• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

South Philadelphia Course Recommendations

Cheezfry

Hello, My wife and I will be just south of Philadelphia and looking to throw a round on Tuesday. I was hoping that you guys could recommend a good course. We are definitely rec level players, and would hope to find a nice relaxing course that is hopefully very scenic. I have done some preliminary research and it seems like some of my options are:

Camp Sankanac (is it open Tuesdays?)
Iron Hill (big bonus that there is a brewery near by)
Stafford Woods
Brandywine Creek
Sledgley Woods (mildly afraid of dealing with traffic and parking)

What am I missing? Can you guys please help me out? Thanks in advance!

Hello, My wife and I will be just south of Philadelphia and looking to throw a round on Tuesday. I was hoping that you guys could recommend a good course. We are definitely rec level players, and would hope to find a nice relaxing course that is hopefully very scenic. I have done some preliminary research and it seems like some of my options are:

Camp Sankanac (is it open Tuesdays?)
Iron Hill (big bonus that there is a brewery near by)
Stafford Woods
Brandywine Creek
Sledgley Woods (mildly afraid of dealing with traffic and parking)

What am I missing? Can you guys please help me out? Thanks in advance!

I can't speak to the others; but Stafford woods is top notch and scenic. And there is an iron hill brewery location 5 minutes away.

Sedgley isn't bad if you get there early. Parking is good and its not hard to get to, its really close to the Philadelphia Zoo. The neighborhood surrounding it isn't the best. Playing early is your best bet.

If you want to go out of the city you can go 76 to 422 to 100 and play Camp Sanc. Open on Tuesdays and its a great course. They ask for donations to maintain the course and its well worth the couple dollars to play.

About 20 minutes from Camp Sanc is French Creek. Has a silver and gold layout. Another good wooded course with tight fairways. You may really hate tree's when you're done.

You can head south to Delaware for Iron Hill, I've never played it but it looks like a tough wooded course. Was just featured on Disc Golf Monthly.

Jersey has Stafford, another I haven't been out to play but is high recommended.

You can take I95 North to Newtown (rt 413) and play Tyler. 36 holes with an East and West layout. Play it while you can before they start taking down tree's cause of a beetle infestation. East is a the better of the two courses, West is still new and has some natural tee pads. Don't let that stop you. Both are excellent courses.

You're also within an hour of the Upper Bucks/Lehigh Valley (76 to 476 get off at Quakertown exit. Toll road) area. You have Nockamixion (best course in the area IMO) they just had a tournament this past weekend so it's in great shape. Has scenic views of the lake. Warning....she's a beast.

No to far away from Nocki you have Sellersville, par 54 (57 with practice basket). Mix of wooded and open with lots of OB water around. Depending on the layout you could have 15 holes with the basket near the water.

Bootleggers Cave, newer course with home made baskets. Considered a "mini Nocki". Lots of boulders, elevation change and some unique tee boxes. Might not be ideal since we've had some rain. The rocks get slippery.

I'll mention Butter Valley. New course designed by a local pro. It's on a ball golf course. Cost about $17 for 1 person and a golf cart rental. It's a beautiful course but still a little rough. Tee pads are an issue. If you can't bomb you may be frustrated with the course. A lot of low ceiling tunnel shots with the basket being right in front of you....400' down the fairway.

Going into the LeHigh Valley (Take 76 to 476 up to Allentown, toll road or follow 309 north from Quakertown) there is Jordan Creek, Parkway (Little LeHigh), Upper Mac, South Mountain and Whers (cover bridge).I listed them in the order of how I fun they are. Jordan being the best of them. If you go up to here I would suggest Jordan and possibly Parkway. Be prepared to walk if you play parkway.

Upper Mac, South Mountain and Whers are all par 54 courses. You'll have to look at a map, some of these are very close to each other and can be played right after the other with only a 5 minute drive to it.

Honestly, you can search here (DGCR) for Philadelphia and do a 50 mile search and find some the best courses in the Mid-Atlantic if not east coast area.

Nocki, Jordan, Parkway and Tinicum hosted worlds in 2005. Nocki still holds the record for being the hardest course ever to host worlds. Avery Jenkins mentions that Nocki is the hardest course he's ever played. Nocki rewards you for staying in the fairway and punishes you if you go off of it. Par is 68 with some holes having multiple pin positions (4, 5, 7, 10 and 17).

Last edited:
Parking isn't a problem at Sedgley, there is plenty and it's free. It's fine as a rec course. 3 tees per hole and it's got a lot of trees. I might be available this Tuesday if you need a guide at Sedgley or Stafford, I'm not playing though, I need to save my arm for a road trip later this week.

Everything said above is true, good advice.

Flying Fish brewery has a tasting room but no food, it is not far from Stafford.

There is also the forgotten boardwalk brewery tasting room straight down the road from Stafford (about 10min), but they aren't open on Tuesdays.

Brandywine. One of the most scenic courses anywhere this time of year.
Lol this ^. If you are rec level, Iron Hill is gonna be rough! Nockamixon and Camp Sankanac are pretty but brutal. French Creek is mostly just brutal.

For rec players I'd recommend Sedgley, South Mountain, Boulder. Brandywine if the wind isn't howling and tall grass isn't out of control. Stafford is probably not as scenic but more technical than the others but still fun, just beware losing discs on the two pond holes.

Thank you guys so much for all of the suggestions and tips! If we start our day at sledgley, is there a limit on time parked? Could we park, grab breakfast in the city (reading market) then head back to play disc golf before going to another course outside of the city? Maybe sledgley in the morning brandywine in the afternoon?

No limit on the parking at Sedgley. Street parking near the Reading Terminal will take luck to find (pay the meters) or pay the expensive parking lots/garages.

Played Brandywine today. Beautiful day, tall grass a non issue as the park has started doing their fall cuts of the rough. I'd recommend there or Iron Hill. 2 Stones pub after either or course, both has one near by and their tap selection is some of the best in the state.

Looks like I'm off to brandywine this morning, thanks for the help guys! What a wonderful DG community you guys must have here!!! Maybe I'll peak at iron hill or just walk the course, those woods look so beautiful.

Cheers!

Sankanac is my favorite course in the area. Brandywine is definitely beautiful if you've never been there though.

Just updating this old thread, but Stafford Woods is gorgeous now. They really done a lot of stuff to it. When it has been rainy and wet, its easily my spot to go. I mostly play at Sedgley and they are making the course nice as well. The people couldn't be nicer. Sure, in a large group of people...you will have 1 or 2 idiots. 2 Pro level guys who play at Sedgley and all over kinda took me in and taught me so much as if I was paying them for lessons. One of them I now consider a good friend. Day or night, I never had one run in with any danger whatsoever.....even when I often go alone.

The only danger IMO would be to play holes 19-27 first (so it doesn't get dark on ya). It is hard to see in the "Outer Back".

Latest posts