• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

throwing higher

frennis524

Par Member
Can somebody explain how to throw higher with nose down on something other than a hyzer flip where it rises or anhyzer?

aim at an apex 100' and another one at around 300'.

aim to throw to that 300' apex.

the one at 100' is the one where you should be throwing through to get to the second one.

thats a rough draft on the distance

do whatever as long as there is two

so when i aim....i am lining myself toward the target on the ground, but aiming at a space in the air?

actually you know what I really have no idea.....

thats the only advice i was given on it and it really doesn't work for me but it seems to do just fine for others.

to tell you the truth i don't get the whole apex thing what the hell is an apex?

somebody please enlighten me?

I can't envision something if its not there. i try to envision some THING in the air and thats when i miss all of my putts. because i can't hit anything thats invisible or whatever it may be.

i just regurgitate everything blake has taught me i havent really created anything new for myself i'm to chicken shit to do so.

two apexes are in the air...one apex you throw through, one to get to, and some spot on the ground...i gave up on trying to learn it its just way too much. its really not that simple.

I will take a stab.

In a high distance hyzer flip, with say a Sidewinder, you would aim for a peak height (apex) at some distance where you can still get the disc to flip. The disc should flip through the apex, or as it starts down from its peak height.

For example, can you take a SW and throw it 80 feet in the air and get it to peak and turn over to 30 degrees of nose down at 250'? If you can, it will go 500' or more with no wind. As the disc basically acts like any other projectile.

Basically, the trick it to figure out how high and how far away you can get the disc to flip.

BTW, anhysers apex sooner and higher.

we need a suggested height chart for various disc to reach max distance, say 40 feet for a teebird?

i can't throw higher than 60'

i cant even keep the nose down long enough to flip it at that height

i tried to flip a crappy cyclone at 80' and i couldnt flip it over

the shots where i went over 600' were only 50' off the ground with no wind. thats the highest i can usually get them but thats like 1/15 throws.

otherwise they stall before flipping over

Beato is talking about hyzer flips. There is no way he could throw a teebird anny and have it S out. He'd need a lot beefier of a disc for that.

frennis524 said:
Can somebody explain how to throw higher with nose down on something other than a hyzer flip where it rises or anhyzer?

I think that when you're throwing, you're throwing either hyzer or anhyzer. Based off that, you'd find the disc that you can flip at X height and that's what you'd throw. As was said, you'd just find a point in the sky where you figure you'd have to flip the disc for it to make your target and then you'd aim for it. Same with putting - you find the highest point (apex) where you think you disc would have to reach before it could reach the basket from it's descent.

I believe that the bigger arms are just hyzer flipping with less hyzer the more overstable discs.

I've never understood how to throw high and far with the nose down. It's something that has never clicked. My farthest throws are with Rogues that are hyzer flipped and get out to the 350-375 range on flat gound. The peak height is usually around 30 feet in the air. I think if I tried to aim at an immaginary target (I am a visual person if I can't see it I can't do it) in the air I would throw nose up every time. Although I can throw an anhyzer and flex it out much higher it just doesn;t go as far. Generally if I am throwing for accuracy I throw a line drive slight hyzer so it flattens a bit and tracks straight at about maybee 12 feet off the gound.

I too have always had a very hard time getting my disc high with the nose down...it's just a concept I have a hard time grasping physically. Also, I've never been good at judging how high my normal throws are off the ground, so even if I could get one way up there, I wouldn't be able to tell you how high it was. Most of my drives in the ~375' range are fairly low to the ground, so if I had to guess I'd say maybe 15'-20' high???

I can throw something overstable (Firebird) high and with a lot of anhyzer and get a good bit of distance off it...maybe 400-415' tops...but I still can't figure this type of throw out with my usual distance driver (Orc / Starfire).

I'm hoping this topic is something I can get some help/clarification on at Blake's clinic this weekend.

TeamTollandDG said:
I've never understood how to throw high and far with the nose down. It's something that has never clicked. My farthest throws are with Rogues that are hyzer flipped and get out to the 350-375 range on flat gound. The peak height is usually around 30 feet in the air. I think if I tried to aim at an immaginary target (I am a visual person if I can't see it I can't do it) in the air I would throw nose up every time. Although I can throw an anhyzer and flex it out much higher it just doesn;t go as far. Generally if I am throwing for accuracy I throw a line drive slight hyzer so it flattens a bit and tracks straight at about maybee 12 feet off the gound.
Part of that is the disc. Faster discs are much more difficult to throw high and nose down than slower discs. Most of them perorm the best thrown low unless you're a monster throwing a distance line.

