• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Risk changes the game

Wow. I would love to play that course. I would definitely need to carry some plastic without sentimental value though.

My favorite Iowa course, 2nd (out of all) only to Blue Ribbon Pines in MN. I've lost my fair share in the drink, definitely lots of risk-reward though. OB everywhere. Baskets on hills etc.

We make a game out of the cross country runners at my home course, since they run along about 5 different fairways, we bet money on who can hit them. Also, only natural danger is a few throws over a lake and a creek.

We make a game out of the cross country runners at my home course, since they run along about 5 different fairways, we bet money on who can hit them. Also, only natural danger is a few throws over a lake and a creek.

Not cool :thmbdown: I'm an xc runner and we get enough for the short shorts.

Not cool :thmbdown: I'm an xc runner and we get enough for the short shorts.

my problem isnt really with the runners... just the as-oles that go about planning there route.... my home course is a 100,000+ acre park and they send there runners right down our fairways... 3 years ago the area in question wasnt used by anyone... now oh look someone cleared that fire lane and put rubber pads there... lets run over them.... oh and dont worry about those round peices of plastic that fly through the air randomly... they wont hurt... dmn its sure nice of these guys to come cheer us on, on our run through the woods... look that guys holding one of those fisbee looking things.. i wonder why he needs somany of them... and look at that od contraption there... looks like a nice place to put a watercooler on

it would be alot easier to coexist w/them if they didnt put therre route where we have to be... you know... there lines they paint are temporary... can be moved anywhere that fits there distance requirements.... golfers have to stay on the course... it doesnt move.... they dont run through ball golf courses due to obveous safty hazards... i guess they dont realize a 175 gram plastic blade at 60+ mph will cuase serious damage to the wrong part of the human body.... and they dont run around with helmits on either...is it really that hard to say o look this could be a problem... look theres no1 at this end of the park

your cool! :gross:

My favorite course is Kensington in MI. Good mix of open shots but most holes are in the woods. Personally if you are just picking up the game I think playing a difficult course for awhile is a good way to start. It gives you the challenge from the beginning.

My favorite course is Kensington in MI. Good mix of open shots but most holes are in the woods. Personally if you are just picking up the game I think playing a difficult course for awhile is a good way to start. It gives you the challenge from the beginning.

funny- i've played kensington (thought it was very good) and since i'm from the mid-atlantic there is almost nothing there i'd describe as "in the woods". just a regional thing...;)

My favorite Iowa course, 2nd (out of all) only to Blue Ribbon Pines in MN. I've lost my fair share in the drink, definitely lots of risk-reward though. OB everywhere. Baskets on hills etc.

I'm already thinking of when I can get out to Iowa!? First time I've ever said that!:doh: That course looks like a LOT of fun!!:thmbup:

I'm already thinking of when I can get out to Iowa!? First time I've ever said that!:doh: That course looks like a LOT of fun!!:thmbup:

Let me know when you do, I'll give you a tour. The other nice course in town is a long bomber course. In long pin placement the majority of holes are over 450 or 500.

Here's a little risk story - This is on #9 at Tom Brown Park, plays +/- 250 off the tee. I get to the box, this is what I see.

IMG_0150.jpg

Yep, a car and a schoolbus. Less than 10' from the pin. I intend to skip the hole, but I know some folks are playing behind me that won't, so I casually mention to the driver that her bus *will* be hit if she parks where she is. She says "Hon, do you think that lil' ol' frisbee is gonna hurt this bus?" Uh, yeah, if I throw my driver from the tee and hit a window it will probably carry through to the next one and break it too. "Somehow I doubt it."

I let the jerk side of me get the better, and I went back to the tee, just RIPPED my wraith, its heading right for the bus. I hit the tire and it kicks back to within a foot and a half of the pin. I walked back to the bus and said "On second thought, just leave it there."

Yeah, I know I'm a jerk :) But you talk about risk, there you go!

Let me know when you do, I'll give you a tour. The other nice course in town is a long bomber course. In long pin placement the majority of holes are over 450 or 500.

I'll keep you informed!!:thmbup: I'll start traveling distances when we get back in the 40's on a regular basis......

funny- i've played kensington (thought it was very good) and since i'm from the mid-atlantic there is almost nothing there i'd describe as "in the woods". just a regional thing...;)

I completely agree. When I reviewed Kennsington I am pretty sure that I called it a open bomber course.

Are you guys talkin about old kenzo (tunnel) or new kenzo (blk lotus)?

While I don't consider either heavily wooded, I wouldn't think open bomber- granted 19-27 does stretch it out a bit.

Riverside in Grand Rapids is the site of some disc eating water holes. Thousands of discs are lost there each year, many are found by the people who aren't afraid of the mushy black swamp mud but many are lost forever. I am glad they make the beast for these holes, (rhbh is how you lose them into the water).