• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TeeBoxx: Good? Bad? Or?????

sumo21

Eagle Member
When the idea came out of a vending machine spitting out discs, I thought way cool. But the more I do think, there are definitely some downside to it.

I like to throw max weight with every disc I throw, except my understable Roadrunner used for longer turnover shots and rollers. So the problems that I can foresee would be color, weight or both. Maybe plastic if all the same model are put I designated spot.

What do you guys/gals think??? :thmbup: :thmbdown: :|

have yet to ever see one in the wild so have no idea. concept is fine for rec courses but not players who care about disc specifics like us nerds often can on this site.

have yet to ever see one in the wild so have no idea. concept is fine for rec courses but not players who care about disc specifics like us nerds often can on this site.

I totally agree Aim. I'm thinking the idea was to appease those courses or courses where a pro shop was not site or nearby. The other thought was to provide, in pinch, a disc for someone whose disc for lost or took a dive in the water.

There is a teeboxx by me in a very busy course. With a well known pro shop 1 mile away it still manages to sell out every 2 weeks. Here is why the teeboxx has better prices and better disc. I will start taking pictures of some of the disc that are always up front in this modern marvel. Prices are good with mvp topping the price list at 19 dollars. Eventhough i contacted teeboxx with no reply, i still think they are a good company.

Lol...I thought the OP was talking purely hypothetical...so they actually exist? With the spirals and the letter/number combinations? That sounds awesome. Especially if row D is all prodigy drivers.

There is no way that a TeeBoxx could be considered a bad thing. If you're a discerning disc golfer with very specific tastes in disc (brand, weight, color), it's not for you and never will be for you. That doesn't make it bad.

It's the equivalent of a coffee machine in the office break room. If you want a convenient and easy cup of coffee, it's there. But if you must have a vanilla cappuccino latte venti grande espresso skinny mocha coffee, you have to go to DunkStarDonutBucks down the street.

I said it in the other thread, and I'll say it here: I'd love to see these at courses I play. Better a TeeBoxx than nothing at all, which is what every course I've played has. Now in fairness, there is a brick and mortar store in my home town, and most courses I travel too have a shop with some sort of selection nearby if you can find a local to ask, but who can beat the convenience of being able to pick up a disc right at the first tee (or wherever the machine is located).

Not all innovations are good, but all innovation is good, if that makes any sense. The fact that a group of seemingly intelligent people see money to be made in disc golf should make the "grow the game" crowd very happy.

There is no way that a TeeBoxx could be considered a bad thing. If you're a discerning disc golfer with very specific tastes in disc (brand, weight, color), it's not for you and never will be for you. That doesn't make it bad.

It's the equivalent of a coffee machine in the office break room. If you want a convenient and easy cup of coffee, it's there. But if you must have a vanilla cappuccino latte venti grande espresso skinny mocha coffee, you have to go to DunkStarDonutBucks down the street.

Yep, this.

I'd likely never use it, but i could see a few courses where it would be both a good thing and a moneymaker.

My only concern with these is if they were to harm small local retailers. I'm not saying it automatically would, just that I'd hate to see the little guy harmed by these. We have a great seller here in New Orleans that I know makes a good chunk of their change selling to chuckers who would at least partly shell out to a TeeBoxx indiscriminately were one available. That'd be unfortunate, in my view.

Just a devil's advocate thought.

Exactly. Some local SP courses sell discs. A handful of molds, limited colors & weights. Even Sloterpark in Amsterdam does this. A putter, maybe 2. A couple mids... The parks here have their discs stamped so it's a nice moments if not replacement. In this scenario I could see a vending machine working out.

My only concern with these is if they were to harm small local retailers. I'm not saying it automatically would, just that I'd hate to see the little guy harmed by these. We have a great seller here in New Orleans that I know makes a good chunk of their change selling to chuckers who would at least partly shell out to a TeeBoxx indiscriminately were one available. That'd be unfortunate, in my view.

Just a devil's advocate thought.

Somebody has to stock the machine. In my dream world I drive around the country and stock machines, but we're not there yet. For now a local has to keep it full.

This marked the first time that arkansas was not the last to get something new. We are still working on equal rights and decent wages, but hey we got a teeboxx

I have heard that the next TeeBoxx design is going to be more like an old school ukebox... where you can choose weight and such.

I saw my first Teeboxx at Burns Park last month, the plastic in there was decent for sure! I think its cool to offer it that's for sure, ran into a guy on the course that was throwing a champ leopard he got from there and said he loves it, so good job i guess even though most likely i will never use one.

As for tbe teeboxx hurting local retailers, the one in burns parks is selling way more disc than the retailer 1 mile away. Teeboxx has a good variety and good prices. While the retailer has there disc marked up to 20+ dollars. They are killing themselves with high mark up. If teeboxx can sell disc for a fair price, good for them.

I think it would be a good cheap thrill to buy a disc out of a machine.

Somebody has to stock the machine. In my dream world I drive around the country and stock machines, but we're not there yet. For now a local has to keep it full.

As for tbe teeboxx hurting local retailers, the one in burns parks is selling way more disc than the retailer 1 mile away. Teeboxx has a good variety and good prices. While the retailer has there disc marked up to 20+ dollars. They are killing themselves with high mark up. If teeboxx can sell disc for a fair price, good for them.

Who is stocking that teeboxx?

IMO the way I envision this working well is the a local retailer with their main store....and then teeboxxes setup at a few local courses (those that get the most chucker traffic).

In this case it should actually help the local retailer (although perhaps at the expense of multiple retailers in that region).