• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selling used discs and a few other questions...

MTyler

Hey all,

Got back into throwing about six months ago. Suddenly my days are spent wondering whether I should be bagging rocs or buzzzs...

Couple newbie Qs:

1) Where can I go about selling used discs? I have some mystery box Discmania plastic that is too beef for my arm...

2) Why does every Innova pro seem to throw star destroyers, as opposed to other plastics? Is there a weight I should be considering for my first "long range" driver? I'm throwing my 168g champ leopard about 300 on a good toss. Also have a 170 star thunderbird for more hyzer shots. Just wondering if a lighter weight distance driver could get me over the 300 hump... suggestions welcome.

Lastly, I'm living temporarily in Missoula MT and will be playing at least a few rounds/week at Blue Mountain and surrounding courses. If anyone in the area wants to meet up for a round, HMU!

Thanks in advance,
MT
From Santa Cruz

There is a marketplace here on the forum that people use, you can likely trade for stuff that will work for you as well.

Star Destroyers are popular because they have a lot of variation in their stability so pro's will bag 5+ of them and they act like 5 different discs with the same hand feel. They have good glide, good speed, and the overstable ones handle wind. Basically they can do anything if you know how to pick them and/or you get a ton for free to sort through. If you just try one it could be a bomber disc if you have a big arm, or it could fight through a tornado and try to dig a hole through the ground from its fade. Champ Destroyers often are on the overstable side and can have less glide, so they aren't as popular.

I would recommend a Sidewinder as a next step up. A Sidewinder is similar to a Leopard but faster and with a lot more distance potential. For someone in the 300'ish range it's a good disc. Going up to a very fast disc will result in more fade and potentially not much more distance, or if it's super understable to avoid the fade it will be very unpredictable. Also they get more nose angle sensitive as the rim gets wider and sharper.

Getting over 300' is a lot of form, but a 300' throw with a Leo is a good throw. Check out a Star or Gstar Sidewinder, or Roadrunner perhaps. If it goes the same distance as your Leo then it's likely form holding you back, if it's going consistently farther than the Leo, say 10-30' depending on the specific disc stability, then you have enough power to see its advantages. Of course working on form will get all your discs farther. But at 300' lots of people see all their drivers go the same distance-ish because of some form issues.

Slowplastic knows his stuff, you can trust his advice... My 2 cents, having max d similar to yours, is yes lighter weights will give anyone more distance. Sidewinder and Roadrunner are excellent suggestions for a 300ft thrower. Not sure how light those 2 discs get in Champion plastic but if they go down to 150 grams they will add distance to your throws. I personally feel more comfortable gripping Mambas and Mvp Waves in lighter weights. Those 2 discs are recommended by others in this power range also. Anything faster than those 2 discs haven't been useful to me. Final point, those discs mentioned can get you an extra 20 ft or 30 ft max d now but the only way to see significant gains is better form. I hope to get there someday myself.

Hey all,

Got back into throwing about six months ago. Suddenly my days are spent wondering whether I should be bagging rocs or buzzzs...

Couple newbie Qs:

1) Where can I go about selling used discs? I have some mystery box Discmania plastic that is too beef for my arm...

2) Why does every Innova pro seem to throw star destroyers, as opposed to other plastics? Is there a weight I should be considering for my first "long range" driver? I'm throwing my 168g champ leopard about 300 on a good toss. Also have a 170 star thunderbird for more hyzer shots. Just wondering if a lighter weight distance driver could get me over the 300 hump... suggestions welcome.

Lastly, I'm living temporarily in Missoula MT and will be playing at least a few rounds/week at Blue Mountain and surrounding courses. If anyone in the area wants to meet up for a round, HMU!

Thanks in advance,
MT
From Santa Cruz

I bag a 162 star destroyer and can get it over 380, if you can get a leopard that far try a wide rim but don't go for a destroyer right away, try a katana.

Last edited:
I use Destoyer but, they are Champion as there is too much veneration in the Star models. Also I recomend Valkyrie as a big step up from the Leopard if you do not want Leopard 3 but get the Champion though Stay away from the Flat top Star models as those take more power via the same weight of disc as a flat top Champion.

There isn't a magical disc that's going to get you over 300ft, it's all about working on your form.

A leopard is capable of well over 300ft.
Yes, lighter discs (as in 150 class) are easier to get some more speed on, but that doesn't always mean more distance. I think they're more nose angle sensitive and the wind can cause a lot of consistency problems, but yes, they are fun to throw. I find my sweet spot to be around 163-165gr range.

A star Sidewinder is a good option, also, a Pro Valkyrie. But honestly, I would suggest buying a 170gr DX Teebird and an Eagle. As they beat in, they have amazing control and glide, become great hyzer-flip discs and probably will fly further than any other 9 speed discs you might be thinking of trying. They will end up being the most fun discs to throw, and even though they're base plastic, these two molds can fly well until they are literally trashed. There is a lot you can learn by buying two cheap discs.

Last edited:
DX Teebird is a great suggestion. It's everything Keller said it is. It's even cheap! Sidewinder and Valkyrie are also winners.

I use Destoyer but, they are Champion as there is too much veneration in the Star models. Also I recomend Valkyrie as a big step up from the Leopard if you do not want Leopard 3 but get the Champion though Stay away from the Flat top Star models as those take more power via the same weight of disc as a flat top Champion.

Ha ha. Do you mean variation?

There can never be too much veneration of Star Destroyers.

Appreciate the suggestions regarding form. The leopard seems like the perfect disc for my arm at the moment. Less prone to dumping left with form flaws. Buuut, is there any merit to a disc that exposes those flaws a bit more? An eagle or teebird might be great options with less understability, thus requiring more consistent release etc., and I'm coming to understand that base plastic can be your best friend in the early stages...

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Appreciate the suggestions regarding form. The leopard seems like the perfect disc for my arm at the moment. Less prone to dumping left with form flaws. Buuut, is there any merit to a disc that exposes those flaws a bit more? An eagle or teebird might be great options with less understability, thus requiring more consistent release etc., and I'm coming to understand that base plastic can be your best friend in the early stages...

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Faster or more overstable discs will dump left if you don't get them up to speed, so not necessarily a form flaw IMO. If you didn't hit a shot as hard as you should have you'll know, the disc dumping early and left isn't going to identify it much easier for you, but it'll instead cover up torqued over shots. A stable-understable disc like a Leo will still act more OS if you get it nose up, especially when you're used to how it should fly typically.

A faster disc will be more nose angle sensitive, they are sharper and wider at the edge and tend to stall out much worse if you don't keep them nose down. So if you want something for nose down practice then getting something faster to get used to it in your hand isn't a bad idea. I definitely recommend something understable though so that it actually flies as it should, and so you can see some turn out of it if you keep it nose down and significantly different flights if it's nose up...likely climbing and bombing out left.

A Gstar Teebird is a decent option if you want something more stable than your Champ Leo but less OS and easier to throw than your Star Thunderbird. I have only thrown Star Thunderbirds from when they were first run a while ago, but they were very very beefy whereas a Gstar Teebird will be a bit straighter. If you don't like Gstar plastic then a Star TL is a good option for a step up from a Leo. Of course champ Leo's vary a bit, some start out pretty stable...but really you can't go wrong with having lots of neutral fairway drivers while learning. DX Teebirds are awesome but they do beat in to overlap with Leopards. Very great flight and glide though.