• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Release/Rip Point?

XvileX

Par Member
Hey guys, I didn't want to clog up the hammer pound thread with this scenario, but I did want to ask it.

I'm curious about where your index finger should be when the disc is being released (notice my thumb is pointing at my target... :D) Given the picture I'm providing and from slow motion videos I've been watching (including Avery, Bradley Walker, and a few others) it looks like the disc is leaving peoples hands when their hands are where mine is in this image. When I throw, it feels more like my index finger actually leaves the disc closer to 4 or 5 o'clock. Is this correct, or should the disc truly be ejecting closer to 3 and I'm just holding onto it too long?

I'm thinking that part of my distance loss may be due to this late release, because instead of properly pivoting off my index finger I'm actually pulling back on the disc and losing momentum. I've tried correcting this in the field, but I think I'm having an acceleration issue as well that is adding to the late release.

releasepoint.jpg