• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing from a standstill

Der Alte

I have been playing disc golf about 2.5 years (winters off) and from the beginning I have been throwing from a standstill. Reason for this is that I tried to play disc golf at winter and I stretched my ankle and knee a few times when I used an x-step.

What are the biggest problems at my strong armed stand still throws? Discs are (max weight) Champion Eagle-X, Star Eagle-X, DD Fusion Trespass, 3 x DD Lucid Trespasses and a Z Nuke. I'm trying to throw (as always) a flat, straight drives and the distances are between 340-360'. If I could add 50-70' to my drives I would be really happy. I know that I should incorporate X-step to gain more accuracy and distance. And speaking truthfully I should probably disc down a little bit (to Valkyrie, Volt, Teebird/Eagle-X or even to Leopard) and learn a proper throwing technique. Anyway I hope that someone of you can give my some good pointers how to improve my current throw without x-step.

Thanks in advance!

Throwing from a standstill

Last edited:
Loosen the shoulder and let it drop/hinge. You can get in more athletic stance, feet a little wider and knees bent weight centered to move quickly in any direction. You need to keep your spine/weight braced on the inside of the front foot/leg, your weight gets to the outside and behind your heel. Your rear heel also spins out around back, the heel should move targetward ahead of the toes/instep.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88599

Not related to your form but I love the way y'all's trees look.

I was thinking the exact same thing! :D

Thanks a lot. Yes, I have to admit that Finnish nature is awesome during the summertime. On the other hand I like those forest disc golf courses that are in the USA. At least those look awesome in the Youtube :)

Loosen the shoulder and let it drop/hinge. You can get in more athletic stance, feet a little wider and knees bent weight centered to move quickly in any direction. You need to keep your spine/weight braced on the inside of the front foot/leg, your weight gets to the outside and behind your heel. Your rear heel also spins out around back, the heel should move targetward ahead of the toes/instep.

Thank you, Sir! These are excellent tips and observations. I haven't realized that my weight isn't behind the throw. There is also a lot of tension and that may be a reason for jamming shoulders. Those videos are also excellent and those are full of little information that I have to digest and incorporate to my throw.

And here is (once more) the video embedded to this post:

Talk to RUSSELL on the forums about driving from a stand still. It's all he does and he's pretty good with it.

i think i watched the trees even when you were throwing.

man those trees are awesome bet wooded play is fun around those.

Latest posts