• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The "rip point"

FDG4Ever

So I'm starting to realize how to use my hips to get much more power out of my drives but when i'm ripping it the disc seems to come out from my ring and middle finger instead of pointer finger as it should. This causes more griplocks and makes it harder to control. I've been experimenting with different thumb placements also. Is there something I could try instead of different grips?

So I'm starting to realize how to use my hips to get much more power out of my drives but when i'm ripping it the disc seems to come out from my ring and middle finger instead of pointer finger as it should. This causes more griplocks and makes it harder to control. I've been experimenting with different thumb placements also. Is there something I could try instead of different grips?

I've noticed this with my RHBH too, but I thought that was normal. Supposed to be the first finger, huh? I'll be interested to see how this thread progresses.

Yes, normally when throwing with a standard power grip, your index finger will be the last one ripping off the rim. Are you guys using a power grip when this happens? Is so, I could see a lack of pressure from your thumb allowing this to happen.

Yes im using the powergrip and I press down with my thumb sort of like Steve Rico does. Not like Feldberg teaches. Also I guess my thumb should be right on top of my pointer finger or slightly past it??(I have freakin long fingers:))

I'm the same way. I could palm a regulation sized basketball in 6th grade. But I'm only 5'10". Freakishly large hands. Lmao. I was once told to try this when it comes to a power grip. When holding a disc, if you remove your middle, ring, and pinkie fingers and the pressure between your index and thumb is still the same, then your thumb pressure is good. If by removing those fingers and you have to apply MORE thumb pressure to not drop the disc, then there is a significant lack of pressure to begin with. I hope that makes sense, because it does in my head anyway. Lol.

Ok, I read this thread when it was first posted because I was having similar problems, and I finally just solved it for myself, and it was completely unintentional!

Just doing some RHBH driving field practice and purely by accident I held the disc very loosely with just my thumb and pointer finger, and was basically doing a very loose and light version of the forehand hammer drill. After doing that a few times I just wrapped the rest of my fingers around the disc as it snapped back into my palm, then proceeded with my drive.

Instant snap+distance, and I really felt the disc rip out of my hand for the first time in what feels like months!

Amazed, I repeated this a few more times with the same results. What I think I've determined in that in addition to loosening up my wrist and grip is that this changed the position of my thumb placement, moving it a bit closer to the edge of the rim than where I had been placing it.

Before I had been carefully following the instructions we see in all the instructional videos for the pros, carefully wrapping my hand around the disc in the power grip. This usually left my thumb about 50/50 over the spot where the flight plate meets the inner edge of the rim.

With this new method, I'm actually a bit closer to 70/30, with the 70% of the thumb pad being over the wing of the disc, and only 25-30% being over the flight plate.

My fingers also feel more natural on the bottom of the disc just falling into place instead of being consciously wrapped around like I had been doing.

Not sure if this would work for anyone else, but for me it was an instant game changer.

Off to play a couple of rounds, if there is any interest I could do a short video later that shows what I'm doing.

I recently read the now closed "Ask Paul McBeth" thread. Post #426 says
PMcBeth said:
Snap from your fingers can cause drag, my last release finger is my middle one.
I think just practice can solve your release problem. Repition mostly.

Wierd cuz I felt my disc ripping off of my middle finger last week during practice. I guess it works for the index and the middle one also?

I have the same problem with respect to the rip point being my middle finger. I am slowly transitioning to a stacked grip, so far it has given me much needed increases in control and distance with putter drives :)

Just couple weeks ago I was throwing putters at my backyard and tried different styles to get the release point right to get more consistent. Definitely got it right and now I'm having good consistency with 200feet and in, and also can throw putters pretty nicely to almost 300". When I have to throw harder with drivers I use the powergrip but I lose the snap, and way too many griplocks happen. It sort of feels like that the disc rips out of my middle and pointer finger at the same time instead of whipping out of the pointer like in shorter shots. Some help???

My problem was just that my reach back was too much behind my body.:clap: Got cleaner release and more power right away:thmbup::thmbup: