• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Star SL Replacement Ideas??

SirGawain

Par Member
I know there are a couple older threads dedicated to this already, but they are 1+ years old. I was wondering if there is anything that is a good replacement for the pre 2011 SLs. It is my go to driver and I almost lost it this weekend. Some said Valks, Vikings, Northman, etc. I wanna know if these are still the standard replacement, or are there any newer discs that might fit the bill better in a Star-esque plastic?

How does your SL fly for you now?

IMO northmans have less stability unless they have changed that mold too. more like a -2/1

Last edited:
Its pretty beat in. I throw RHFH with it. When thrown flat, I get a pretty good S Curve, with it usually finishing neutral to stable. On an anhyzer, it will hold it until the very end then flatten out.

How about a current production Star SL? Why would you think those don't fly like your older one? Or are you looking for an out of the box disc that flies like a beat in Star SL?

How about a current production Star SL? Why would you think those don't fly like your older one? Or are you looking for an out of the box disc that flies like a beat in Star SL?

They discontinued the SL. Something with a mold breaking in 2011 and the replacement wasn't the same so they did away with it altogether. I can handle beating one in, that doesn't bother me. It is just an integral part of my game and losing it would mess me up. I know there won't be a perfect replacement, but something close.

They discontinued the SL. Something with a mold breaking in 2011 and the replacement wasn't the same so they did away with it altogether. I can handle beating one in, that doesn't bother me. It is just an integral part of my game and losing it would mess me up. I know there won't be a perfect replacement, but something close.

That's funny, I have seen star sl's in gggt and many other stores. They aren't popular at all so there are still plenty out there.

Its pretty beat in. I throw RHFH with it. When thrown flat, I get a pretty good S Curve, with it usually finishing neutral to stable. On an anhyzer, it will hold it until the very end then flatten out.

MVP Tesla is a little more like a true starfire but once seasoned will have a little turn to it and always reliable fade. An MVP inertia is very similar to a valk/SL. Neutron plastic would be the star-like blend.

3ology discs I've thrown which might work are striker, flow, and saint.

I got a pro starfire Id part with

not all pro starfires are sl. If the rim iss curved, starfire if flat it is sl. I find sl's all the time marked SF. I mean it is innova after all and we all know that they are lazy as hell about marking discs.

MVP Tesla is a little more like a true starfire but once seasoned will have a little turn to it and always reliable fade. An MVP inertia is very similar to a valk/SL. Neutron plastic would be the star-like blend.

3ology discs I've thrown which might work are striker, flow, and saint.

I have thought about trying some Trilogy discs. Never thrown one. This could be a great excuse/chance to try them out :hfive:

Honestly, the more time I'm getting in with my Salient Napalm, the more i'm using it like my old Champ SLs. The Star SLs are probably different, but in comparison to my 2006 Champ SL, it's pretty close.

not all pro starfires are sl. If the rim iss curved, starfire if flat it is sl. I find sl's all the time marked SF. I mean it is innova after all and we all know that they are lazy as hell about marking discs.

Im aware not all of them are SL. But I wasnt sure what the deciding factor was. I kind of assumed go by the flight ratings listed on the disc, but we all know how reliable those can be... I'll check out the rim when I get home.

My heart broke along with the SL mold in 2011. I cried out, along with many others, to Innova about it and they tried to have the mold repaired (who knows what they really did). Unfortunately, the "repaired" SL mold discs were not the same. They were much domier and, somehow, at the same time, more stable to overstable than the originals. Innova also tried to sell me on the Pro Starfire, swearing it was the same... but I found it to be the same as the replacement Star SL's - blech.

Fortunately for me, I was able to buy a bunch of CFR SL's that were available through the Innova Factory Seconds store. Those babies are just like the Star SL, but last a little longer.

All that said, the closest thing I've personally found to an SL is an unlikely candidate. Star Archon. Weird, I know... but it does fly very similar for me.

My heart broke along with the SL mold in 2011. I cried out, along with many others, to Innova about it and they tried to have the mold repaired (who knows what they really did). Unfortunately, the "repaired" SL mold discs were not the same. They were much domier and, somehow, at the same time, more stable to overstable than the originals. Innova also tried to sell me on the Pro Starfire, swearing it was the same... but I found it to be the same as the replacement Star SL's - blech.

Fortunately for me, I was able to buy a bunch of CFR SL's that were available through the Innova Factory Seconds store. Those babies are just like the Star SL, but last a little longer.

All that said, the closest thing I've personally found to an SL is an unlikely candidate. Star Archon. Weird, I know... but it does fly very similar for me.

Don't drop the SL just buy a bunch of CFR SL from disc golf values and other websites. 10 should last you the rest of your life. I currently have one seasoned and another that is brand new. Great disc for long anhyzers that land flat, rollers ending left, forehand for weaker players, smooth s-curves that don't have a hard fade at the end, and finesse hyzer-flips that end left.

If you don't want to continue using an OOP disc than go with the Surge SS or Rogue. Both have a similar flight path on the charts. About 2 years ago I switched from the Surge SS to the SL. They both fly very similar and it was a smooth transition. They were perfect disc for my forehand arm strength and snap.

Latest posts