• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portable Baskets

ken3592

Bogey Member
I am considering getting a portable basket for my back yard. I have been looking at the reviews on this site, however they are from years ago. Right now I am deciding between the DGA Mach Lite (~$150) and the Innova Skillshot (~$115). I don't know if any improvements have been made to either. Which one is overall the best value in price, catching ability, and durability? Has anyone recently tried out both? Would it be worth upgrading to the db-5 or DISCatcher Sport for ~$50 more?

I've never used either of the baskets you mentioned. I have an Instep DG100 in my yard that's been sitting out there in the Seattle rain for about three years. It still looks good. It doesn't have inner chains so you do get more spit-outs than you would with a basket with inner chains. You could add inner chains of course. The current model is the DG200 which I see is available right now on Ebay for $87 shipped to your door. I think that's a tough deal to beat unless you need more portability. In that case maybe one of the baskets you mentioned is better.

I'm very pleased with my Instep basket!

ken3592 said:
I am considering getting a portable basket for my back yard. I have been looking at the reviews on this site, however they are from years ago. Right now I am deciding between the DGA Mach Lite (~$150) and the Innova Skillshot (~$115). I don't know if any improvements have been made to either. Which one is overall the best value in price, catching ability, and durability? Has anyone recently tried out both? Would it be worth upgrading to the db-5 or DISCatcher Sport for ~$50 more?

Ive had the Mach Lite for about a year now in my basement. Its still holding up great. I added 4 inner chains and it catches great. If your thinking of not moving it around too much and a more realistic basket, Id go with the Mach Lite.

I have a mach lite and I like it. my only gripe is that the joints in the base have loosened up over time and the base is not as solid as it was when new. I fold it up when I am not using it. damn neighborhood kids....

I found a Mach Lite and an M-14 each for $140, free shipping. Does it just come down to portability in making my decision between these two? Or is there an obvious right choice here?

I will mainly only use it in my backyard, but I probably won't be leaving it outside (I would need to break it down/fold it up after each use)

ken3592 said:
I found a Mach Lite and an M-14 each for $140, free shipping. Does it just come down to portability in making my decision between these two? Or is there an obvious right choice here?

I will mainly only use it in my backyard, but I probably won't be leaving it outside (I would need to break it down/fold it up after each use)

If you're going to be breaking it down often, the Mach Lite breaks down the easiest.

LaForce said:
Get a ChainStar. You cant go wrong :wink:

Yeah that would be very nice, but I don't think it's on my budget :( And I probably wouldn't get enough use out of it to make it worth the money.

So the Mach Lite would last me atleast a couple of years?

Mach Lite- Closest to the dimensions and appearance of a "normal" basket.
Skillshot- Fewer blow throughs, but is a smaller target.

I have a Mach Lite and I like it a lot. I have friends with Skillshots, but I always get distracted by their smaller dimensions (some would argue that they can help accuracy, but I don't like it). General consensus among us that we prefer the Mach Lite, although both are very good. Either should last you quite a few years as long as you don't abuse it or leave it out it the weather.

Dogma said:

I have a Mach Lite and I like it a lot. I have friends with Skillshots, but I always get distracted by their smaller dimensions (some would argue that they can help accuracy, but I don't like it). General consensus among us that we prefer the Mach Lite, although both are very good. Either should last you quite a few years as long as you don't abuse it or leave it out it the weather.
mine has been in the weather almost 2 years and doesnt have a problem yet

Jesse B 707 said:
Mach Lite or Skillshot? I've wanted to leave mine out, I just can't bring myself to do it.

Jesse B 707 said:
Dogma said:

You live in an area with mild weather and no smog. I think if I did the same thing down here, the ozone and other chemichals from all the smog would cause the fabric to detiriorate.

inthedrift said:
I wish I had a ChainStar. They're kinda spendy though.

They are but you got to think of it as a lifetime investment. Practice what you play on :!:

I totally hear you on that. I definitely plan on getting a nice solid basket at some point, just don't have several hundo to spare in these troubled times we're in. Only one of the courses I play on has ChainStars. The others have Discatchers which I'm not as impressed with. I love the ChainStars. Shipping to Alaska is a bitch though.