• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Stag VS Escape VS Saint

G-Vaughn0906

I have an older run of an Escape, and it's dead straight for me. I can't flip it over, hyzer-flip it, or anything. Just dead straight with a nice hookup at the end. Based on what I've heard, the Escape is a lot flippier than what I've experienced.

Looking for a slightly understable 8-9 speed that can get me a lot of distance for those s-shots. Would any of these discs be good for that, or is there another mold that would be better? I also own a Sapphire, but I find it's way too flippy for what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

I don't have too much experience with the Stag myself. I've only seen a buddy use a couple of them, and they seem to be nice late drifters without much fade, but his were beat-in.

The Saint is one tick down in stability to an Escape. A new Saint might act like your beat-in Escape, or even slightly more high speed stable, but should beat in to where you want it within a month or two.

If you want S-shouts out of the box and you don't quite have the arm to get the Saint or Escape to do what you want to do, the Essence is great.

Beaver Branch Disc Golf Adventures on youtube has exactly the videos you're looking for if you already haven't seen them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83SCPjyOzSA

Give the Saint a try - great disc for flex shots.

I've bagged all three of those molds previously. To me they all fill the same slot in the bag, just in slightly different ways.

Compared to the Escape, the Stag is a touch slower and more workable. It powers down a little better, while the Escape gives you slightly more max distance. Not different enough to warrant bagging both.

The Saint and Escape have extremely similar flight characteristics. The biggest difference in my experience between those two molds is in hand feel. Saint has a noticeable plus rim shape, while the Escape has a more traditional inner rim.

If I was dead set on bagging Escapes, and wanted a more understable version of one, then these are the options I'd look at:
a. Beat in the current Escape. That's the main benefit of Trilogy plastic – beats into the sweet spot quickly and is easy to cycle.
b. Buy a new Escape that is 10-15g lighter than the current Escape.
c. Buy a DGA ProLine Pipeline. An SP Pipeline is very similar to a Stag, but Pipelines are a tick less stable in ProLine plastic. The SP & ProLine combo for Pipelines is what I currently bag for my workhorse fairway mold.
d. DD Vandal. I'm hesitant to recommend this because I've never actually thrown one. But DD advertises the Vandal as a less stable Escape, so this would be the textbook answer.

d. DD Vandal. I'm hesitant to recommend this because I've never actually thrown one. But DD advertises the Vandal as a less stable Escape, so this would be the textbook answer.

This is great advice. The only problem is, one might have to season it a bit. There is variation like we see with many discs, and I have ended up with some straight to fade ones. My best one ever got run over by mowers and i am still trying to work one into that flight.

If you can compare Valkyries in a store and find one with a low PLH and around 165ish g, they have replaced trilogy flippy fairways for me. GStar is good.

Actually the Westside disc of this formula was the Northman, nearly identical to the Escape in every way. Both shared a 2.0 rim.
Saint is a notch slower at 1.9, same as the Stag.

Actually the Westside disc of this formula was the Northman, nearly identical to the Escape in every way. Both shared a 2.0 rim.
Saint is a notch slower at 1.9, same as the Stag.

Good luck finding a Northman. Great disc but has not been in production for at least 2 years I want to say. I got a stack of them thankfully.

Trilogy has, or had, a lot of similar numbered discs as far as flight ratings scattered among the 3 brands. A non X plastic Getaway may be an option.

My Escape is very beat in, I have a Getaway, and it flies relatively similar to the escape I have. I throw about 350-400, so I don't think the problem is me not being able to get the disc fast enough for it to fly like it's flight numbers.

A non X plastic Getaway may be an option.

My Escape is very beat in, I have a Getaway, and it flies relatively similar to the escape I have. I throw about 350-400, so I don't think the problem is me not being able to get the disc fast enough for it to fly like it's flight numbers.

You guys both have thrown Getaways that are similar to Escapes? :confused:

I've had a pretty large sample size of both discs, and never had any Getaways that flew like an Escape. Even the one Lucid-X Escape I owned, which was far more HSS than a normal Escape, still didn't have anywhere close to the fade of a Getaway.

Getaway = DD's Thunderbird
Escape = DD's Valkyrie

I guess if G-Vaughn's current Escape flies as stable as a Getaway, then buying any new Escape off the shelf should easily be less stable than the one you already have.

Yeah, I have very little Getaway experience but mine look and feel kind of like Escapes but flight wise I'd say they slot in closer to a Felon than an Escape.

I tried both Saint, Escape and Stag but I actually bag the Northman and Longbowman now.

Both the Saint and Escape felt fairly unpredictable in (head)winds for me, the Northman does more what I expect. The Stag is very close to my bag, but I don't like the strong fade he has. I also feel he has more turn beforehand, so I never reached for it for straighter shots, more the ?-shots.

A buddy used to bag Strikers, but the runs seemed very inconsistent. I'm not sure if they are actually still available...

Sampo could be another disc in this category, but just as difficult to get your hands on as the Northman...

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&id=LR1130002516520632179003614119O

I've had a pretty large sample size of both discs, and never had any Getaways that flew like an Escape. Even the one Lucid-X Escape I owned, which was far more HSS than a normal Escape, still didn't have anywhere close to the fade of a Getaway.

Getaway = DD's Thunderbird
Escape = DD's Valkyrie

I guess if G-Vaughn's current Escape flies as stable as a Getaway, then buying any new Escape off the shelf should easily be less stable than the one you already have.
Yeah, I'm very confused on how my beat in Lucid Escape is so stable. I have a prime one as well, and it's MUCH flippier. Maybe getting another Escape is my best option.

Yeah, I'm very confused on how my beat in Lucid Escape is so stable. I have a prime one as well, and it's MUCH flippier. Maybe getting another Escape is my best option.

Yeah man, I think getting another Escape is your answer. Even if it's not as understable as you want, then at least you'll have a backup for your current one. Try to go 10ish grams lighter if you can, which will help to ensure it's a less stable one.

I have a 173g prime escape and it has a nice turn and fade pattern. I can turn it over, but generally like the flight I get out of it on a hyzer flip.

I have a VIP Hatchet that has a similar flight, but doesn't fight back to fade very much.

In this same area, I have some ~150g Wraiths in DX plastic that are great for the flip up hyzer line and 165g Valkyries in DX as well.

Head winds I go up in weight and typically premium plastic as they seem to be more stable. Trying to figure out what works best for me, I bought several premium plastic Valks in the max weight range and they tend to be pretty stable comparatively--a little head wind and they do some nice things.

I guess just to round out my advise, I'll say what my fairway lineup was when I bagged Escapes:

Lucid-X Felon (utility OS)
beat Fuzion Felon (workhorse forehands & stiff headwind backhands)
Fuzion Getaway (straight-to-fade backhands)
Lucid Escape (flip-to-flat workhorse for backhands)
beat Lucid Escape (big S curves)
VIP Hatchet (turnovers and utility US)