• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Release direction?

dizzyj

Hi,

I've recently picked up dg after a 10 year hiatus. Been reading the world of information on here that I did not have 10 years ago. I've been trying to adjust my drives to get more snap. I have difficulty turning discs over to get a nice s flight. My disc of preference is a valk and I can turn over a light (150) one but they still only go 280

Been reading and practicing the beato drill and the closed shoulder drill, but I'm confused about the orientation of the release.

What I had been doing: imagine drawing a line from your toes to the basket. Direction of the basket is 12:00. I would align my body at 12:00/6:00. Xstep and release at 12:00 with my shoulders at 12:00/6:00.

Looking at the closed shoulder drill, your initially lined up at 9-10 o'clock. What I'm confused at is this:

1) Do I run up and xstep following a 9:00? Or do you run up facing 12, then get your body onto 9 during the xstep?
2) do I keep my shoulders closed at the hit and release near the end of my range of motion of my arm so that my arm releases past the plane of my shoulders (kinda like shoulder flys at the gym) so my shoulders are oriented at 9:00 but I release at 12:00? Or should I open my shoulders to 12:00 and release at 12:00. Or open even more so my shoulders are say at 2:00 but release at 12?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

First off.. don't run at all in you x-step. Going slowly is the best way to build muscle memory and work on your form. I'd practice a one step until you can throw a Valk over 300 ft consistently on a low drive and not just a flex. Keep the disc in line with your forearm.

Most start facing the target and turn on the step before the step behind. You can Xstep in 3 steps. Face the target and first step is the 90degree one where you also line up your shoulder. If its more comfy you can take a small left step forward first which makes it a 4step..

I'm not sure how exactly to answer your second question except for if you take your shoulder off target you are going to spray far right probably. I don't think anyone throwing hard can release straight in front at 12. Just can't hold on to the disc that long. And if you did it would probably shoot off to the right behind you. The release I would say is probably between 10 and 11 for most. Google (gifs) and Youtube slow motion drives for your interpretation if no one else chimes in.

Relating to "snap" the ideal ejection of the disc on your hand is 4 o'clock.. you won't be able to tell this unless you slow mo video yourself, but you'll have a good idea if you are bc it will fly effortlessly and far. It doesn't have to make an audible snap. You're just trying to get more spin on the disc here.

Hope that helps. I'm no expert but if I said anything too far off base I'm sure someone will set the record straight

Last edited:
1. Most start shoulders inline to target 12 and turn back into the plant to 9 - some even further, unless they are doing a 360 and go around the clock the opposite direction.

2. Shoulders closed into the power zone/elbow forward, and open through impact. You will see variances as to how much the shoulders open and how much the elbow goes forward, likely due to speed and different lever lengths, skinny people tend to open more while wider people tend to open less, and lower arm speed will tend to get the elbow more forward, while faster arm speed tend to have less elbow lead. When watching video, you have to be careful to what kind of throw they are throwing, so sometimes looks are deceiving.

The diagram in here should help as a baseline:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/...&t=13291&sid=dc83d090014b645cbcc42356fa1b4fc6

thanks,

both pretty much confirm what I've been thinking. Even writing it down seems to solidify what *should* be done.

I think my biggest issue is not engaging the legs/hips and im strong arming. if I dont setup the xstep to 9-10:00 and keep aligned to 12:00, im limiting the amount of twist I can even do with the hips.

im going to take some video and post over in the form analysis. appreciate the help.

Latest posts