• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The first DG BluRay disc is available and free videos

JR

* Ace Member *
Tali Open 2009 is available for download at lcgm8.blogspot.com Please read the instructions carefully because you need a writeable BluRay drive and a blank BluRay disc and 40 gigabytes of free hard drive space. A double DVD is also available. The videos are in PAL format so they can be viewed on computers and some NTSC systems. Please refer to your owners manuals of the TV/video projector and BluRay or DVD players. You need a media player to your computer like VLC or Media Player Classic. The files are packed so you need to uncompress them with WinRar. You also need a burning software to burn to a disc.

We have many free videos available too and we will add more as time permits. We give a part of the sales to the organizers for making the next events better.

Bought them all...they are all awesome!!! If you've seen them on youtube, now's your chance to pop them in your DVD player!

The BluRay version has a totally different feel to it it feels much more like you are there because it looks so much closer to actually being there. You can see the discs much better in the air flying behind trees. The resolution in DVDs just doesn't cut it in every case.

Here is the original post that contained some more information:

Hi all. The wait is finally over so here we go: lcgm8.blogspot.com Those links lead to http://www.payloadz.com where the files are. Some are free some are cheap. The ones that you can purchase can be bought via Paypal. Part of the sales will go to the Tali Open organizers.

Please make sure that your computer has enough free hard drive space to store the videos on. They are large. They are rar packed so you need to open it with a compatible program such as WinRar. The output is another large file so you really do need to have a lot of room. Over double of the download. The output is an ISO image file of a DVD that can be viewed directly with VLC or other video player that can play ISO files. Or the ISO file can be burned to a DVD disc with a burning software such as Nero.

When we get newer videos of different events up for sale the sales will help those events. Part of the price goes to Paypal and Payloadz. We talked of giving 50 Euro cents per sold video to Tali Open organization. I've spent about 4000 USD of my money to equipment and getting to the competitions to film instead of competing in 2009 and 2010 and lcgm8 and mafa have had a lot of costs as well. I can't tell exactly how many hours i've spent on Tali Open but it's closer to 200 than 100. Juha has literally spent over a thousand hours. I hope you see that these videos are done to promote the sport. We aren't getting rich by doing this i think. We probably won't break even with sales of later competitions either. This is done for everyone not for ourselves. I hope you can entice a lot of new players to the sport by showing them these videos

We encourage other videographers to give back to the sport to support the organizers and hopefully adding to the pot so that the players get a bigger paycheck. This is a nice way to support the sport and everybody wins. It will promote frisbee spirit by supporting the organizers showing them that they are doing a good job and we appreciate their job. And if we can make their job easier we will. Because you get to see the videos you'll get to enjoy while helping. How cool is that?

Tali was our first joint project and we've learned a lot so the later events and especially those from 2010 are going to improve in many ways. We have better cameras now and have learned a lot. We hope you like what you see. Lcgm8 is progressing with 720 resolution BD version of Tali Open but we can't promise a release date yet.

Yours sincerely also on behalf of lcgm8 (Juha) and mafa (Matti)

Janne Räsänen

PS Tell everyone of this and help the sport thank you.

I'm planning on buying some soon. The problem is that I'm a computer idiot, and I have some nervousness about doing this. Honestly, have you considered having someone in North America (Marshall Street/Prime/ GGGT) burn some discs for sale in the online stores? Maybe it's not feasible - just asking.

Great job

Back after holidays. We'll have to make inquiries about that. Our cameras are in the European/some other places PAL television format. So they wouldn't work on many TV sets or BluRay players. I'll have to ask lcgm8 if something can be done about that if there is willingness to buy these for sale. Stay tuned for additional information.

Just purchased the BluRay bits and working on downloading them now. I can't wait! I've been having some issues with the downloads so far though; had em fail 3 times already.

jaboc83 said:
Just purchased the BluRay bits and working on downloading them now. I can't wait! I've been having some issues with the downloads so far though; had em fail 3 times already.

If you get errors five times/part, mail me and i'll send you free download link. And if there's still problems i'll send you hard copy (free of course) if you give me your address. I better increase download options.
My internet connection sucks too. It took me approx 14 hours/part to upload BD version. I also did it couple of times, cause i couldn't approve any resume function.

I hope Payloadz will improve their performance near future.

I think I got them all last night finally. I'll have to see if they decompress without any corruption problems. [crossing fingers]

Came out great! The footage is fantastic, and the only thing I would change is to add a bit more commentary on the English audio, and more camera angles on Day 1 & 2 would have been sweet. It was nice seeing it in the final round from both ends of the hole. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Thanks and glad you liked it. We kept the commentary sparse in the earlier rounds on purpose because nobody we know of had attempted to show a competition shot by shot for every round and it became a long video. That is why we didn't want to risk boring the audience to tears with hours of our droning. That's why we concentrated most of the commentary effort for the final. We also need feedback to find out what people on average prefer and since this is our first release we just had to guess how to go about things. So thank you very much for your feedback. What did you think of the extras?

We had more cameras on hand in the final so the multi angles were in the cards later. One limiting factor was the lesser image quality of my then camera. That's why i concentrated more on high speed filming and we used as much footage from Juha for best possible image quality in real time footage. Everything from 2010 was filmed in Full HD at the time of Tali Open 2009 my camera only had HD ready resolution. That has only half the amount of pixels of full HD. The Canon i use now has better image quality from many other factors as well. Tali was our first project together and we have learned a lot since and have better cameras and editing results for later projects. They will look much better. Don't let the Youtube handicapped encoding fool you into not believing that we've had massive improvements in the other projects we've released. Because we certainly have. At the moment Youtube is a far cry from what i saw on Juha's new monitor and computer. Whew that is some pretty stuff.

