• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latitude 64 Strive - The poor man's Rive

Snaques

Eagle Member
I've bagged couple of Rives for my flex forehand shots and OS backhand shots, but it's been too overstable to be my main driver. The Grace has been working well, but seeing Strive enter the picture I figured it could maybe give me a bit more distance than Grace but with a similar flight.

I currently bag one Grand Strive and one Kevin Kiefer Orbit Strive. They are definitely still a work in progress, but show a lot of promise. While the Strive seems to share the same rim width as Grace, it does fly faster. If I hit it right, it goes a bit further but at least mine are a touch more overstable than the Graces. I throw 400' semi-consistently and can only get the slightest of turns from the Strive, so I'm eager to beat them in and learn it a bit better. It does seem to be way more nose angle sensitive than Grace, so my consistency with it is not great.

The Grand Strive has struggled in the wind while not turning too much when it's not windy, so I think it will make room for the Grace unless it really clicks in the coming weeks.

I've read how the Strive has been too flippy for some 400-450 throwers and really struggle to see that. Just today I threw a very low line 400' laser beam with the Orbit one and barely got any turn so I'm curious if people have found differences between colors, weights or grand/orbit.

I've bagged couple of Rives for my flex forehand shots and OS backhand shots, but it's been too overstable to be my main driver. The Grace has been working well, but seeing Strive enter the picture I figured it could maybe give me a bit more distance than Grace but with a similar flight.

I currently bag one Grand Strive and one Kevin Kiefer Orbit Strive. They are definitely still a work in progress, but show a lot of promise. While the Strive seems to share the same rim width as Grace, it does fly faster. If I hit it right, it goes a bit further but at least mine are a touch more overstable than the Graces. I throw 400' semi-consistently and can only get the slightest of turns from the Strive, so I'm eager to beat them in and learn it a bit better. It does seem to be way more nose angle sensitive than Grace, so my consistency with it is not great.

The Grand Strive has struggled in the wind while not turning too much when it's not windy, so I think it will make room for the Grace unless it really clicks in the coming weeks.

I've read how the Strive has been too flippy for some 400-450 throwers and really struggle to see that. Just today I threw a very low line 400' laser beam with the Orbit one and barely got any turn so I'm curious if people have found differences between colors, weights or grand/orbit.
I've got a blue regular Strive and yeah it's definitely flippy for me and I figured it would be that seasoned Rive or reliable perfect Shryke, but nope. I can't get a full rip without it trying to turn into a cut roller, though I haven't thrown it recently, so I'll revisit it in the morning, but I don't expect much difference than I had before. I was hoping for a faster Grace and I got a flippier Grace that I can't throw nearly as far. Are the Orbit ones more overstable?

I've got a blue regular Strive and yeah it's definitely flippy for me and I figured it would be that seasoned Rive or reliable perfect Shryke, but nope. I can't get a full rip without it trying to turn into a cut roller, though I haven't thrown it recently, so I'll revisit it in the morning, but I don't expect much difference than I had before. I was hoping for a faster Grace and I got a flippier Grace that I can't throw nearly as far. Are the Orbit ones more overstable?
I've got two regulars and two orbits. The orbits are both a bit more domey while the regulars are rather flat. This might be the reason that the orbits for me are consistently straight, with that tiny touch of turn and solid fade at 400'. Meanwhile the regulars can fly the same, but in a wind they can suddenly be very flippy or when at all nose up be very stable.

So I do think the orbits are just a touch more OS, but the difference is nowhere near the difference I saw with Rives. While I like the feel of a flat driver, they have usually been less consistent the flatter they get.

I've got two regulars and two orbits. The orbits are both a bit more domey while the regulars are rather flat. This might be the reason that the orbits for me are consistently straight, with that tiny touch of turn and solid fade at 400'. Meanwhile the regulars can fly the same, but in a wind they can suddenly be very flippy or when at all nose up be very stable.

So I do think the orbits are just a touch more OS, but the difference is nowhere near the difference I saw with Rives. While I like the feel of a flat driver, they have usually been less consistent the flatter they get.
Yeah dome makes an immense difference on drivers in this stability range, especially with Shrykes and Terns. Mine is definitely on the flatter side and that explains that now that I think about it. I couldn't throw today unfortunately but I definitely will be tomorrow.

I've never really gotten into the Rive. It seems to fly slower and shorter than the numbers indicate. To me it feels like a star Destroyer with perhaps a tad less glide and more (and earlier) fade.

Rive for me is 12, 4, -0.5, 3.

Have not tried a Strive yet.

I'm enjoying the strive. It really does fly a long way, holds the turn forever. But it's definitely touchy. Lots of fun, but not a disc I'm going to reach for often in competition.

Mine doesn't really flip up much if i start it on a decent hyzer, and doesn't get great distance. But if i start it flatter so that it's turning early, it stays on that turn angle forever. The longest throws are the ones where i think I've turned and burned it, but actually it gets such huge glide that it goes for miles on that angle and has plenty of time to flex back and get the full flight before it meets the ground.

Fun, and probably my longest disc right now, but of debatable value for actual golf.

I have to say that I'm starting to like the Orbit Strive. It is in my bag for the max golf line distance where it turns a bit, but has reliable finish. Put it on an anny and it holds nicely before flattening out. I do have to say that it gets finnicky in the wind.

The regular Strives are a complete different story. They are just plain unpredictable for me and I had to drop them out. Very nose angle sensitive, not too much glide and the power difference between where it turns or just dumps is just so small, that it's really hard to trust the disc to do what you expect it to.