• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting and Scorekeeping

runnaman

Eagle Member
This is really two questions but I'm too lazy to post two topics.

1) Do you count a throw as a putt if you use a putter as an approach shot? Maybe not even trying to get in the basket. If so, could I just use a driver short putts to reduce my putt count?

2) Do people record everyone of their rounds played? I like to keep track of my scores but feel like having only my scores up on the course is a bad thing.

Just looking for some input. Thanks.

1) Several threads already on "what is a putt". Basically I count a putt when using a putting motion with intent on trying to get the disc in the basket. Throwing a putter from 100' out, or from 30' in uber wind with intent to "lay up" do not count as putts.

2) I do. But I think I'm much the exception rather than anywhere close to normal. ;)

1) For me putting is a concept for how to move a disc from A to B, not the disc I'm using. If I use a putting form I count it as a putt.

2) I don't think tracking anyone but your own score is your responsibility. But if you feel like doing it, that's nice of you.

1. if I have any intent of put-ting the disc in the basket, then i consider that putt-ing. I never try to ace holes. it's too risky. Usually it's anything inside of 50'. Every now and then i'll have a chance to go for the pin when it's longer, but that's usually it. I aim for 26 or less putts per round, aka, 26 times where I am aiming at the basket per round, which is usually 26 shots within 50 feet.

sorry, i clicked the post button too soon.

2) i usually try to record every round, but sometimes i play so bad i don't feel like recording it. And lately, i've been very detailed in recording every round i've played.

1. I count everything I do with my putter as a putt because everytime I throw it I expect it to go in. Then again I expect just about every shot after my drive to go in. I will also count putts from time to time with any of my other discs if it is a putting motion.

2. I record every round in here. I also first record it on my own spreadsheet in excel that has some pretty cool averages that I like. The combination of the two gets me just about every piece of information that I want.

I also first record it on my own spreadsheet in excel that has some pretty cool averages that I like. The combination of the two gets me just about every piece of information that I want.
I also do that personal spreadsheet recording too. As much as I think DGCR is the bee's knees there's really no guarantee that it'll be around tomorrow and the thought of all that score and disc data getting lost in the ether is too much, so I gotta have my own copy.

Now if only Tim would support an export feature for scorebook and disc organizer I could get out of that double duty data recording. A well constructed .csv file would probably be sufficient for most people.

You listening Tim?

Sorry for the
threadjack.gif

[something else garublador will post but others will either ignore or argue about]

If you google "Six Sigma Golf" you'll find resources about how to improve your golf game using sig sigma methodologies. While they don't all directly relate to disc golf, it wouln't be hard to adapt them to it. Basically, what you do is track every shot for what you needed to perform and compare that with how you did perform. So if you came up short on a 240' hyzer, you'd mark it that way. After gathering enough data, you'll know, just just think, know what parts of your game you are best at, what parts you need work on, and what parts will gain you the most strokes.

You won't have to wonder if you're better off practicing those 20'-25' putts or your 100' approaches. The data will tell you where you can pick up the most strokes not only by telling you which one of those you need the most work on, but it will tell you how you fail so you know exactly what to work on and which situation actually comes up the most. It can also aid in shot selection by giving you data on which of your shots is most likely to give you the results you want.

[/something else garublador will post but others will either ignore or argue about]

I am keeping all my rounds but I use the quick system and do not count putts. If I did i would only count within the 10m radius.

Now if only Tim would support an export feature for scorebook and disc organizer I could get out of that double duty data recording. A well constructed .csv file would probably be sufficient for most people.

You listening Tim?

Sorry for the
threadjack.gif

It's been on my list of premium features for a while. I'll probably sit down and try to do it one of these days.

2. I record every round in here. I also first record it on my own spreadsheet in excel that has some pretty cool averages that I like. The combination of the two gets me just about every piece of information that I want.

What are the cool averages you do on your own? I may be able to add them here.

In ball golf there is a lot of emphasis on course management. The number of putts (low number better of course),geens/fairways hit in regulation, etc. I like this & think that some of it can cross over to disc golf. We don't typically have 'greens' but there is a certain distance that we would be putting from. Say 50' for me. Then I would start counting 'putts' from there.
2) I have the intent to always keep my own score but if I have a bad hole or two I don't want to keep score anymore.

When I enter my scores, I don't bother with the "putts"... My score is my score, and I really don't care how many putts there were...

When I enter my scores, I don't bother with the "putts"... My score is my score, and I really don't care how many putts there were...
Although you can analyze your putting game over time which is interesting. I know for a fact that I gain a ton of strokes due to my poor putting. I don't really need the scorebook to tell me that but if I started working on it, it would be interesting to see the difference over time.

I record my scores now. I used to only record a few of them, but I think it is neat to see how many holes I've played, average scores, and the other features. I don't keep track of putts, just hole by hole score.

Basically I count a putt when using a putting motion with intent on trying to get the disc in the basket. Throwing a putter from 100' out, or from 30' in uber wind with intent to "lay up" do not count as putts.
EricJ's description sums it up best, I agree completely!

As far as recording rounds, I used to not record any of them, but I've decided starting this year, that I will record all of my round on DGCR. It is great for tracking progress, trouble areas, etc. There is a place to count putts and penalties, why not take advantage of the available resources?

I do not keep an offline spreadsheet, but that is a great idea, and the export feature would be a great addition for that!

I've kept a personal spreadsheet of scores for five years now. My offline spreadsheet records only date, score, and birdies with separate sheets for each of the local courses.

Started recording rounds on DGCR just this year and I'm recording all rounds. I track putts and count anything from about 40' in as a putt. Basically, I feel I should be able to make all of these, so I'm tracking them to see how many strokes I'm leaving on the course. If the putt is seriously obstructed, I'm not counting those as putts. There's a grey area where I'm around 50-60 feet out that I don't count as a putt if I miss, but don't score as a zero putt if I hit it. I only count a zero putt if it's like 75' or more.

I count a putt as whe I am expecting to hit the putt. A jump putt from 80' I dont count because its pretty much an upshot not a putt.
I record all of my rounds for courses on here.