• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Savant

banzai7

Double Eagle Member
There's not a lot of information out there about this new disc, but when did that ever stop us from speculating?

Here's what we know:

The Savant mold was approved around the same time as the Thunderbird and the CD2 sometime in 2014. So there has been somewhat of a delay in release, even though it is intended for CFR.

According to Dave D., "The Savant is a speed nine Viking like driver, but is an exceptional power roller. We should be able to run a limited amount later in 2015."

Now for pure speculation:

Since it was approved around the same time as the CD2, it's possible both molds are variants of one another. Does anyone know if the CD2 has the Discmania "Anhyzer" top? If so, then the Savant could easily be the same wing with a different top.

Originally, my money was on 9, 5, -1, 3 ratings, based on the Viking mold. Those flight numbers are hugely popular in virtually every speed (Wraith, Destroyer, Boss), and very close to the CD2's numbers of 9, 5, -1, 2.

I'm somewhat curious as to the description of it being an "exceptional power roller". Roller discs tend to be more understable, so maybe it is more like 9, 5, -2, 1. What makes a disc a "power roller"? And with the Sidewinder (9, 5, -3, 1) and Roadrunner (9, 5, -4, 1), do we really need another speed 9 roller disc?

Last edited:
I'm somewhat curious as to the description of it being an "exceptional power roller". Roller discs tend to be more understable, so maybe it is more like 9, 5, -2, 1. What makes a disc a "power roller"? And with the Sidewinder (9, 5, -3, 1) and Roadrunner (9, 5, -4, 1), do we really need another speed 9 roller disc?

I throw a lot of backhand rollers and typically use either my most overstable disc (O-Lace), or at least a disc that is fairly overstable (DGA Rogue). The only time I roll understable is if I am trying to get it to die quickly or get around a corner to the right.

I throw a lot of backhand rollers and typically use either my most overstable disc (O-Lace), or at least a disc that is fairly overstable (DGA Rogue). The only time I roll understable is if I am trying to get it to die quickly or get around a corner to the right.

I think that there are multiple valid ways to roll a disc.

For me, I want to throw a very flippy disc flat and high and have it flip and roll about 200' out. For me if I am throwing a stable disc it means I have to throw it super anny to start and I can't make it hit dirt much past 100'.

My idea of a "power roller" is a well seasoned sidewinder.

I'm assuming "power roller" means its more stable then a traditional roller. I roll stable teebirds and destroyers all the time, you gotta throw the crap out of them on a pretty extreme angle

hmmm curious to hear more .. i LOVE throwing Rollers and love the Viking mold.. one of those discs that i just never understood why more people didnt throw them.. a very underrated, predictable and fun to throw mold .. hell i wish i still had some of my 160's

I usually roll my sidewinder, been working with a mongoose too. Last time I was out, I had an errant throw with my Viking, rolled much better than I expected.

Savant syndrome is a condition in which a person with a mental disability, such as an autism spectrum disorder, demonstrates profound and prodigious capacities or abilities far in excess of what would be considered normal in a particular field.

Way to go, Innova. I thought mental disabilities were Discmania's gimmick?

Last edited:
If a disc is marketed as being spectacular for one obscure talent (rolling) but bad at everything else savant is an apt name.

To me a power roller has the turn but is still really stable at the end of its flight...in this case keeping it straight stable while it rolls. Paul McBeth endorsed the Krait, and was seen throwing huge rollers with them, with accuracy. Innova probably hoped to see bigger Krait sales. . So in my mind, this disc will be a slower Krait; i.e. a Krait for slower arms. Once again this is purely speculation, and for a disc named the Savant, this thread is very appropriate.