• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sins of Disc Golf Bags

SSquirrel

Double Eagle Member
I was thinking about all the different things that people complain about when it comes to a new disc golf bag and decided to make a list and see what other people could add.

1. Stick to dates. Grip's original launch, Salient, etc. This horse is a bloody pulp already

2. Don't make a bag that looks like a cooler, unless it actually IS a cooler. The Hyzer Bomb Demo and the new Small Axe bag are functionally coolers as well as disc golf bags. That is ok. Innova Starter bags (one of MANY examples) look like small insulated coolers typically. I own one ( as well as a similar Lightning bag a friend gave me) and only have it b/c I was doing a minimal initial investment. This may just be my pet peeve w/disc golf bags, I dunno.

3. If you sell a premium bag, don't chintz out on the material. Many reports of the bottoms of Rangers tearing up are a good example here.

4. Actually show pictures of all your products. Gateway's bag page doesn't actually show their Mini Backpack. I'd rather see more pictures of everything too, but it's really minimal.

5. Try to produce a decent website. This should be obvious and there are plenty of eyesore examples on the web.

6. Make sure one of your bag features doesn't minimize another one. I like the look of the Upper Park Focus, but if you actually use the water reservoir, people report back that you can't fit more than 5 or 6 discs or risk things bending and being too tight to get in and out. It's advertised as an 8 disc carrier, rework it so the reservoir doesn't impinge on the number of discs you can carry.

I'm epileptic and getting overheated has triggered seizures in me before. I end up not playing when it gets really hot out b/c it's hard to keep enough cold water to not get overheated too much. I would really like something like the Focus as a result, but if I'm only going to have 6 discs in it, I can take literally any bag instead and just put another bottle of ice water in my Utilikilt.

I think that's enough for now. What other issues do folks see as things that will drive people away from products that are announced?

How about making a first run bag, then coming out with a superior second run bag only a few months after the first run? Big Hyzer did this with the Ergo, and it served to make it look like first run adopters financed a prototype run (while simultaneously killing the resale market for the first runs, as well).

Not having any to sell your customers around the holidays?
Seriously. When is an outside manufacturer or vendor gonna pick up the slack and extra business?

Not having any to sell your customers around the holidays?
Seriously. When is an outside manufacturer or vendor gonna pick up the slack and extra business?

Yeah I'm glad I don't have the money to think about getting a Karma right now. They don't have my preferred blue in stock. I do like the purple tho..

How about making a first run bag, then coming out with a superior second run bag only a few months after the first run? Big Hyzer did this with the Ergo, and it served to make it look like first run adopters financed a prototype run (while simultaneously killing the resale market for the first runs, as well).

I actually prefer the first run.

6. Make sure one of your bag features doesn't minimize another one. I like the look of the Upper Park Focus, but if you actually use the water reservoir, people report back that you can't fit more than 5 or 6 discs or risk things bending and being too tight to get in and out. It's advertised as an 8 disc carrier, rework it so the reservoir doesn't impinge on the number of discs you can carry.

I have the Upper Park Shift Bag. I've really liked it but have had an issue with it and couldn't articulate what it was until I read this. On the inside of the bag, there are mesh pockets that will hold a disc, but if the rest of the bag is loaded, there is a chance (very likely) that the disc in the mesh will get warped or bent. If the bag is going to have the slot for the discs, make enough room in the compartment to actually hold the equipment as advertised.

Militant customer service that goes on public forums and bad mouthes every other bag on the market on any bag related post possibke and becomes vicious if anyone so much as points out a con with their product. And you all know who I'm talking about. In short, be professional with marketing and interaction with customers.

Militant customer service that goes on public forums and bad mouthes every other bag on the market on any bag related post possibke and becomes vicious if anyone so much as points out a con with their product. And you all know who I'm talking about. In short, be professional with marketing and interaction with customers.

:clap:

If you blatantly rip off another company's design make sure you do it better.
If you rebrand a bag let everyone know it's rebranded. DD did a good job I think of not hiding the fact they reworked an Ogio design but there are others that have not done so.
You will not come up with a better name than NutSac for your bag so don't get cute with it just name it something and make sure it's quality.

That's it for me.

If you blatantly rip off another company's design make sure you do it better.
If you rebrand a bag let everyone know it's rebranded. DD did a good job I think of not hiding the fact they reworked an Ogio design but there are others that have not done so.
You will not come up with a better name than NutSac for your bag so don't get cute with it just name it something and make sure it's quality.

That's it for me.

I don't believe that DD reworked or repurposed an Ogio bag like some others have done. They just hired Ogio to build their bags. I still have serious doubts regarding the durability of the materials, but I can't fault them for not being honest and upfront and original with their design and release.

They also took the biggest complaints from the first run and fixed them quick, which I appreciate. And didn't "fix" the issues by just making a new bag, like the Ergo 2 or the Contender. I know a lot of people who would have just preferred an improved Ergo instead of a new bag.

Not enough time to go into exactly which gripe was with which bags, but...
Some of my bag gripes have been:

The marker/mini pocket doesn't hold the marker/mini tightly and it is always falling out and getting lost.

2-putter pockets that are just a little bit too small and cause you to have to shove the second one in and also hold one of them to get the other out.

The damn things are always tipping over on the slightest incline. Seriously? Every bag should have a good, stiff bottom and rigid corners/edges so that it doesn't roll over all the time.

Bags need a good place to hang bag tags from. Some of us like to have quite a few of these and there never seems to be a place to hang them that they don't get in the way of a pocket or a strap or a water bottle holder.

I really hate that almost all of the straps I've tried because they have that rough webbing on the bottom of the strap cushion - it really tears up dri-fit shirts.

I hate the loose pencil holders. The moment your bag tips a bit, your pencil is gone and you don't notice until the next hole.

I don't believe that DD reworked or repurposed an Ogio bag like some others have done. They just hired Ogio to build their bags. I still have serious doubts regarding the durability of the materials, but I can't fault them for not being honest and upfront and original with their design and release.

They also took the biggest complaints from the first run and fixed them quick, which I appreciate. And didn't "fix" the issues by just making a new bag, like the Ergo 2 or the Contender. I know a lot of people who would have just preferred an improved Ergo instead of a new bag.

From the brief talks to a few different employees there they took existing ogio designs and figured out what changes they needed to make it a better bag for disc golf. Then sent that back to Ogio so they could make the changes.

Just an aside, yesterday while I was in DD getting my blend judge Rusco told me about a fourth bag that was in the works. I asked to see it but an employee had it out to test but he did have the original Ogio bag and described to me the changes in pocket layout they had come up with and how it would be when finished. I already have the sniper and use it some but with my grip I never needed a ranger. The commander I do like but didn't have a use for either with the grip. This new bag I will be purchasing though and for a variety of reasons. Mainly the fact it will have dual water pockets and fill a need I have in my bag lineup. I don't know when they will be available but I asked if it's a GBO player pack possibility and he said no then told me what was probably going to be in the pack. Too far to say now with certainty but I'm definitely not missing the GBO. :thmbup: