• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Super Soft Wizard and SSS Wizard

ominae

I just got a SSS Wizard in the mail today and it seems to be firmer than my yellow SS Wizard. What gives? I went to Gateway's site and didn't even see the SSS Wizard mentioned at all. Did they change the discs or the plastics?

I first bought a SS wizard, and then I bought a SSS wizard to see the difference a few months later and I swear my SS is even more flippy soft than the SSS is. It is wierd, I know what you mean, its not just you.

Gateway has a lot of different runs of plastics and firmness is all over the place.

Your SSS may beat in quickly and become more floppy, and your SS may already be more floppy from having been beat in.

\/\/

The s vs ss vs sss has more to do with the surface texture than it does with how floppy the putter is I believe. That said, my SSS wizards beat in and got floppier much more quickly than the S or SS I tried.

I have some new SSS Wizards that are more firm also. Knowing how my SS Wizards broke in I am going towithhold judgement until I beat these up for a while. I would suggest using the SSS for a few months and see how it ages.

Yeah, Gateway is always changing their plastics. However, I think that the Wizards and other putters are usually the same, the wizard is such an awesome putter, why mess it up by trying other plastics. But the SS and SSS will feel about the same off the shelf, but they will become softer at different speeds. If you take that SSS and bend it back and forth or throw it on the ground a few dozen times, it will start to break in and be softer.