• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Three Points of View, Slow Motion, and needing a lot of Help!

Trevdor

I need help! ;) I've played off and on over several years and have tried to improve my form numerous times. Watched a lot of the videos, read a lot of the posts, recorded myself throwing, but it seems like there is still a piece that I must be missing.

Some of my symptoms:
- I started by practicing with putters like most recommend and I can often get nice straight shots, I'm just not getting much power at all. 250-280 is my max.
- When I try to use mids and drivers they all pretty much go the same distance, my max on a good day will be close to 300. From what I've read this may be a sign of rounding? I've practiced driving my elbow forward, but maybe I'm not extending it as far as I should be? From the video it doesn't look like I am. I try to reach out, rather than straight back as well.
- I've tried the Beato drill before without much luck, any other drills you would recommend?
- I also tend to get a lot of shoulder pain, maybe a sign that I'm just strong arming my shots? Or it could be I just never warm up like I should.

Here's the video, I have three throws shown, Normal speed followed by slow motion.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

https://youtu.be/8CiEQaYfpys

Nice video! You are missing the transition move, or completion of the backswing and your shoulder/upper arm collapses behind your body. Need to keep turning/swinging back while shifting forward off rear leg into the plant and widen the shoulder/upper arm to the top of the backswing/plant. Wider shoulder/upper arm keeps the elbow forward relative to shoulder, so basically only the lower arm swings the disc in and away from center, instead of trying to pull or work the elbow/disc laterally across the chest.

Note how when you plant your legs are kind of doing the splits and flat footed and turned out from each other. Got to shift forward off the rear foot before you plant front heel. Your rear foot should start moving forward before your arm/disc - door frame drills.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I've seen some of those videos before, but watching them with fresh eyes now. I'm looking forward to trying that swivel chair drill at work tomorrow. ;)

A couple of questions... so when you say my upper arm is collapsing behind my body, do you mean this? Should the angle instead by 90 degrees?

img_3795.jpg

I totally see what you mean about my rear foot being facing the wrong way. When you say that my rear foot should start moving forward before the disc does, do you mean that I'm pushing off of it or that it is actually coming off the ground?

I totally see what you mean about my rear foot being facing the wrong way. When you say that my rear foot should start moving forward before the disc does, do you mean that I'm pushing off of it or that it is actually coming off the ground?
I don't have much issue with your rear foot angle, but you aren't getting off your rear foot before you plant front heel.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133319

Wow! A lot to work on, that is super helpful though. A lot of good info in that thread that I hadn't seen before. Thanks again!