• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Powering down...

helly

So, I've run into an issue lately, and with the proven ability of this forum to get me throwing longer, I thought maybe I could count on you guys to get me throwing shorter, as well.

With all of the collective information here, I've been just now starting to edge my longest discs (PDs) out to the 360-380ft range, and my putters out to just about 300 with good height. I know I need to do more work on getting my drivers longer, but this is about getting my putters shorter.

Some of you may know a course in the Chicagoland area, in Joliet called West Park. The second hole there is about 50-60 feet downhill, and only about 250 feet in distance. Past it by almost 100 feet is a fence and a densely wooded area that's clearly OB. Played a round there the other day and drove my KC Aviar, and I just gave it too much, putting it about 350 out and into the woods, taking the OB on a hole I feel I should easily be able to deuce. Needless to say, taking a 6 on it spoiled my round for me, and got me thinking about how difficult it is, in an area where most of the courses are pitch and putt and putters and Rocs are about 80% of my tee shots, to power down.

I've gotten to the point where as my distance pushes out to 400 feet, my putters are pushing 300 and my Rocs out to about 320 on lower lines, I don't often get to stretch my drivers out, and more often find myself worrying about overshooting some of the tiny holes you see around here. We have one course, for instance, with holes ranging from 150 feet out to 230 primarily, with only two of them over 300. I have trouble on holes like this, and I was wondering if any of you had some advice for me.

Sidearm, overhead throws, spike hyzers, grenades, no x step, slower steps and shorter reach back with less turning away from the target and maintaining eye contact with the target cut distance. Pick you poisons. Putters and Rocs fly shorter if you throw them lower.

i have not added my x step back into my game for about 3 months. i am focused on getting accuracy. i did notice that if you dont x step just 2 side steps you can power down pretty well, and if you stand still it helps even more. if you are still and trwoing your putters longer than 300, i dont know what to tell you other than play on longer courses, cause your x step drives with a destroyer would have to be 650ish.

JR said:
Sidearm, overhead throws, spike hyzers, grenades, no x step, slower steps and shorter reach back with less turning away from the target and maintaining eye contact with the target cut distance. Pick you poisons. Putters and Rocs fly shorter if you throw them lower.
This^

On short holes (or holes that play short) I'll often just do a standstill from the front of the tee pad. But all of the things JR listed can help. Some holes, I mentally think "approach shot" instead of drive even off the tee, that seems to help as well.

Once you get low enough you can switch grips, too. A fan grip with a weak lock point rather than a power grip can take quite a bit off a putter throw.

Get a Polecat. one of the courses I frequent I drive the cat on about 7 holes. It's more stable than people think it is. and it tops out at 250 (without being flipped completely the f over.)