• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Threw for first time

MarkTew

So I finally managed to get out to the local school fields and throw discs for the first time ever. I have a Valkyrie, Buzzz. A couple of leopards, a shark, a Saint, a fuse, and two destroyers which as foretold by all of you were hard to control period.

After figuring out my grip was all wrong to start with, I finally started to see better results, but it took a while.

By far the most distance I got was with the Leopards. Consistently they flew better and flexed back as I hoped they would. Of course I was disappointed with the distance I was throwing but I hope that gets better with practice.

I managed to get the leopards about 170 feet With some direction control by the end of the session.

Is this normal for a first time throwing? I'm an older Pretty big guy who wants to try something knew for fun and exercise.

completely normal.

Don't worry too much about distance. Focus on form and smooth consistent flight. Distance can be forced and forcing it leads to bad form and limits your growth. Good form/technique leads to maximizing useful distance when you actually play DG.

Listen to what he said. This is what every experienced player will tell you... and what we wish we did in hindsight.

The sooner you gravitate towards distance drivers expecting them to improve your distance, the more likely you are to do tweak your technique to get better results from them... which will only jack your form up in the long run.

Then you'll spend months (if not years) unlearning the crap you taught yourself on order to get those distance drivers a whopping 5 - 10 ft farther than you thought you were able to throw mids.

Unless you are playing super long bomber courses, throwing 170 is enough to have a chance at a lot of pars and some birdies here and there and have lots of fun.

...and the short game you will develop will be something that benefits you when you are throwing twice that distance.

Listen to what he said. This is what every experienced player will tell you... and what we wish we did in hindsight.

The sooner you gravitate towards distance drivers expecting them to improve your distance, the more likely you are to do tweak your technique to get better results from them... which will only jack your form up in the long run.

Then you'll spend months (if not years) unlearning the crap you taught yourself on order to get those distance drivers a whopping 5 - 10 ft farther than you thought you were able to throw mids.

This and the previous post! I'm 60 years old, picked up the sport Jan 2019. Got the advice to start with a midrange and putter (I wish someone had told me to get a starter pack). Got used discs that were really overstable (learned this later), but they looked and felt good.

Started throwing, wanted more distance like everyone else was getting....instead of improving my form to get more distance, I got a fairway driver. I have understable midranges and stable putters now....but, I wish I had started with them.

Now my form still isn't great, I only throw my 9 speed Innova Sidewinder ~225. My midrange I get to around 150. If I had 'listened' to everyone more experienced to me, I would have worked on my form with the putter and midrange; then maybe I would be getting ~150ish with my putter.

I'm trying to start over and use just a midrange and putter....but it's tough to go backwards since I'm losing distance. I have to convince myself that losing distance now will improve my game/distance/accuracy later.

So I finally managed to get out to the local school fields and throw discs for the first time ever. I have a Valkyrie, Buzzz. A couple of leopards, a shark, a Saint, a fuse, and two destroyers which as foretold by all of you were hard to control period.

After figuring out my grip was all wrong to start with, I finally started to see better results, but it took a while.

By far the most distance I got was with the Leopards. Consistently they flew better and flexed back as I hoped they would. Of course I was disappointed with the distance I was throwing but I hope that gets better with practice.

I managed to get the leopards about 170 feet With some direction control by the end of the session.

Is this normal for a first time throwing? I'm an older Pretty big guy who wants to try something knew for fun and exercise.

Some friends and I go play a round. The 3 adults go and shank their drives off into the woods or too low or too high and hit a branch. Then one guys 10 yr old daughter throws this nice smooth 100fter perfectly straight down the fairway outdriving the rest of us.

Smooth is far.

Just a quick real life story emphasizing the good info the above posters are giving.