• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sea Level vs 7000' disc comparison Help

HB Mike

Bogey Member
Hi all,

I'm going to be playing a tournament that's at 7000' and the temperature will probably be in the 80s. I've only played at sea level(ish) courses. I'm looking for some advice on disc selection because I won't have an opportunity to practice at altitude before the tournament. What I been told is that everything gets a lot more stable. That I should bring the flippiest stuff I've got, or even 150 class stuff.

What I'm looking for is a disc "A" at sea level = disc "B" at 7000' comparison if that possible.

My bag currently consists of ;

Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ Wraith, Monarch
Fairway: Champ Firebird, KC Gazelle, Champ Teebird
Mid: FLX Drone, FLX Buzz, DX Stingray
P&A: Pig, Wizard, Rattler

I do have a fair amount of 90s era 150 class stuff in storage.

Any help would appreciated.

Mike

Wizard @ sea level = Warlock @ 7000

That's all I got. :)

I've mostly played near sea level and only once have played at a greater elevation where I noticed anything, and that was going out to Spokane, which I think is ~2000'. My discs were definitely more stable there. At the time, I had a RIDT that was pretty much on the brink of retirement b/c it was too flippy at my home course. It pretty much became my goto driver in Spokane. So yeah, I imagine the change to 7000' will be way more drastic. I'd imagine you'd have plenty of use for your Monarch, but not so much for your Firebird or Pig.

Make sure to take a couple of your most beat up, light discs. If you're moving up 7000', then you'll be shocked at the change. I was up at about that height playing a temp course in NM, and was throwing my Classic Roc like it was a firebird. The best disc we had with us was a beat up DX Valk and it was gold.

Take the lightest, flippiest plastic you own, and make sure you get in a few practice throws before you play. Also, make sure to take something glidey. I'd pull some of your 150s class out of the closet. Especially anything with a lot of glide -- gazelles, cheetahs, aeros, etc...

I was shocked in CO, playing Ultimate at 8000'+, just how far we could rip a lid -- a friend an I were playing catch at about 120 yards from one another without too much of a problem. I think at altitude, I could use an Ultimate lid -- or anything else with a lot of float -- and shoot a lot better than I could with my normal DG bag of overstable plastic.

I can testify to this. Your discs will be much more stable at that elevation. I was playing at 5000' and it was pretty dramatic. My valks were flipping up but barely turning. The biggest suprise was the buzzz. It was much more stable than at sea level. It flew like my rocs.

Bring all your discs and play a practice round in order to determine your exact bag. Since all the courses around here are up in Tahoe, most of the time I'm playing at 6500ft, and my bag in those conditions:

164 Star Wraith
172 DX Gazelle
171 Champ Firebird
180 Pro Roc
180 Star Ontario Roc
172 DX Aviar
151 Evo Wizard

At sea level, the Gazelle becomes a Teebird and the 164 Wraith is replaced by 175 version. Other than that, it's the same bag. Make sure you do not just adjust your discs, also adjust the way you throw, your strategy (what would be a hyzer-flip release angle at sea level becomes a pure hyzer angle at 7000ft). Don't mix up your bag with unfamiliar discs simply because of the elevation -- it defidently affects the flight, but chances are that your "money" disc at sea level will still be your "money" disc at 7000ft, it just needs to be thrown slightly differently .

Sounds like 150 class would be the way I'd go (and my Comet). Instead of working with molds you're unfamiliar with (by changing molds of the same weight, or pulling a bunch of older plastic out that you might mind losing), a great many current molds are available in 150 class.

You want to play well at high elevation, practice your forehand so you don't have to throw as many turnover shots. Having beat up discs of any weight is more important than necessarily lighter weight discs like 150s. All the lighter weight will do is make it easier to start the flight with a little more turn than a heavier weight but once it leaves your hand, if it's a stable model in the first place, it will still go more stable during flight.

Using a lighter weight putter can be helpful. In fact, following up on the comment regarding ultimate discs going farther, consider using a disc like the Zephyr for putting which provides more float, especially for longer putts.

MRSheridan said:
Drivers: Pro Destroyer, Champ Wraith, Monarch
Fairway: Champ Firebird, KC Gazelle, Champ Teebird
Mid: FLX Drone, FLX Buzz, DX Stingray
P&A: Pig, Wizard, Rattler

you'll probably want to drop the destroyer, firebird, and gazelle. your wraith will be your hyzer disc and you'll probably use your monarch for all open distance shots. teebird will be very stable as well unless it's really beat up.