• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roottori's Bag

Roottori

Bogey Member
My bag has changed quite a bit, so I decided to start a new thread. I've changed my putter, dropped few molds and made my bag more simple for the sake of minimalism and consistency. A few discs need a bit more seasoning, but otherwise this setup feels good and I feel I have all shots covered.

KC Aviar 175 - Main Putter
KC Aviar 175 - Backup Putter
KC Aviar 173 - New, upshots, short drives
DX Aviar 172 - Beat, turnover upshots, longer jump putts

DX Roc 176 - Beat, turnovers
DX Roc 180 - Seasoned, quite straight, needs little bit more beating
KC Roc 180 - Seasoned, fades little bit more than DX Roc
KC Roc 180 - New, for wind and when I need more fade

DX Teebird 168 - Beat, turnovers, hyzerflips
DX Teebird 169 - New, quite straight, needs little bit more seasoning
Champion Teebird 173 - Seasoned, fades more than DX Teebird
Champion Teebird 175 - New, for wind and when I need more fade
Solf 1.3 169 - Seasoned, distance driver, needs little bit more seasoning
Solf 1.2 170 - New, more overstable than 1.3 Solf
Z Predator 173 - Seasoned, for tough headwinds, tomahawks, trick shots
Z Predator 175 - New, more overstable than the other one

So that's it. The only thing I'm not so sure about is my Teebird. I've learned how it flies, and I'm not really sure if I want to change it, but there are a few things why I'd like to change it to another mold. First, it's straight. Yeah, that's great shot to have in my shot selection, but I'd like to have more versatile disc as my fairway driver. Teebird doesn't do s-curves and flex shots really well, so a little bit more versatile mold would be great.
Second, Teebird is so damn long, it's almost as long as my Solfs, so I feel it overlaps with them. So not so long disc, maybe little bit slower than Teebird, would maybe be better for this slot. Slower disc would also be little bit better for control driver slot, because it wouldn't need so much juice behind it to make it fly correctly.

I can almost hear you screaming for Eagle X... :mrgreen: But it really isn't slower than Teebird, so I don't know... Are there any Eagle kind-of but slower discs out there?

Discraft Cyclone is like an shorter/slower eagle. It might be little straighter than the eagle but still great for different lines.

That or the Gazelle. I've had zero luck with the Cyclone the TPs flip hard and the ESP s a brick and short. Some ESPs fly as advertised according to others but i don't know what that's supposed to be because i've always had just weird ones. I'm through paying for the most inconsistent mold i've encountered. Good luck. Gaz flies great even after taking hits. Others have said that the Gaz and the Cyc fly the same. Note the Cycs i have.

Thanks, both of you (btw this feels really weird to discuss with two other finns in english... :D)

I almost read the whole ESP Cyclone thread, and the Cyclone seems to be one of the most inconsistent molds Discraft makes. And that's not what I'm looking for. Inconsistency was the main reason why I changed from Voodoos to KC Aviars, it was just too difficult to find Voodoos in plastic that feels good in my hands. So I don't want to add another mold like that to my bag.

Gazelle might be something worth of trying. I guess it would take abuse quite well even in Dx-plastic, because it is quite narrow rimmed and not that fast? Of course there are factory store Star and Pro Gazelles available, but I don't feel like spending 20€ for one disc...

The Gaz is slow and structurally robust. People here commented that the harder plastics were flippy so i didn't get them.

DX Gaz is the one you want. Other possibility is a Leopard, but not in DX. JR surely knows which Leopard is more stable, Star or Champ. It has to be a "very stable" Leo.

No Leo is that hard fading that it would flex out well it is straight with hyzer flip and right turning from flat but not an s-curve disc. Star fades most but Leos vary some too the Champ has been the most consistent for me. The variances aren't that radical in the Leo but may ruin the role you want it for.

Eagle X or the faster P PD (or powered down SOLF) would work for more versatility. Some Star Eagle Xs are superbly overstable and not straight at all. DX Gazelle has been consistent from what i know.

I'm still leaning a bit more towards DX Eagle X than DX Gazelle... It seems that Eagle X would be little bit more wind resistant and therefore little bit more versatile than Gazelle. EX also seems to be like mini OLF, which wouldn't be bad considering I have those in my bag. But I'll probably end up ordering one of each, Gazelle and EX, and see which one I prefer.

Not a bad idea at all. I've seen Eagles turn and being meathooks depending on wear and how they begin. Gaz doesn't flip in moderate headwinds.

So I decided to go with Eagle X's and I have replaced my Teebirds with them. I currently have four DX, one nicely beat up that I traded from a local player, it's awesome for turnovers and hyzerflips, and three new DX's so I'll get the rotation going. Those three new DX EX's need some seasoning of course so I can have different stabilities available, but that will happen naturally when the time goes on. So this is how the bag looks like now:

KC Aviar 175 - Main Putter
KC Aviar 175 - Backup Putter
KC Aviar 173 - New, upshots, short drives
DX Aviar 172 - Beat, turnover upshots, longer jump putts

DX Roc 176 - Beat, turnovers
DX Roc 180 - Seasoned, quite straight, needs little bit more beating
KC Roc 180 - Seasoned, fades little bit more than DX Roc
KC Roc 180 - New, for wind and when I need more fade

DX Eagle X 175 - Beat, turnovers, hyzerflips, rollers
DX Eagle X 175- New
DX Eagle X 175- New
DX Eagle X 175- New
Solf 1.3 169 - Seasoned, distance driver, needs little bit more seasoning
Solf 1.2 170 - New, more overstable than 1.3 Solf
Z Predator 173 - Seasoned, for tough headwinds, tomahawks, trick shots
Z Predator 175 - New, more overstable than the other one

Quick update here, since I switched from OLF's to Beasts. Currently I have two Pro Beasts in my bag and I'll propably put in one Champion as well when I find a good one. I also put in a Champion Rhyno, we'll see whether it's going to stay in or not. So, here's my bag:

KC Aviar 175
KC Aviar 175
DX Aviar 172
KC Aviar 173
Champion Rhyno 175

DX Roc 176
DX Roc 180
KC Roc 180
KC Roc 180

DX Eagle X 175
DX Eagle X 175
DX Eagle X 175
DX Eagle X 175
Pro Beast 167
Pro Beast 175
Z Predator 173
Z Predator 175

All discs are in different stages of wear. I could easily drop one Aviar, Roc, Eagle and Predator out of my bag and still shoot equally well (or bad :p), but I have room in my bag and I want to have back up's in case I happen to lose something, so...

Not often, but you never know what happens. Besides, my Grip EQ -bag rides so well in my back, that carrying five discs less or more is not going to make any difference. I mean, I can load it full with few bottles of water, clothes, snacks and whatever, and I still carry it comfortably whole day.

I was about to say that "WTF that's a shitload of putters", but then I realised I carry 5. Seems like a pretty solid bag, how are you liking the Preds?

Yeah, most of the people around here are also like "WTF do you do with all of those??", but they usually use their putters only for putting. If they threw their putters more, I think they would begin to understand the reason for carrying putters in different stabilities.

I like Preds. Being not a huge arm, I can only throw them about 300' max, but since they are the least overstable of the really overstable drivers, they are not too meathook'ish for me, just good and reliable overstable driver. At my local course there is like one hole I sometimes open with Predator, so I don't drive with it too much. It gets most of it's use on tight s-curve shots in the woods and I also like it for forehand rollers.

Those are all well tested discs that have stood the test of time. The bad looks solid if you have worn at least one putter and mid to be easily thrown to the right turning naturally and holding the anhyzer long.

Yeah, I have one trashed Roc that is easy to throw on left to right lines. Understable putter thing is in progress, I'm trying to beat up that DX Aviar I have in my bag. I've played quite a few one disc rounds with and I throw almost all of my upshots and jump putts with it, but it still doesn't show any high speed turn. Maybe I should hit more trees... :? :D

That's true, and that's what I usually do. Some lines do need or are better thrown with understable disc, though, and understable putter is a thing of beauty, so I'll keep on working on that DX Aviar. Once DX Aviar begins to have some high speed turn, KC Aviar will propably take care of most of my upshots and DX comes out of the bag when some turn is needed.

Latest posts