• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The River

Ryan C

Eagle Member
So, seeing as how they are available to buy a bunch of places now, I've been surprised to see no one give them their own topic. For those that have them, how do they fly? Is it a keeper?

Still testing the opto and the GL....Favoring the GL as it is a tad more overstable. I was throwing them against my strikers and I was having beter shot placement with the strikers.....definitely still in test mode. Want to put more time into trying to work big annies w them...I have been flipping them up or throwing them flat for the most part so far...Its so hot down here in the delta that your energy is zapped in about 20 minutes!

I'm waiting for discspeed to get back from vacation and test them so I can get a few throws in without having to buy one myself. :lol:

mine should arrive on thursday.

Gah, I work on thursday...

I should be able to test them out on friday.

I've written elsewhere that they really do fit in between the Striker and the Vision......In terms of just throwing them flat, letting them turn and finally come back they are fine. I was getting some bombs with them but I want a disc that is going to be controllable in tunnels and in the open. I like the fact that you don't have to put quite as much pepper on them..they are similar to the fuse in that sense

Okay, more specifically, how fast are they? How stable? Is the rim comfortable? Any other discs you'd compare it to?

JimW said:
I'm waiting for discspeed to get back from vacation and test them so I can get a few throws in without having to buy one myself. :lol:

I'll be back around 7/9 or 7/10...Too long a vacation if you ask me, but families like babies. I look forward to trying the River. I really want to hear more about how it flies on anhyzers and turnovers and how it compares to a Stalker.

discspeed said:
Jeronimo said:
Best control fairway driver I've ever thrown 10 times.

fixed.

Obviously I understand your point in this comment Mike but the thing is, this isn't a totally new, ground breaking disc. It's (in my opinion) a substitute for the Leopard or the JLS, it's just a latitude option for that range of disc selection. I suppose I shouldn't say its the "best" control driver I've ever thrown because everything it can do I can also do with my CE JLS's (which I also ADORE), but it's in Opto/Gold plastic! So it feels great in the hand too!

Of the 40-50 shots I made with it yesterday evening, a new Opto River seriously flew like a new CE JLS. I'd give the River an edge in glide but the flight path is very similar. I'm going to use it tonight for my Random Dubz league on the course that made me want this disc in the first place. 350' alley's and tunnels, through the trees, where I need to stay in the fairway at the end of the flight to have a putt. I'm psyched about this disc, I really don't care if no one else likes them because I'm going to buy at least a dozen more and sit on them. I'd be happy to see this thing get a lot of love though so that Latitude reaps the fruits of their labor.

I have reached/birdied 4 holes I have not reached before with the River. The glide is redonkulous.

169 Opto River:

I really like this disc. It powers down well. Thrown to about 200' it is very straight and fades for the last 20%. Thrown with more power on a flat shot it S's. Thrown from hyzer it flips flat nicely, about like a beat Star TL of the same weight. Typical under stable disc... but

The crazy cool thing about this disc is the glide(really? you don't say!).I've never seen a driver "hover" like this disc does. Thrown with the same power it went the same D my Beast did - 350'. But, it took 5 or so more seconds to get there. With a good tail wind this disc could go a mile. I haven't thrown it hard yet. I've been admiring the glide. 375' should be attainable without a lot of fuss.

The plastic is MONEY. In 90 degree weather it is GUMMY and sticky. I LOVE the feel. In flight it throws off flashes of light like a prism. I have a blueish clear opto.

The Flight In a Nutshell.

Decent speed(equal to a TL). As it slows it cruises like a kite.

Yea, I've got puppy love for this thing, but my PD still crushes it. :lol:

It sounds great and I look forward to trying it but to me "redonkulous glide" sounds a lot like "overlaps with PD distance". There's a distinct distance range where I throw a Gazelle between the Buzzz/Fuse and PD and the River sounds like it might not really fit there naturally. Hard to imagine it knocking out my PD armada.

jim I doubt it will knock out ur pds. It sounds nice though,more like a glidey stalker. .i wanna try it because I love the fuse and I'm always up for trying new shit but I like my stalker too much :| . We'll see. I might break down n try one.

got my river today. great glide, flies like a jls + 20' will replace the jls I tacoed the other day.

A friend got one for his girlfriend it is the best womens starter driver i have seen.

money 21 said:
got my river today. great glide, flies like a jls + 20' will replace the jls I tacoed the other day.

A friend got one for his girlfriend it is the best womens starter driver i have seen.

I'd say its almost a little too stable for that, I usually start the ladies on a Vision. The glide is obscene though, just truly amazing.