• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sanding a disc

Fleshgordon

Birdie Member
When i first started playing everyone had mostly dx plastic. We all know how devastating it could be to your disc to slam into some lumber. Nicks and gashes abound. So my buddy used to keep sandpaper in his discbag and would sand these gashes out. :doh: Dont know what made me remember that but just thought it was funny:D I cant imagine how badly it altered the flight paths of his discs. We were all terrible anyway so it probably didnt matter that much :p

I use really fine sandpaper all the time to get out some rough edges. We're not talking major surgery here, so it has no effect I can see. But then, I am not upper echelon skill level.

Nowadays with many newer players having nice plastic and bags, I can spot the new old schoolers by their beat up prostyle bags and sandpaper.

I carry a small really fine sanding block that works great for getting the sharp edges off of nicks in the edges of discs.

I too have used a fine grit to remove burrs and what not, but this guy used to try smooth out some pretty deep stuff, "major surgery".

None of you have mentioned my preferred method, which is the Bic lighter repair.
Skilled and careful handling of both disc and lighter can repair most large gashes easily and restore the edge.
Clean gashes of dirt and debris before trying to melt them back together though.

I don't like the sharp flashing that you sometimes get on the bottom of some new discs, it shreds my fingers, but I found that 15 seconds of scuffing against a flat concrete surface, like a tee, or a piece of sidewalk, removes this nicely.

I always carry a sharp pocketknife and sandpaper. When I get a gash, which is usually from rocks around here, I just cut it off and sand it down. I have never seen it effect the flight of a disc. I can't throw a disc with a chunk sticking out because I'm OCD and I believe it slows down the spin of a disc faster if I don't remove it.

I had a Roc one time that my Red Healer got ahold of. It had about 1000 teeth holes in it and was almost broken in half. One day I picked it up out of the yard and power drove it as hard as I could. It flew dead straight about as far as any roc I've ever thrown and predictably faded at the end as if it were a gently used Roc.

I bought a brand new wraith dx and after one use at hotshots in MD it looks years old. It got so scuffed up from the roads in one day that I was able to convince my wife I did not by a new disc :)

rubbing on carpet works well too, i have a strip of sample carpet in my bag, but i use it on others discs more than mine, on the course i'm a fan of the lighter method, works great, thorns i pull out with a knife

any carpet, but shorter than shag hehe
its the friction creating heat, and the carpet is like a mild sanding
together they smooth gouges really quick, a few back and forth swipes (while slightly rotating disc) works wonders, its quick and easy

just dont grind on it for long time, do a few strokes, check disc, few more, check disc, it doesn't take long, and you'll feel the heat in the plastic
i've used towels too, but you'll wear through the towel quickly, carpet lasts long time (dont do it in your living room, use a scrap piece)

if i knew how to upload video i'd demonstrate it, i'll work on pics i guess :)

fyi...
PDGA rules prohibit altering a disc in any shape beyond mild use of sandpaper to remove burrs and scuffs.

when i get new discs, i do take either sand paper, or a wine opening knife and remove the extra flashing/untrimmed plastic on the bottom of the lip on the INNER edge where it curves to the underside of the plate). This helps remove the overstable nature of almost all new (innova) discs and helps them get manageable sooner. There is a tad bit of "breaking in" but the disc will fly a lot closer to how it should almost immediately.

(here is a bad drawing of a side view of a disc, logo face down, underside face up)

................. | <- Here, there a touch of untrimmed plastic that changes the flight until worn down/beat in.
./-----------|
|
.\_________ |=======================

* be careful if you attempt this as anything more than "shaving" this little bit off can affect the flight of the disc,kill distance and be illegal as per PDGA rules.

I carry a toe nail clipper and a finger nail file. Most of my discs are base plastic so I use these rather often. I have used a pumice stone with great success but they crumble in your bag.

I do that to my new discs all the time. The plastic flashing that is the result of overmolding is very sharp and can even cut your finger. Just took a very fine grit sandpaper the other day to my brand new Evo Gateway Wizard. Now the bottom is a smooth bead like it's supposed to, not a sharp thin sliver of plastic.

those green scotchbrite pads used for cleaning dishes are fantastic as well. they are great for smoothing out flashing as well.