• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putting finger pressure

Andree88

Hi guys! When you are putting in to the basket how hard do you squeeze your fingers in to the putter. Do you hold it lose in your hand or hard, and do you squeeze tumb, middle, ring, pinky finger and let the index finger just be lose just under the wing or on the rim? I dont know how hard i should hold it so pls help me with this!
When i tired to hold it hard i miss the basket on the right side almost 50 percent of the time. When i try to be relax many putts slips out of my hand. :wall:

Pretty firm, like a handshake I suppose. Mostly thumb pushing down. Are you putting fingers under the rim or fanning them out?

Hi guys! When you are putting in to the basket how hard do you squeeze your fingers in to the putter. Do you hold it lose in your hand or hard, and do you squeeze tumb, middle, ring, pinky finger and let the index finger just be lose just under the wing or on the rim? I dont know how hard i should hold it so pls help me with this!
When i tired to hold it hard i miss the basket on the right side almost 50 percent of the time. When i try to be relax many putts slips out of my hand. :wall:

Sooo maybe try something in between?

Try stuff and find what's working for you. You could try doing 15-20' putt with a loose grip with just your hand (and a little hips). You can try Josh Anton style keep the disc high and just spin it hard, you can try Calvin Heimburg style, very smooth big up and down movement and a smooth wrist action at the end. You can tried a Simon putt, short arm style elbow closer to the body or Eagle elbow straighter both spin putt with not much big movements. MJ style tossing the disc flat or anhyzer like it's nothing. You can try to push the disc with your little/ring/middle fingers or do it with your thumb and index as the main control.

Nothing will replace practicing, if it doesn't work just change stuff.

All I notice is if I have too firm a grip with my fingers/hand I don't get the natural palm and wrist spring that gets me a clean pop. Everyone's putting style is a bit different though. I like to be loose/fluid enough that the disc weights my hand back slightly and it really pops cleanly.

Try stuff and find what's working for you. You could try doing 15-20' putt with a loose grip with just your hand (and a little hips). You can try Josh Anton style keep the disc high and just spin it hard, you can try Calvin Heimburg style, very smooth big up and down movement and a smooth wrist action at the end. You can tried a Simon putt, short arm style elbow closer to the body or Eagle elbow straighter both spin putt with not much big movements. MJ style tossing the disc flat or anhyzer like it's nothing. You can try to push the disc with your little/ring/middle fingers or do it with your thumb and index as the main control.

Nothing will replace practicing, if it doesn't work just change stuff.

All I notice is if I have too firm a grip with my fingers/hand I don't get the natural palm and wrist spring that gets me a clean pop. Everyone's putting style is a bit different though. I like to be loose/fluid enough that the disc weights my hand back slightly and it really pops cleanly.
Just like driving. ;)

Try different grips while you're experimenting with finger pressure. I changed my putting grip from a fan grip on the flight plate to a stacked fan grip on the rim and instantly got more power and control.

Like a lot of posters above, I'm of the philosophy that putting is whatever works best for you combined with a lot of practice.
I couldn't find a groove at all in putting. I watched a bunch of videos and people who could putt, and practiced with "regular" putters (aviars, roaches, challengers) but never found a style that felt good with any sort of consistency. For me, the big change happened when I tried out a rattler. It's an odd disc, very much like a mini ultimate disc (I'm not an ultimate player though). But it felt so good in hand to actually toss at a basket. I have a very bizarre grip on this disc, with an extreme fan grip (middle, ring, pinky fanned out on the plate) with index finger actually resting along the perimeter of the disc. Because it's a very balanced grip, I hold it very loose. And because the putt itself is very slow, the release is consistent. I'm not sure I ever encountered instructions that would tell you to hold it that way, but with this particular style, I am at least confident about short putts. And from there, I just work outwards a bit. (and yes, I know my floaty rattler putt is absolute garbage in the wind :eek: )

Thx every one! I like my weird grip so i will not change that but i will test experimenting the rest. With my odd grip i got great power on them, i dont need to jump on 13-14m to reach the basket, but my aim is bad. Why do you think the putts slips out of my hand even if i have firm grip?
Sidewinder22 you hold it lose from the beginning and in the last second before you release you squeeze all your fingers hard?
Thx again guys!

My slip outs are either an early release/concentration issue, or holding on to the disc too long. (Need to release while moving targetward, not at the end of your reach.)

My slip outs are either an early release/concentration issue, or holding on to the disc too long. (Need to release while moving targetward, not at the end of your reach.)

Oh, thank you man that i didnt know! Now i know what i need to focus on. I always wait to full reach before i release.

Thx every one! I like my weird grip so i will not change that but i will test experimenting the rest. With my odd grip i got great power on them, i dont need to jump on 13-14m to reach the basket, but my aim is bad. Why do you think the putts slips out of my hand even if i have firm grip?

If my legs/weight shift doesn't get to my arm at the right time then the power gets to the disc at the wrong time too so it feels bad. Usually the more I think about my technique when putting the worse I mess up though...it's useful to sort out the technique but often it means I concentrate worse on hitting the putts. So be aware of what is helping or hurting you, if you are practicing vs. about to start a round for example.

But usually if I have my weight shift not getting to my arm/the disc when it should pop out, then I get wobbles and I bet it's from having issues with grip getting torqued...if your grip is strange like you say then maybe it affects you even more, so the disc actually slips noticeably.

Usually for me, left/right misses can be fixed by adjusting the rear leg to the left or right. Moving it a few inches either way will angle your whole body differently relative to the basket.

Oh, thank you man that i didnt know! Now i know what i need to focus on. I always wait to full reach before i release.

If you can find any slow motion vids of pros putting, the disc is released well before the end of the putting stroke. Be sure to continue and follow through all the way, but let that disc go well before max extension.

Putting pressure with fingers only just wasnt working for me. So, I putt with loose fan grip and index on outside of the rim, while only firm pressure comes from base of thumb.

Thx again guys for all your help! I will practise many putts after am done here on the hospital. So thursday i will go home a few days before i must go back to this boring place again. like i said, i will experimenting on finger pressure and also firm pressure with my base of thumb. I will practise to release the putt before full reach but i will not change my grip because i like it so much.