• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

training for DG?

nunez23

Par Member
So I was curious if anyone does any sort of training (strength training, or specific exercises) to advance their game. I recently started a medicine ball routine that aims to strengthen your core and improve cardio. I figure that'll help my distance a bit since you're supposed to throw with your core more than your arm. I was also thinking about maybe doing something to strengthen my forearms and wrists ( one of those gyro ball things?)
I know perfect form trumps brute strength but I imagine at least some of the pros work on their body as much as their form.

I have a small grip trainer that was made for rock climbers to help strengthen forearms and fingers, and I put it in my car. Now whenever I'm in the car by myself, I use it. I've definitely noticed a difference in my grip strength, and it seems to have made a difference in my distance too.

Grip strength is an excellent thing to develop - as it will help you with both distance and control.
Three are many devices that can help w/this, from the gyro ball, to the chinese jingle balls, to the wrist curl machine, to the........ you name it. Pick one you like - they're all good. :)

I've started doing some strength training again and figured since DG is the only sport I play now I might as well target the muscles I use for it.

I use kettlebells to do all kinds of lifts, presses, and swings. Since the weight is off center from the handle I theorize that trying to focus on keeping the ball steady provides extra work for my wrists over barbells. I also use a resistance band and grip it as close as possible to how I grip a disc and do slow controlled wrist extensions.
I've starting to work on balance too incorporating one of those big inflatable exercise balls when ever I can.
I'm still shaping out a routine and I haven't been doing it long but so far so good. Its not making me worse :)

In general strength and resistance training should help.
Core strength definitely helps, as I just learned I need more of it after straining my internal oblique muscle on a forehand drive.
Hand strength/grip also helps a good bit.
Everything starts with the feet, so stronger legs helps.
Cardio helps on long tourneys, so you don't fatigue as bad.

Since there is a gym in my office about 90ft from my room with all new top of the line equipment I have been hitting about 2 to 3 days a week for about 90 minutes each session.
Stretch
1 mile run/jog
shoulder press
back extensions
Ab Machine
Row Machine
Leg Press
Leg extensions
I rotate through all the machines until I do 3 sets of 12 reps and after 3 sets thats when I just work on the Abs and Back.
I do a 1 mile jog/run to cool down and then stretch

I use a Power Ball daily sitting at work, or watching TV.
I have resistance bands that I used to use but not as much anymore.
I try to stretch as much as possible. Watch TV on the floor and stretch.
I have found that flexibility is the post important thing.

I don't do any disc golf specific exercises, just crunches, pushups and a bit of running every night. I find I play better in general when I just do the basics.

I've been wanting to start getting in better shape, but I am hesitant to go through the soreness phase because I'm afraid it's going to affect my disc golf game. :)

I have a tournament this weekend and then none for a while, so maybe I'll start Monday.

I don't do any training, i just stay active: Softball, golf, basketball, cycling. I think my job helps as well.

"I've been wanting to start getting in better shape, but I am hesitant to go through the soreness phase because I'm afraid it's going to affect my disc golf game."

Light resistance training seems to help. To me its worth the effort. FWIW, here's what I currently do: bench press, pull downs, rows and butterflies for upper body. Ham curls, quad extensions and calf raises for legs. Leg lifts and broomstick twists for core (good warm up as well) Cardio: 20-30 min on recumbant bike 3 times a week. I sometimes feel that I get plenty of cardio from disc golfing, especially if playing multiple rounds in a day--I'll skip the bike if this is the case. The strength training can affect your technique a little at first but you will gradually learn to accomodate it. I would think that lifting too heavy could really have a profound negative impact on form as well as increase the likelihood of soreness.

I also religiously stretch before and after a round. There are many opinions that both support and refute the value of doing this. I think that it is a personal thing and obviously find it very beneficial.

Be smart: start light with low wight/resistance/reps for strength exercises and don't do more than 10-20 min. of low impact cardio initially. Give your body a chance to acclimate to the regimen and you should not experience too much suffering. Gradual increases should come only after you feel like your initial routine is too easy.

Good luck and whatever approach you take, take it easy at first.

I've been wanting to start getting in better shape, but I am hesitant to go through the soreness phase because I'm afraid it's going to affect my disc golf game. :)

I have a tournament this weekend and then none for a while, so maybe I'll start Monday.

That soreness comes from small tears in the muscle fibers. You can eliminate some of that by easing into a program. But for overall health your core is the place to start. It is the center of everything we do from standing at work to playing DG. From there you can work on a lot of strength in the lower body by doing balance work such standing on one leg then moving to a pillow pad it able too. If you are shy of a gym. Walking/running is great, sit ups and crunches, push ups, pull ups, and Lunges with your own body weight ( still a favoreite of mine when training). Almost all of these can be done either in the home or at a local playground/park.

I just started riding bike for 20min, doing some arm strength stuff and some back and core excercises (more to relieve myself of fatassity than training for DG).

I think that just the repitition of playing disc golf builds what muscles need to be built to play. I mean I really do not think that strength plays as big of a role as say, practicing form as I know people who are younger and not as strong as I am, who can outdrive me with a putter...take David Wiggins as an example, a 14 year old kid who can outdrive grown men

take David Wiggins as an example, a 14 year old kid who can outdrive grown men
And not just some grown men, nearly all grown men...that have ever existed.

Anything that will help with general fitness, flexibilty and endurance will benefit any disc golfer that isn't in great shape. Strength will help a little, just because it will make moving that much easier but that will be gained if you improve those other things.

So I was curious if anyone does any sort of training (strength training, or specific exercises) to advance their game. I recently started a medicine ball routine that aims to strengthen your core and improve cardio. I figure that'll help my distance a bit since you're supposed to throw with your core more than your arm. I was also thinking about maybe doing something to strengthen my forearms and wrists ( one of those gyro ball things?)
I know perfect form trumps brute strength but I imagine at least some of the pros work on their body as much as their form.

I would recommend this proven program to enhance your strength: (always warm up with high reps)

Monday: Chest: Bench press (3 x 8)
Incline Bench press (3 x 8)

Biceps: ez bar curl (3 x 8)
Dumbell curl ( 3 x 8)
hammer curl ( 3 x 8)
concentration curl (3 x 8)

Tuesday: Back: Barbell pullover (3 x 8)
Barbell rows (3 x 8)
Lat pull down, wide grip (3 x 8)
Lat pull down, inside grip (3 x 8)
Deadlift (3 x 8)

Wednesday: off (run two miles)

Thursday: shoulders and triceps
triceps: close grip bench press (3 x 8)
Overhead French dumbell curls (3 x8)
Overhead dumbell curls (3 x 8)
Rope press downs (3 x 8)

Shoulders: Barbell shrug (3 x 8)
Upright row (3 x 8)
Arnold press (3 x 8)

Friday: off
Saturday and Sunday : disc golf

This workout will improve your strength and flexibility overall. It will allow you to play with more power and less pain.

`cjc

Last edited:
Sounds good, though I would definitely recommend stretching afterward, it will help keep the muscle you build lean and flexible, and less injury prone.

I've been thinking about writing a column for Flying Disc Magazine about conditioning and non-pharmeceutical remedies for the inevitable aches and pains while playing disc golf...I'm a Naturopthic Doctor, N.D.--the natural and biological equivalent to an M.D.

I have wondered if disc golfers would be interested in natural ways to prepare better and deal with muscle soreness, etc...I'd like to hear what other disc golfers think...

Last edited: