set up your very own dream safari hole somewhere special. Also very good for putting practice at home or on the road.
the skill shot is the best catching for sure, but i also prefer the Mach lite as it is the only one that is actually regulation size.....although putting on a skillshot probly makes you more accurate

The base on the Skillshot seems a little better than the one on the Mach Lite as well. I'd say the Skillshot is the better of the 3 (I'd like to get another one).

Skillshot is similar in many ways to the DGA Mach Lite, but I agree with Jesse about its size and shape of the catching area...both are slightly different than the size and catching area of most permanent tournament-quality baskets you'd find on a good course. I didn't want to practice putting with a basket that felt that different (this is why I avoided other portables, as well). This is about the only thing that I didn't like as much about the skillshot. Also, I didn't like the way the chains hang, looked kind of droopy and awkward, and I didn't think they were the perfect gauge.

Anyways, try to check them out in person if you can, before you buy. Lots of folks bring their portables out to tournaments, so you can see an array of different styles and they'll of course let you try them out. Maybe there is some other issue that you'll find in the process that is completely different than the things that are important to any of the rest of us chain-bangers...

Thanks all so far!

The DGA Machlite is probably my first choice if I can find a cheap one (in Sweden), Skillshot second, Traveller 3rd.. So far, I've only recieved 1 offer for a discatcher traveller, so any 2nd/3rd oppinions on those?

I have had a machlite and right now I have a skillshot and a ching chainmaster. I would say of the three the chainmaster is the by far the best basket. It is all metal but is does disassemble quickly into the basket portion. If you want something that folds up I would suggest the machlite with some added chains.

The newer Travelers are better than the old ones (5 legs instead of 4). They catch better than any other portable I've putt on, it's just that they're that much different from a regular basket that they might be weird. You might pick up the bad habit of trying to throw spike hyzer putts because the Traveler catches those so well, and doesn't have the chain assembly to block them. So long as you keep in mind a regular basket's shape, you should be fine. Also on the flip side, they have a smaller target area, so you might actually gain greater accuracy with them. I haven't picked one up, but I imagine they're the lightest and most easily movable of the bunch. Also, they're a lot quieter than other baskets due to the cloth, good for neighbors or practicing indoors.

some call me...tim? said:
The newer Travelers are better than the old ones (5 legs instead of 4). They catch better than any other portable I've putt on, it's just that they're that much different from a regular basket that they might be weird. You might pick up the bad habit of trying to throw spike hyzer putts because the Traveler catches those so well, and doesn't have the chain assembly to block them. So long as you keep in mind a regular basket's shape, you should be fine. Also on the flip side, they have a smaller target area, so you might actually gain greater accuracy with them. I haven't picked one up, but I imagine they're the lightest and most easily movable of the bunch. Also, they're a lot quieter than other baskets due to the cloth, good for neighbors or practicing indoors.

The weight ( 12lbs.) and the mesh dampening the sound are two of the best features in my mind. That and the catching area is smaller than a normal basket which for me is a bonus for practicing.

Banjar said:
Hi,

My wonderful, understanding (discgolfplaying) girlfriend has decided to give me (us) a portable discgolf basket for my birthday, so I'm looking for some recommendations. The available models that I can easily get a hold of are the Ching Skill Shot, the DGA Mach lite and the Discatcher Traveller.. I'm looking for advice and reviews. If this has been discussed in an earlier thread, I'd be happy with a link as well!

Thanks!

I would recommend the Mach Lite. Not only is it regulation size, but it is the most durable of the three. I have had mine for years with no sign of wear, and very consistent use.