• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Restoring dome

jerrod

Birdie Member
Search is broken yadda yadda......

Just got a pink Avenger SS that I really don't want to return. Dome is a bit concave. Any tricks to restore the dome or is it a wait and see type thing?

in short
heat and weight

using another disc to "suspend" the disc your working on is easiest way, put a weight on flight plate, it should sag the dome (disc is upside down right??)

before you try forcible methods (boiling and lasers), here's a pro tip:

lay it out in the sun, on a flat surface, right-side up, on a warm day if possible.
let it sit out all day, and let it cool overnight. it warms up the plastic and allows it to cool to its original shape... i assume this is the path of least resistance for the the polymers or whatever.

anyway, that's what we did at the MILL warehouse for discs that came in warped. there were many MANY warped discs in our shipments due to innova's lazy box-taping. these were 100% unsalable when we got them, but this method was failsafe.. almost perfect track record of producing discs indistinguishable from the undamaged ones.

I've heated mine up in a pan of hot water and used a large rubber beachball (~24" dia) to press it up against. You have to use thick cloth gloves so you don't burn yourself though.

Thanks for the tips guys. It's not to bad so I think Zam, er Ted, er Lepoards method will do, I hope.

i had to re dome my memorial nukes when i got them in and i "suspended" them in a deep putter and poured boiling water in the disc and let it sit and cool for a hour or 2 and came back with the dome more pronounced

There is something called plastic memory. If warped, plastic will return to its original shape with heat. But too much heat will melt it, causing a new shape which is rarely a good thing for flying purposes. So, microwaves are risky since they can create too much heat.

Hot water is perfect. Very hot water out of a tap or even boiling water out of a tea kettle works fine. Pour hot water over disc. Bend back into shape with fingers, Viola! Done in seconds.

There are limits to how much memory is recoverable. Your beat-to-snot D plastic putter, gone concave due to years of use will only recover so much, so many times. But minor sitting-in-the-box-funny and warping kind of problems are easily fixed.

Mark mentioned boiling water.
I think really hot water is good (170-190°) but boiling water can be too much for soft dics.
I put my Soft Magnet (it was my main putter, one of the stiffest softs) into some boiling water and it clovered like mad... like super-super ugly clovered!

I can't tell if the boiling water accentuated the internal stresses on the flightplate by relieving other stresses. I don't know exactly what happened but I would recommend using "not quite boiling" water. It doesn't take much heat at all to revive the disc's memory. Like Leopard said, the sun alone will fix your disc and you know the disc isn't getting above 150°, even in TX.

marmoset said:
Mark mentioned boiling water.
I think really hot water is good (170-190°) but boiling water can be too much for soft dics.
I put my Soft Magnet (it was my main putter, one of the stiffest softs) into some boiling water and it clovered like mad... like super-super ugly clovered!

I can't tell if the boiling water accentuated the internal stresses on the flightplate by relieving other stresses. I don't know exactly what happened but I would recommend using "not quite boiling" water. It doesn't take much heat at all to revive the disc's memory. Like Leopard said, the sun alone will fix your disc and you know the disc isn't getting above 150°, even in TX.

Nice job, marmoset,

I should have mentioned that D plastic is much more susceptible to heat than candy plastic. At the same temperature a hotstamp on D will burn deeply in where it will only kiss the top of candy plastic. If you submerge D plastic in boiling water you may well warp the heck out of it. When I have simply poured water out of the steaming kettle it has not caused warping, it has de-warped (un-warped? anti-warped? restored?) the discs. I'm not sure what clovering is.

I heat my discs on my car's dashboard in winter conditions to reactivate the stick-um. The candy discs I just wedge up there without regard but the D putters need to be gently and softly arranged to protect them from warping. So heat plus pressure on D plastic will warp them.

I guess I should have added at the top that it's ESP. Since your reading the thread Mark, do you know how much dome an Avenger SS should have ideally? It's more or less gone back to flat on it's own. I think the initial dome inversion was from an overnight ship so it seems to be coming back on it's own. I don't want to add dome if flat is more or less the intended design.

Jerrod said:
I guess I should have added at the top that it's ESP. Since your reading the thread Mark, do you know how much dome an Avenger SS should have ideally? It's more or less gone back to flat on it's own. I think the initial dome inversion was from an overnight ship so it seems to be coming back on it's own. I don't want to add dome if flat is more or less the intended design.

Sorry, no idea. Avengers of any version don't work in my hands. I have too much flutter on my forehand drives and the Avengers don't fight out of the flutter, they just flip and never come back. I don't pay much attention to discs I don't throw. Next time I stop in the factory I will try to remember and take a look. The guy who knows is Mike Wagner, who runs production.

Whatever shape your Avenger SS started with will be restored with hot water (or eventually in any warm enough conditions) but it won't cause it to dome more than it did originally unless you use undue heat it and force it up. So if you put it in a microwave and placed a round item underneath it (like a baseball or something) and nuked it long enough you could create an unnatural dome. Pouring hot water on top of it won't do that.

well I've been buying a lot of TP Cyclones lately and some of them have a bit of "clover" on top. Will this tea kettle/sun bathing trick work on older discs like this? Or will it just be enough to piss a man off?

keltik said:
well I've been buying a lot of TP Cyclones lately and some of them have a bit of "clover" on top. Will this tea kettle/sun bathing trick work on older discs like this? Or will it just be enough to piss a man off?

I bought a misprint TP cyclone that had a badly warped dome. I put it upside down in a bowl that supported the disc at the point where the flight plate meets the rim. I put boiling water in it and let it sit for 10-20 minutes. No harm was done to the disc after repeating several times and it came out with a perfectly even dome all around.

And lay off buying up all the TP Cyclones...

That's my job. :wink:

Mark Ellis said:
Whatever shape your Avenger SS started with will be restored with hot water (or eventually in any warm enough conditions) but it won't cause it to dome more than it did originally unless you use undue heat it and force it up.

How does X plastic handle the heat? I've got some X Crushes that came new with some warps I'd like to salvage.

My 2 cents... I had a Z Flick that had a collapsed top. I fixed the disc by laying it up-side-down on a pot of boiling hot water with the pot lid resting on top of the rim of the disc. (the pot was slightly smaller than the diameter of the disc). When the water in the pot cooled it caused a vacuum that pulled/stretched the top down, thus recreating the dome it originally came with and then some. I had to repeat the process to get the dome to "stay" as it tried to settle down after a few weeks. It made a huge difference in how the disc flew though. :)

JohnLee said:
My 2 cents... I had a Z Flick that had a collapsed top. I fixed the disc by laying it up-side-down on a pot of boiling hot water with the pot lid resting on top of the rim of the disc. (the pot was slightly smaller than the diameter of the disc). When the water in the pot cooled it caused a vacuum that pulled/stretched the top down, thus recreating the dome it originally came with and then some. I had to repeat the process to get the dome to "stay" as it tried to settle down after a few weeks. It made a huge difference in how the disc flew though. :)
:cry: This broke my heart. concave top flicks are the best ones.

Waddly Hobbins said:
keltik said:

I bought a misprint TP cyclone that had a badly warped dome. I put it upside down in a bowl that supported the disc at the point where the flight plate meets the rim. I put boiling water in it and let it sit for 10-20 minutes. No harm was done to the disc after repeating several times and it came out with a perfectly even dome all around.

And lay off buying up all the TP Cyclones...That's my job. :wink:

in response to part one of your reply: sounds like a good idea will have to try it.

in response to part two of your reply: NEV4R :twisted: