• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rough edges

User061824

Silver level trusted reviewer
Many of the discs with overall shapes and flight profiles that work for me seem to have a sharp, sometimes very sharp, inner rim corner. Having played half of my first year in the cold, wearing gloves, this only became annoying as we got into spring and the gloves came off. At first, I thought it might be a base plastic vs premium issue, but I'm becoming more convinced that it has something to do with the manufacturing process, as many discs in premiums also have that sharper edge.

So far, my very incomplete

Lines that tend to be smoother on the inner rim:

L64 (generally good)
MVP/Axiom (a bit more disc specific, hit and miss)

Lines I want to throw, but the rims often cause me to buy something else:

Discraft
Innova
RPM

This is not meant to be a comprehensive list, or even to generate such a list. I would be interested in suggestions for lines that are more comfortable to throw, both on FH (where that rim can really dig) and BH. I'd also like to know if others simply sand down the rim, and if so, how this might affect the flight.

If you mean flashing (which I think you do) then it is a byproduct of the manufacturing process and it is easily removed by light sanding. Removal tends to make the discs less overstable. Prodigy used to have an issue with it but fixed most of that a few years back.

when you sand, start slow and easy. it doesn't usually take much to get the sharp nasties off, and the flight change won't be significant (if you throw like me, anyway) :)

Latest posts