• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Saving a life while playing disc.

juju

Double Eagle Member
Posted in our Westside Twin Cities yahoo group.

"Drew Bischoff saved a life today at our very own top 15 course, bryant lake. sacrificing a recreational round, he gave life saving cpr and other pulse and breath rectifying life saving methods to a young boy who collapsed on the course. i don't know many other details than drew stepping up to the plate before the emt's made it to the scene. drew said the boy was stablized before being taken to the hospital. as i type this drew was going to check on him. ask drew about his day when you see him."

I posted this before, but I was playing Chili DGC and my buddy had a grand maul siezure for about two minutes. We were the only ones on the course. Scared the chit outta me. Jammed a disc into his mouth to keep him from biting his tongue and rode it out. He had never had one before, and hasn't since. It was actually about my fourth time ever playing.

a few months back a buddy of mine was playing a round and stopped where he was at to put out a grass fire started in someones front yard by a cigarette thrown from a car. He slammed his bag down on it and suffocated the fire before it could get outa hand, probably saved the house and potentially more. by the time the fire dept got there he was back on the course carrying out his round. that should be an innova bag commercial, imo.

dg'ers are just good people, ready for anything!

hopefully the kid revived in the o.p. turns out ok.

wow, great story. props to that guy.

..and seizures are scary things, i saw a friend of mine have a seizure when we were 8 and I didn't know what to do so I just held him down and kept him from flailing. he ended up going to the hospital and they discovered he had cancer. he ended up getting better and has been cancer free ever since.

I posted this before, but I was playing Chili DGC and my buddy had a grand maul siezure for about two minutes. We were the only ones on the course. Scared the chit outta me. Jammed a disc into his mouth to keep him from biting his tongue and rode it out. He had never had one before, and hasn't since. It was actually about my fourth time ever playing.

FYI: don't put ANYTHING in anyone's mouth when having a seizure. For people that have seizures, they have lived that long having seizures that they won't swallow their tounge that time either. For people that don't, nobody swallows their tongue. You just have to ride it out with them. The only thing you should do is try to put something soft under their head and remove anything they may hit when seizing. Help them move to the shade if they can afterward, give them water and assess their awareness. 911 should be called if they are seizing for more than 4 minutes.

I can't believe he "sacraficed' his "recreational" game just to help a person that needed it, what can we say of such people. I see people drop now and then but I stay out of God's way and finish my game. This fellow is truly a hero compared to me and well, naw but it's good that he was able to help.

FYI: don't put ANYTHING in anyone's mouth when having a seizure. For people that have seizures, they have lived that long having seizures that they won't swallow their tounge that time either. For people that don't, nobody swallows their tongue. You just have to ride it out with them. The only thing you should do is try to put something soft under their head and remove anything they may hit when seizing. Help them move to the shade if they can afterward, give them water and assess their awareness. 911 should be called if they are seizing for more than 4 minutes.

They used to recommend putting your wallet in their mouth, but not for swallowing. It was to keep them from biting their tongue off. The only problem is that you can shove their tongue into the back of their throat, cutting off the air and causing them to suffocate. That's the reason they stopped doing it.

I know this has nothing to do with DG but I remember seeing the movie 'First Do No Harm' and that was my first wake up call as to how bad seizures can really be, and effect anyone closely related to the person affected. I know my friend's sister had seizures when she was younger, but she doesn't have them anymore. Kind of seems like for some people it's a phase in their life. But if you have epilepsy then that's a whole different story.

Either way, quite the heart-warming story.

I've had the unpleasant opportunity of being a first-on-the-scene of an accident involving a motorcycle. We were just about to tee off on hole #16 when we heard a couple of crotch rockets throttle up at the top of a nearby hill. By the time they were about to pass by us, a lady was backing her car out of her driveway and she couldn't see the cyclists because of a small slope in the road. The dudes crested the small hill and one went left around her but when the other guy tried to go right, he hit the curb and started to spin while sliding. He went past 2 other houses, across an intersection, and hit the far curb. That shot him up in the air, landing in the weeds and stickers. We all looked at each other, dropped our bags, and ran over to try to help. As I was talking to him, he opened his eyes which rolled back in his head. He had on a helmet but it didn't do much to save him. He tried to get up, then rolled around some, and we urged him to just keep still since we could hear the emergency vehicles coming. He died shortly after while in the ambulance. No fun.

Latest posts