• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy sues Gannon sues Prodigy

this mirrors the nba where players are now forcing trades with even more than one year left on their contract.

i understand it looks bad not to play out the contract but it also looks bad on the players part too just forcing your way out of a contract.

since he only had one year left he could theoretically just bet on himself and play it out and get that discmania contract in 2024 anyway since he's so young.

just let the court of public opinion run it's course (which isn't looking good for prodigy suing a kid and maybe not being totally transparent about sharing revenue information with his signature discs).

i said it before in another thread but it kind of mirrors how the growing pains of professional skateboarders and their sponsors dealt with the money and contract side of things in the 80's with a niche sport that was on the brink of going huge.

it took until the late 1990-2000's before skating turned into something huge but it needs both sides companies and talent to get there.

IMO, I think this is going to hurt prodigy more than Buhr. Prodigy looks like the villain, and it's likely going to be perceived that way, but they are just as much the victim. Maybe an arguable take, but, oh well. (I understand the breach points Gannon makes and understand them. Not gunna argue that).

When will the "Has prodigy peaked?" Thread start, cuz they might just run out of gas here soon.

truthfully no one knows if prodigy has flashing or not

all their discs just sit on the store shelves anyways

Dangit you. This one got me. I actually chuckled.

A good company can always be above one good athlete going away. We throw discs because we like the athlete so if the athlete show disapointment in the product/company most will side on his/her side.

Hopefully it gets sorted and both can come away decently happy.

Also signing kids and not be 110% at fullfilling the clauses is just shoddy and shows lack of investment in a professional business relationship, especially if his so key to their earnings. Missing a 500 payment is just laughable, throw in 500 extra for making prodigy semi relevant in the top.

truthfully no one knows if prodigy has flashing or not

all their discs just sit on the store shelves anyways

The blood stains on the inside of the rims of the discs in the local store after people feeling how they sit in their hand could be a tell on why they are still there ;)

I recall when prodigy was starting up, I heard half the phone conversation a certain world champ's dad had about joining prodigy. I could be wrong, but it sounded like they had to pay thousands to join team prodigy and received an ownership stake in the company. I see no mention of that here, so I purely speculate terms have changed.

I never threw prodigy except the one time because even their most under stable putters were meat hooks to me, and they offered nothing in base plastic that would beat in quickly. I've little doubt many prodigy team members found huge gaps in their bags, and it seemed to me the ones I paid attention to at the time all experienced at least an initial decline.

I don't really understand the Prodigy move here. They already have a reputation for poor quality and (saying nicely) having discrepancies between what they're supposed to pay their players and what they actually pay them. There was NOTHING circulating about this being a cause of Gannon leaving. Everyone seemed to just assume he'd gotten a massive new contract (similar to Simon) and that was just it. So Gannon decides to leave and Prodigy goes public with the ideas that their own best player thinks 1. Prodigy plastic is of poor quality. 2. They aren't paying him what they owe him. 3. They refuse to provide proof on his disc sales which suggests he feels they owe him a lot more. 4. They haven't kept other, perhaps non-contractual, promises. If Prodigy had a generally good reputation, maybe this means a lot less. Having your best player basically confirm that everything people dislike Prodigy for is actually true, and causing that information to get out yourselves seems...short-sighted at best?

Speculation time: This just SCREAMS that someone high up at Prodigy got very angry that Gannon left and decided they weren't going to put up with it. And that they decided they didn't care what happened to their company as a result. It does NOT seem like a well thought-out business decision.

Non Speculation, just an observation: If a player were some evil supervillain intent on taking Prodigy down to nothing, isn't this exactly how you'd do it? Provide them written complaints that validate the worst parts of the company's reputation, then announce you were done with the company in hopes they'd sue you and bring all of those allegations to light themselves?

Regardless of who's in the right, Prodigy probably doesn't look the greatest suing a 17yo. I am curious if this will be settled in mediation and gag orders will prevent any discussion…. OR if we'll get some kind of precedent for disc golfers breaking contracts.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2023/02/19/prodigy-sues-gannon-buhr-for-breach-of-contract/

Contract law is not about feelings. It is not about anything outside of a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.

A contract is an agreement between parties, creating mutual obligations that are enforceable by law. The basic elements required for the agreement to be a legally enforceable contract are: mutual assent, expressed by a valid offer and acceptance; adequate consideration; capacity; and legality. In some states, elements of consideration can be satisfied by a valid substitute.

If you are making more out of this than the above....well, I don't get it. Very few here should have any financial, emotional or intellectual investment in this whatsoever.

Contract law is not about feelings. It is not about anything outside of a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.

A contract is an agreement between parties, creating mutual obligations that are enforceable by law. The basic elements required for the agreement to be a legally enforceable contract are: mutual assent, expressed by a valid offer and acceptance; adequate consideration; capacity; and legality. In some states, elements of consideration can be satisfied by a valid substitute.

If you are making more out of this than the above....well, I don't get it. Very few here should have any financial, emotional or intellectual investment in this whatsoever.

My wife has a law background but I just fix electronics, so zero law from me. When I said 'doesn't look the greatest' I was talking about optics. How the public (regular guys like me with no law skills) will see the situation. I've only been in disc golf since 2020, but don't recall a manufacturer suing a player for breach… when many have left early (optics, not law). It's possible that 100% of those who left early did so under strict contract obedience. Regular guy sees that as not likely.

I'm curious about the situation, as I said, not emotional. Perhaps curiosity is an emotion. I have no investment in Prodigy besides one glow P model S, an A2, and a D2 none of which I bag, but I appreciate being kept in line. I would prefer that both players and sponsors would keep their contracts, but then there would be no need for lawyers.

Looks like the Reddit law crowd agrees that the letter of the contract was kept by Prodigy, since Buhr's notification, when they caught up on a few missed terms. So probably Prodigy will make a few bucks off of Buhr despite the optics.

Missed edit window. If it's not explicitly stated in the contract, then Buhr can put out a video saying he's leaving Prodigy. He's still wearing their hat and using their discs. Maybe he hasn't breached the four corners of that contract at all.

I'm not in any way invested in one side or the other, but can't help but find the situation interesting.

Thanks for posting the docs, BTL. There was some mention about how people were already speculating which company Gannon would end up signing with. If only they would have referenced dgcr: "in a thread viewed by hundreds of disc golfers, speculation ran wild."