Look for us because we will release more better than Youtube videos this year as hard copies and probably for digital downloading as well. And we are filming some more events this year.

Hi, JR. Hope all is well. What Canon do you have? As I researched what's out there in the HD realm, I found the XH A1s to be the best option. (XH A1 would be great as well, but I like the A1s's capacity to input a mic at the same time audio is being captured through the native mic, perfect for real-time commentary.) I've used a GL2 for years, and the A1 cameras seem to pretty much fall in line with that, having the nice 20x optical zoom which I think is critical for shooting DG.

Take care, stay warm.

Joe

JR said:
... What did you think of the extras?
I didn't spend much time in them. They were neat, but I'm not sure that they added much value for me. I really like the extras that you find in the MSDGC videos [Top Drives, Top Putts, Bloopers] and it would be really cool if you could get some interviews or other non-golfing footage of the players. I have no idea if any of that stuff is reasonable, but that's something I would find very cool in an Bonus Feature section.

JR said:
...Look for us because we will release more better than Youtube videos this year as hard copies and probably for digital downloading as well. And we are filming some more events this year.

I very much look forward to it. I love the way you followed a single group shot for shot. That's the most frustrating thing I found watching other videos is that they skip over a whole lot of shots and jump between cards which can be confusing if you don't know the players really well.

I have a consumer level Legria HF200 and Juha uses semi pro level HG20. HF200 has slightly better zoom IIRC at 15x to IIRC 12x of the HG20. I need to create something similar to what Juha is using for a hand held grips to further steady my filming because the way we film i need to use much more zoom than Juha does. I've used 15x zoom with hand held camera on many holes in 2010. Hand held camera is a must for getting the best filming places and staying in shape to film the event. I don't breathe during putting and when i use high levels of zoom if i can hold my breath long enough. That's harsh. That's why i want to get a more stable support system like Juha uses. Two camera angles filming needs less zooming than going solo. I've found 15x to be more useful in some occasions than 12x. Players play at their own pace so there's little time to set up monopods or even worse tripods. We've done both and there are many situations where the camera would have to be disengaged from the support. And without the portable support system my hands aren't steady enough. And there's rarely time to switch support systems let alone be in place at the optimum spot ready to film. Especially if you adjust the camera by hand for exposure time and white levels and zoom in and out during one throw panning the camera in three dimensions. The whole of Finnish Open 2010 was like that for me save for a very few shots. Talk about being overworked. I was fearing all the time that i would ruin the shots. The sun went in and out all the time and we had many shots where the optimum spot for covering the flight had the sun in front. Not to mention filming from light area to dark and vice versa. Nightmare.

jaboc83 said:
JR said:
... What did you think of the extras?
I didn't spend much time in them. They were neat, but I'm not sure that they added much value for me. I really like the extras that you find in the MSDGC videos [Top Drives, Top Putts, Bloopers] and it would be really cool if you could get some interviews or other non-golfing footage of the players. I have no idea if any of that stuff is reasonable, but that's something I would find very cool in an Bonus Feature section.

JR said:
...Look for us because we will release more better than Youtube videos this year as hard copies and probably for digital downloading as well. And we are filming some more events this year.

I very much look forward to it. I love the way you followed a single group shot for shot. That's the most frustrating thing I found watching other videos is that they skip over a whole lot of shots and jump between cards which can be confusing if you don't know the players really well.

Have you watched Avery Jenkins filmed by two slow motion cameras simultaneously from two angles? For learning throwing form and comparing to yourself. The other players from single angles are great contrast for comparison. You can learn a lot by watching top players. We have done quick interviews of some players and they should be included in future releases. We wanted to let more people know more players. Especially European players getting better recognized all over the world. Americans are better known all around. So far we haven't done any in depth interviews except one that is half way there. Check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVVC-C_BM2M

On the channel lcgm8 at Youtube we have two shorter segments of Finnish players being interviewed during Finnish Open 2010. There are many more shorter introductory interviews from The Scandinavian Open 2010 that are as of yet unreleased. Then there's this goody:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSlPi_LxNYk

So rest assured we have talked to many players in front of cameras and interviews are coming up.

Yeah, I've studied lots of the slow motion drives before when working on my own form. It was definitely cool being able to compare the different techniques.

Love that interview! I'd like to see tons more of those, it makes it more fun to watch them play when you know a little more about their personality. What I'd really love to see is a final round with an audio track narrated by the players on the card. Obviously, this would be a huge undertaking and the if the players would do it they probably wouldn't even remember half of what they were thinking by the time you were ready to record the audio, but that would be awesome as a spectator to hear what they were thinking when they make certain decisions. I would love to hear Avery respond to hitting the barrier the second time on the Day two footage. :)

The Clash series and some USDGC vids have commentary by players or other players who know their competitors well. I don't know what the Finnish Open 2010 commentary will include but i'm not the commentator on that. The same goes for the Scandinavian Open 2010 Swedish and English narration. Still it may not be as much about what the players thought. Although the commentators know their stuff. I haven't heard what has been recorded so i absolutely no idea about the content of the narration.

Hi, JR -

I found a listing of some community access TV stations in Finland, and am wondering if you guys in the Mafia have looked into what you might be able to take advantage of locally, broadcast-wise. Here's the link:

http://www.communitymedia.se/cat/links.htm#finland

I didn't see an English translation, but it might be possible for you guys to submit some of your work for broadcast. Check it out if you get a chance.

Take care,

Joe

They are very local stations and at least one of them is shown in my home town and the neighboring towns that have about a fifth of the population of Finland covered. So we'll have to see what we can see :)

Latest posts