I think the catch with turning a disc nose down from up high is that you're basically turning it over on an anni, and when you do that the disc veers to the right (rhbh). The compensation for this is basically what you see in distance videos when they throw high and left. I've once seen a guy throwing 550 on demand, and he was basically throwing the disc like 100 feet left, then it would turn over and move about 150 feet to the right before fading around 550. The disc was 20-30 feet off the ground. His compensation for turnover was basically in how far left he threw it. He wouldn't have to throw so far left if he put more height/hyzer on it I would think but it comes down to what you're comfortable with really.

If you're turning a disc over too much you can change your throw a few different ways to compensate: put more hyzer on it, throw it farther left, or throw it higher.

I've seen this done several times on a course as a clever way to go around the side of a tree- cluttered fairway, and the results can be impressive. The throw was indeed nose down (but not more than usual) and upward into the air at about a 30 degree angle or so (aim high) while being released with a flat angle or slightly anhyzer. The disc turns on its ascent until it begins to stall out at its highest point but since the disc turned over some it will not fade out but instead begins to float/glide forward and slightly downward in the turn direction instead of the fade direction.

I've tried this myself a bunch of times, and it only clicked once, though I got a very long flight out of the disc when I did it. Most of the times I try this shot I end up releasing at a lower angle than what I was aiming for, and the disc flies a much lower and smoother anhyzer path. The key is to get the disc up there with good snap and have it turn to just the right anhyzer angle at the point where it would otherwise stall out in its flight. Too much anhyzer and it comes down as a sort of big arching anhyzer roller shot (but the disc can't stand up and roll a long ways). Too little anhyzer and the disc will truly stall out and either fade or float straight down from the apex of the flight to the ground.

Here's a suggestion for working on this kind of shot...

Somewhere on youtube there is a Discraft video with Mark Ellis where he shows how to throw a disc upward at about a 30 degree angle, have it stall out, and then come straight down to the ground without fading or turning. If you learn how to do this with your disc consistently, then getting the long turnover is just a matter of adding the right amount of anhyzer angle to the throw. Whether you add anhyzer either by turning in flight or at release doesn't matter, only the anhyzer angle of the disc at the point where it would stall out really matters, but that's where all the skill comes into play for this shot.

garublador said:
TeamTollandDG said:
Part of that is the disc. Faster discs are much more difficult to throw high and nose down than slower discs. Most of them perorm the best thrown low unless you're a monster throwing a distance line.
I get what you are saying. It's also easier to control the nose angle with a slower disc. I guess I just don't get why I would want to throw something that high for a golf shot.

TeamTollandDG said:
I get what you are saying. It's also easier to control the nose angle with a slower disc. I guess I just don't get why I would want to throw something that high for a golf shot.
It's not that the height itself is always and advantage, it's that height is required to get slower discs out farther and when you do that you get better control and a larger margin for error, especally when it comes to range. The difference between a 15' and a 20' nose down flight with a Rogue might be a 50' distance difference, but that same height difference with a Teebird might only be a 20' distance difference. When you factor in how much easier slower discs are to control when it comes to the line they take the oppertunity to hit the right line and distance to get a birdie becomes much easier with the slower discs. A lot of times it can be the difference between a 40' putt and a 20' putt which is huge.

JHern said:
Somewhere on youtube there is a Discraft video with Mark Ellis where he shows how to throw a disc upward at about a 30 degree angle, have it stall out, and then come straight down to the ground without fading or turning. If you learn how to do this with your disc consistently, then getting the long turnover is just a matter of adding the right amount of anhyzer angle to the throw.

I just saw this video.. thought i might add it to the thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwqQ21pe4U (He throws an "Elevator" shot at around 3:35)

Anytime I try to throw an anhyzer high, I just try to make sure the disc holds the anhyser angle through the peak of the flight and as it starts to come down. At this point I know the nose is considered down; not positive about the rest of it. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing to keep the nose down, but thats what I think about when I'm trying to get an anhyzer high. Obviously the higher you aim, the more angle you'll have to get on the disc. I've got a couple of well seasoned champ orcs that work great for these types of shots.

Latest posts