• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sup Er'body

ShoopDaGoose

Hey everyone, I'm originally from Rockford, IL. I grew to love disc golf in Wisconsin where I went to college for 2 years. I loved the courses in Wisconsin (I actually met and bought a disc from THEDISCGOLFGUY at one of them! Anyways, I also continued to play at the nice local courses in Rockford over the summers...there are now three 18-hole courses in one area!

Now, I am going to school in southern Illinois, and I really miss the courses up north. There is one course just off campus, and it is brutal. It was the worst disc golfing experience of my life. Due to: the heat and humidity (real feel is upwards of 109 degrees), the huge bugs flying around and hitting me as I was playing, all but maybe 3 baskets were hidden off the tee (very difficult layout), and the grass tee pads didn't help (spun myself into the ground once and learned my lesson :doh:), but primarily because it had the most punishing semi-rough and rough I've ever encountered (knee high grass just off the narrow mowed fairways and the thickest brush/thorns/trees with the occasional barely visible barbed wire!)...and I lost a disc...I spent a little less than an hour looking for it, but I left feeling fortunate I only left with scratches from thorn bushes and not bites from the scary looking spiders I saw or getting snagged by some barbed wire...

Will I go back? That is a good question. With a new set of shoes (or cleats), I think I may have to. I said right after I got back that I wouldn't ever go back, but the next closest course is 50 minutes away...and I need me some disc golf! But maybe with a determined and positive outlook, this course could make me the player I strive to be...smart (shot placements), resilient (accepting mistakes), and able to develop technical shots.

But anyways, I look forward to being apart of this online community, and hopefully I'll be more involved in real life events as well in the future.

Hey everyone, I'm originally from Rockford, IL. I grew to love disc golf in Wisconsin where I went to college for 2 years. I loved the courses in Wisconsin (I actually met and bought a disc from THEDISCGOLFGUY at one of them! Anyways, I also continued to play at the nice local courses in Rockford over the summers...there are now three 18-hole courses in one area!

Now, I am going to school in southern Illinois, and I really miss the courses up north. There is one course just off campus, and it is brutal. It was the worst disc golfing experience of my life. Due to: the heat and humidity (real feel is upwards of 109 degrees), the huge bugs flying around and hitting me as I was playing, all but maybe 3 baskets were hidden off the tee (very difficult layout), and the grass tee pads didn't help (spun myself into the ground once and learned my lesson :doh:), but primarily because it had the most punishing semi-rough and rough I've ever encountered (knee high grass just off the narrow mowed fairways and the thickest brush/thorns/trees with the occasional barely visible barbed wire!)...and I lost a disc...I spent a little less than an hour looking for it, but I left feeling fortunate I only left with scratches from thorn bushes and not bites from the scary looking spiders I saw or getting snagged by some barbed wire...

Will I go back? That is a good question. With a new set of shoes (or cleats), I think I may have to. I said right after I got back that I wouldn't ever go back, but the next closest course is 50 minutes away...and I need me some disc golf! But maybe with a determined and positive outlook, this course could make me the player I strive to be...smart (shot placements), resilient (accepting mistakes), and able to develop technical shots.

But anyways, I look forward to being apart of this online community, and hopefully I'll be more involved in real life events as well in the future.

Right on man. :cool: :thmbup:

Good prep/equipment can really make those sort of rounds more enjoyable. Bug spray and hats can help mitigate flies, mosquitoes, et al. Good shoes, tall protective socks, and gaiters (when needed) can really save your legs from thorns. Plenty of water, and possibly a disc stool (the one thing listed that I don't carry), can really make a huge difference on super hot and humid days.

It sounds like your head's in the right place. Get back out there and you might come to really enjoy the thicker woods; naturey things happen more often, courses of this type typically get less traffic in general, they help your mental game, hone your trouble shot recovery skills, help teach course management, and often have good scoring separation where errant shots are punished while good shots are rewarded.

Have fun out there! :)

Out of curiosity, what course is it?

There is hope.

You have a couple of courses on-campus, right? And, SIU sends a team to the College Nationals. They must know how to get their disc golf fix. Join that team.

Maybe the golf course would let you guys go fix up the disc course. Or, play on the golf course itself all winter.

There is hope.

You have a couple of courses on-campus, right? And, SIU sends a team to the College Nationals. They must know how to get their disc golf fix. Join that team.

Maybe the golf course would let you guys go fix up the disc course. Or, play on the golf course itself all winter.

I actually just found out about, and joined, the club and league at SIU last week! I somehow couldn't find this club a couple years ago (which makes me sad) Happy to be around some other disc golfers, though. I also hope I can make it onto that team they send to Nationals, but I got some work to do. And about Hickory Ridge, just from looking at the club's disc golf facebook page, I think the president of the club and/or officers have put in quite a bit of work creating that course, so I might volunteer to make it better.