• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Weight Shift

VajraChild

Hello, all. I've been playing for quite awhile. Much too long, in fact, to be as mediocre as I am. My main weakness is putting, which is where I'm looking for advice. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of articles but there's something I'm still not quite clear on.

I'm pretty much a push putter. My form looks a bit like Paul McBeth's. Mostly because I've tried to emulate it. Historically, I've always leaned out over my front foot with most of my weight there while lining up and getting set. Then I bring the disc in to my abdomen while rocking back onto my rear foot, then I pop forward, springing off my rear foot, transferring the weight to my front foot, and snapping my arm up to release the disc while raising my rear foot to counterbalance.

So here's my question: Should I start out leaned forward like that, then rock backward then forward? Or should I start out with most of my weight on my back foot, crouched and coiled, so I can just spring forward? Seems like that would eliminate a step and make everything simpler.

It seems like the whole pendulum movement might be throwing me off by having to coordinate that with lowering and raising my arm.

personally i don't feel there is a right or wrong way. whichever way you find to be the most easily repeatable and gives you the most confidence is the way you should do it.

It's all what feels comfortable and consistent to you.

I've found recently that it helps me to set up the putt in full extension/release position, and work backwards into my stance from there. It's not part of a back-swing or rhythm of the putt, just a way to get everything lined up.

If you find that starting forward then going back and forward again is overly complicated, then there's no point to it.

I've come to realize that when it comes to putting, find what works for you, and drill it home! I had a decent putting form developing, but changed a few things with it because "this is how the pros do it". Well, my putting was very inconsistent, sloppy. So, I went back to how I was putting before, and I putted better the other night than I ever have before.
For me, I line up my putt with my weight forward, shift back, then shift forward again at the hit. Best of luck!

Whilst I'm the first to advocate doing what works for you in putting, you've come looking for some advice as it's obviously not working for you! So here goes.

Forwards back forwards weight shift has a lot more going on than a down/up weight shift.

When there's lots going on, there's lots more that can go wrong and throw the putt off. On a good day you nail everything, once it starts going wrong you can spiral out of control and suddenly 10' is in the wobble zone.

You say you've tried to emulate McBeast. It doesn't sound from your description that you have. Check these out https://youtu.be/F5IV-elTXwg?t=39s

He is much more down and up than back and forth. Schusterick is an example of back forth putting. Watch how close together Pauls feet are - they get slightly wider apart for longer putts and he goes a bit more back forth with longer as well but within 30' he is pretty much all down/up with feet no more than a foot apart. It's an incredibly balanced base and a simple motion.

With down/up you can come down really slowly and the back leg upwards push/kick makes a really easy timing mechanism, this drives you up and swings the arm up the target line which you finish with a finger sprung flourish. It's a very simple motion. Paul swings his back shoulder away during this motion although you can do similar with shoulders square to the target ( this does have a tendency to hyzer putts more though unless you do something with your grip).

He coils down into the back leg and pushes up from it, kicking out and away to time with the discs release and to counter balance his arm. There is a reason he does the twisty hitch with his back foot, it's to make sure he's solidly in contact with the ground and won't slip as he pushes up, that back leg upwards push and then kick is the driver of the motion.

You mention leaning out over your front foot. This might have been lost in the description but it sounds like one of the first things I try to correct in players. That's throwing your body out of a balanced position, even on a back forward weight shift your balance should stay between the knees, if you get over the top of your front knee you lose all control. You will often see new players leaning towards the basket for a 15 foot putt and missing, that's because of the lean.

Stay balanced stay athletic.

Also know where your release point is going to be.

line up your arm to the release point before lowering it down into your putt. Then all you've got to do is move your arm up and hit the release point.

So many players in both putting and driving have no clue of their intended hit point before throwing. Knowing it gives you far more focus.

Here's my best advice on putting.
Putt (at least) a hundred times a day for six months (at least).
After practicing a few thousand times, it'll start coming to you, and you'll be surprised how good you are.

You've watched the videos, you know what you're supposed to do, go out and find out what works for you.

No substitute for practice, practice and more practice.

It seems as if putting techniques is all about what works for you given your body's demensions and what you can do. Just take 2 putters with you everytime you play and always use both when you can for practice and do some drills here and there. Figure out the best, most consistent style that works for you. Me and my friends will even **** around and start chucking all our mids in there too just for a little contest.

I been doing this for the last 2 seasons and it's pretty sick how quickly your putting game will improve. I'm making shots I don't even expect to make.

The Scott Stokely putting clinic on Youtube was probably my real break through video in regards to putting. He makes some great points and goes over things really well to get a basic understanding of the mechanics. You'll add your own flare and do your own things, but it's a good place to start and build from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g4372yNba4

You mention leaning out over your front foot. This might have been lost in the description but it sounds like one of the first things I try to correct in players. That's throwing your body out of a balanced position, even on a back forward weight shift your balance should stay between the knees, if you get over the top of your front knee you lose all control. You will often see new players leaning towards the basket for a 15 foot putt and missing, that's because of the lean.

This is what I would first make sure of too. Get "into" that front foot to shift to the leg, not on top of it. There's a big difference, one way you transfer weight through the body, the other way you transfer it over/past your leg and end up trying to balance after the throw.

This is a huge key. Same with free throws in basketball. You wouldn't shoot free throws with stiff legs, or balancing mainly on one leg, right? Same with a disc golf putt.

Use the legs to push up and the arm will take that energy and eject the disc forward. My best putting days my arm doesn't even feel like it's raising, I push with my legs and feel the finger spring, the rest takes care of itself.

Wow. Thanks, everyone. Great advice. I'm heading out to play later today. Hopefully I'll be able to make some positive changes.