• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Question

SethL

If you would...
List what you think is the best putting putter, approach putter, and driving putter. Do Not necessarily list what you use, but what you think is the best. (Although it should be the same I guess...)

Thanks

In my humble experience of watching some magic on the course of players on my cards:
Putt: Millennium Omega
Approach; Innova XD. (Discraft Ultrastar very close, tough choice)
Driving penetrating shots: Wizard
Driving big loft: Innova Aviar

Me.... Vibram Sole (or champ Aviar) and DGA Breaker combo solid for awhile. I am not a big putter driver myself past 200 ft or so unless calm or tailwind. Comfortable powering down and finessing a Roc or Meteor. Somewhat wind phobic on drives and approaches into the wind or gusty.

Putt: Wizard / Jokeri and soft ones
Approach: Wizard / Jokeri
Driving: Wizard / Jokeri

The Wizard for all three. Versatile disc, seasons well. I'd put the KC Aviar and Discraft Challenger in the same boat but the Wizard is the best of the three

Not that it matters because everyone is different when it comes to putters but:
Putting:Swan 1 Reborn
Approach: Harp/Sinus/Shield
Driving: Shield

Putting : Dagger or Caltrop for more fade/hyzer
approach: Caltrop or Shield (bh or FH)
Driving, Harp or Jokeri

I'll give beaded/non-beaded opinions

Putting: wizard, classic aviar

Approach: wizard, nova

Driving: wizard, shield (might have a small bead but basically feels beadless)

Putting and US approach: aviar, in either mcpro, classic, or san marino star.

Straight approaches and most drives: Swirly S-Line P2.

OS and utility putts/approaches/drives: champ san marino rhyno, usually XG or gummy. Have ontarios, just don't need them when a new production disc is flying fine for me.

The best putting putter is the one that feels best in your hand and gives you the most confidence when you're staring at the chains. For me, that's the Wizard.

As for the rest,
Approach putter: I tried to find a better approach putter for flicks than Zones and couldn't. For BH, I like the Nova because it's super neutral, and XT plastic is perfect for hit and stick duties which is what I feel is important in an approach disc
Driving putter: The Classic Roc has the perfect amount of stability to travel far down the fairway with a predictable enough fade to easily range your shots.

If you would...
List what you think is the best putting putter, approach putter, and driving putter. Do Not necessarily list what you use, but what you think is the best. (Although it should be the same I guess...)
Thanks

If one is not using what one thinks is best, I'd have to wonder why... but I digress.

Putting - Classic Warden. I like the feel in my hand and the firmness of Classic plastic.

Approach - D.O.T.S. (depends on the situation). In wind or when I need a hyzer, the Harp. For straight approaches, especially in open terrain, the Warden in premium plastic. Prototype Colts were also great approach discs.

Driving - Again the Warden in premium plastic, though special mention goes to the Lucid Judge and Opto Pure as being great driving putters.

The best putting putter is the one that feels best in your hand and gives you the most confidence when you're staring at the chains. For me, that's the Wizard

This. There's no magic for putters. The most important thing is how it feels, and how you like to throw it. Some people like beads, others beadless. Some like US, some like OS.

If I have to name a disc, it's the Judge.
For putts, approaches and drives. Classic hard for putting, lucid for approaches and drives.

Putting: Judge
Driving: Envy
Approach: Envy, Caltrop or Harp depending on wind, length, and conditions around the basket

Completely agree about using putting putters that are comfortable.... I am currently finding a Soft Caltrop to my liking.

Approaches vary depending on the distance. Just outside my putting comfort zone, I will throw the Caltop, like playing catch with the basket.

Longer approaches are usually performed with a VIP Harp. It's really consistent for me and predictable in wind.

Tee shots are usually the Harp or sometimes a Pure (Grip Line or Opto) if I want to avoid fade.

I sometimes use a Sinus or Pure for putting duties, it depends on what is working..... I have tried to love the Nova, but so far it's not made the bag for serious rounds.

Last edited:
Putting Putter: I honestly thinking putting is mostly confidence and keeping consistent with your form. I would likely do just as well with any neutral putter on the market.

Approach and driving: Get a Proxy and Envy for both. I haven't tried everything but I don't need to after having this combo.
Proxy = zero fade but high speed stability makes it easy to throw both FH and BH
Envy has a little more low speed stability but not super OS. Goes just as far as a midrange but can power down well if you keep enough spin on it during low speed portion of flight

Putting putter: Whatever feels best in your hand and goes in the basket for you most of the time. Seriously, there is no right answer to this question. Whatever putter you feel most confident with will be best.

Approach/driving: Depends on your stability needs. Personally I love Pigs for OS and Colts for straight to understable. Both are also shallow enough to forehand if I need to (although my forehand game is pretty weak) and both come in nice, grippy baseline blends (Pro and XT). Once again, this is pretty personal and I don't think there is one "best" because it depends on what you prefer in terms of depth, plastic choices, grip, stability, etc. Driving/approach discs tend to get used for some of the touchiest shots on the course so you've just got to try a bunch until one "clicks" for you.

Latest posts