• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So how is the Gateway Slayer?

TheBGKid

I havent checked out any of the manufacturers sights lately, but decided to check on GDS and saw articles about the Slayer. So, for those who have thrown them, what are your reviews? Similar in flight pattern to...? Speed? Pros/cons? Thanks!

For me, the two I have fly like a brand new Pro Destroyer, maybe a touch less in the speed category. It's a nice disc. I haven't beaten one up yet. So, I can't speak to their longevity.

I haven't thrown a production run, but they felt pretty good. I'll grab one for testing the next time I'm at the store.

I have 3, two are flippy like a beat pro destroyer and one is stable like a force. The stable one is labeled firm and the other two just seem to be normal plastic.

i hope that they run these in the clear hpp plastic eventually. then i will consider picking one up. they fly really nicley though, just as the others said, like a pro destroyer.

NoLifeLeft said:
Well, hopefully the one I get is the "beat Pro Destroyer" flavor.

When I talked to Dave he said that the Evo Slayers are less stable and easier to throw, while the HPP Slayers are the beefy ones geared for bigger arms.

roman said:
NoLifeLeft said:
Well, hopefully the one I get is the "beat Pro Destroyer" flavor.

When I talked to Dave he said that the Evo Slayers are less stable and easier to throw, while the HPP Slayers are the beefy ones geared for bigger arms.
All of the ones I've seen that are production run have an "Evolution High Performance Polymer" stamp. I haven't seen any without the HPP stamp.

I'll add my concurrence...I've thrown a couple, and indeed they seem to go like a Pro Destroyer. Similar rim feel, too.

I got one for free testing. It was impossible for me to get any good lines that you could use on course. It was only good for loooooong S curve shots, but it is amazingly fast.

i got a proto from a tourney. it is the color of a butterscotch pudding looking forward to getting it out to the field. I think it is just e plastic not hpp.

got out and threw the proto yesterday and it was long and straight. very nice fh driver didn't turnoverhard and had foward carry on the fade. i threw it alond side a hurricane, z nuke and a bolt ( only bh for the bolt as it just flipped fh). bh the bolt was the longest the nuke and slayer about same just out distancing the hurricane. Fh the slayer was just a touch longer then the nuke and hurricane,

I just replaced my Nuke Z with the Slayer as my main distance disc. I throw around 380ft on my max drives and have found the Slayer to be just a touch more understable than the Nuke, which helps if I don't get all the snap that I want. Because of this, I find it more forgiving than the Nuke and almost always outdrives the Nuke by about 10ft. I also throw the DD2 C-line which is has little more HHS than the Slayer. I find the description of the slayer as being like a broken-in- pro Destroyer to be true, but only a slightly broken-in Pro Destroyer. I have a very broken-in Pro Destroyer that is way flipper than the Slayer, were as my new Pro Destroyer is a little more stable than the slayer. Hope that helps, Also want to throw my love out there for the Westside VIP Sword which has replaced my New Pro Destroyer as my Max Distance Stable driver. Thrown around 380ft it holds it's line very well with just a hint of turn , if any, then finishes with a softer, more forward fade than the Destroyer, which gives it a little more distance.