• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Uncle B's Bag

UncleBrother2001

aka Starfirebird/Uncle Matt
This is the bag I'm going to be running with this year. Some things will be subject to change,but I will be making this thread like my own personal Journal/Diary so to say. It will be easier for me to keep up with things this way.

*Edit* this is the newest form of the bag.Due to my banged up leg, this is what I have to use now that works with my injury.

Distance Drivers
167 Innova G-Star Tern
167 Innova Star Tern

Control/Fairway Drivers
170 Innova G-Star Beast
170 Innova Pro Beast
168 Discmania C-Line PD
168 Discmania P-PD
168 Discraft Z Stalker

Midranges
170 Dynamic Discs Lucid Truth
170 Discraft ESP Comet
175 Dynamic Discs Lucid Suspect

Putters
175 Dynamic Discs Classic Blend Judge(x2)
175 Dynamic Discs Lucid Judge
175 Gateway Eraser Wizard
175 Gateway Soft Magic

Uses of bag.

Distance Drivers
Innova Tern - G-Star for straight shots with fade and Star for turnovers,rollers and s-shots. Tailwinds

Distance/Control Drivers
Innova Beast - G-Star for s-shots and straight shots and Pro for turnovers and rollers. Tailwind Driver
Discmania C-Line PD - Utilities,pretty overstable,headwind driver
Discmania P-Line PD - My main PD Driver,Love this plastic.Mains use if stable drives that need fade. Great in a headwind.
Discraft Z Stalker - My control fairway driver now. If I need to just stay in the fairway this is what I go for.

Midranges
Dynamic Discs Lucid Truth - My Favorite Midrange of all time. This is coming from a Comet/Roc fan for years. Does surprising Well in a Headwind and Tailwind. Loves to be forehanded and it is so easy to Control.
Discraft ESP Comet - Main Midrange now. I use it for many shots. I can put it anywhere it needs to go with great control.
Dynamic Discs Lucid Suspect - Utility Midrange. Great for forehands and overstable drives.

Putters
Dynamic Discs Classic Blend Judge(x2) - Main putters,approach shots and some drives
Dynamic Discs Lucid Judge - Used for Drives. Works good in all wind conditions.
Gateway Eraser Wizard - Windy Day Putter. Uses are also for those putts that need to hyzer around a tree or those lofty forehand approaches in a tight spot.
Gateway Soft Magic - This is my mini comet. Main Putting Driver at the moment. does what my comet can do but is shorter in distance.

This is an older uses of the bag(Just keeping it here as a note to myself for later)

On to uses of the bag.

Throwing in the PD's again to compare to my more worn Predators. Gonna go side by side with them for most of the spring and maybe all summer,just to get a good feel of both them.

Predator(worn and fresh),worn and fresh Predator and Fury are my main control drivers and they range from Overstable,Stable to Neutral. My worn in Predator can handle a good wind and finish strong left and powers down easily. The worn Predator and Fury are great for open shots but excel when thrown in the woods. Just easy to control. The Fresh Predator just excels at doing what it does best,going far and being overstable. Best headwind driver I've ever used. *Edit* At the moment My PD's are going to be taking the Predators spot again for this role and possible my P-PD will take out my Fury.

Just Added all My Cyclones back to the bag. I really feel this will workout pretty well. They all range from Stable to Understable. Goin old school with the Cyclones. Yeah Cyclones are kicking it and kicking it good. Been making some great drives with these babies.

The Roc3 will be new to the bag and I expect it to be able to handle winds and be very stable and always finish left. I have high hopes set for this disc. Also I put back in my KC Pro Roc for Low ceiling drives. Seems to work good for me.

I've been off and on with Comets for years now. I would always throw Rocs back in and take Comets out.I also mess with a Fuse and even though they go farther deep down I like Comets better. So this year I'm gonna stick with my Comets as my main do everything Midrange,but Rocs will be there to help. I use a Z(Stable) a ESP(Neutral) and Elite X(Understable). Comets are the bees knees of Midranges.

XXX is my main Utility. It just excels at dogleg lefts and about every other Utility shot out there. My Predator works well for utlities,but if it's on the extreme side of things I'm using my XXX. I also just added my beat to crap Cyclone that will do very well in this department too.

Zone has been a staple in my bag since it first came out. Got a Pro D and then immediately got a ESP when I found out about it. Very good for Hyzer Drives,Forehands and just lots of utility uses. Put Pro D in bag again for those putts where you need to hook it around a tree.I think it will work well. Zone is a keeper

Wizards are my main putter and have been for years,but i'm going with a small change. Going to try something different this year. Going to start trying a Judge out for putting only duties.It may work I dunno couldn't hurt to try since i have trouble with some longer putts sometimes.Back to Wizards. My old beat in RFF will have the job for turnovers. My really beat in Eraser and others will be for straight drives. The Evolution is just beefy and good for drives that finish with fade. Now I have tried this before but didn't give enough time and went back to some other putters for driving duties. This time I'm gonna stick with it all spring/summer.

This is pretty much what I got going right now. If you guys see any type of holes or weakness in the bag let me know. I'm always up for good civilized discussion about disc golf. :D

Edit: 5/9/2014 - I'm probably going to erase this post soon. This older bag while I liked how it worked I've moved on to some things that are working pretty good for me. I'm really liking my 6 mold bag I got kickin. Once I get my Classic Truths I'll be set.

I completely forgot I have an old worn in Elite Z Predator. Who needs a Saint when you have a worn in Predator :mrgreen:

Have you ever wanted a straighter distance disc than the Tern? If so may i suggest a Beast in any other plastic than DX.

JR said:
Have you ever wanted a straighter distance disc than the Tern? If so may i suggest a Beast in any other plastic than DX.

I have thought about going back to Beasts. I have an older 175 Champion Beast That still throws great to be so old. I use to have a Star that was perfectly broke in and I gave it away. The guy really wanted to try it so I thought he would like one already broken in

The Terns are hit and miss somedays. I'm really feeling it on some days and then on others my Beasts would have went farther.

Like today I was throwing my Predators just as far as my Terns. Shoot I even outdrove one of my Terns with my Fury. Maybe I should take the high speed stuff out for a while and just stick with Predators,Furys,Stalkers and my Underworld. You know I think I'm gonna go with that and see what happens.

Making a slight change to the bag.

Taking Terns out for a bit and throwing in my Stalkers. Still thinking on the Beast

What you described is a good explanation of required power for a disc to make it work right. Because the Ternneeds a rip it is good when you are warmed up and have a good day. Come second round blues and it may be too much of a disc. The Beast and especially the Fury have so much lower power requirement that you can get good distance out of them even when your arm is falling off and still not having them dump fade early.

And that is why I will be running with what I got now. I mean sure when you are on the high speed drivers make you feel good getting that crazy distance,but I'm getting to the point I would rather have consistency than anything else. So I'm going to go with what works best for me.

Still trying to think if the Stalker and Fury overlaps any. The Stalker is sneaky far and both of my fury are the same.but vary slightly in distance and flight pattern.Still on the fence on the two. If I take one out it will be the Stalker. The Fury is one of my most used discs next to my Rocs/Comets/Wizards

I could go back with oldie but goody. lol I still have my Cyclone's I use to use. I still have fresh ESP and some older Elite X that are beat in quite a bit.

I could cut out 3 discs in my bag if I went that route.(Stalker,Underworld,Diamond) lol My Cyclone's range from Overstable,Just really straight and holy cow that is flippy.

Going down in speed has got me thinking about my bag a lot.

I am however going to try the Classic Blend Judge. I have been wanting to try these out for quite some time. I think they could possibly help me out on longer putts. Just from what I've read that is. i'm really good 25ft and in with the Wizards,but when it gets further out I feel like I'm putting more effort than needs be into the putt and it cause an early realease or it just dive bombs from a hyzer into the dirt. I'm puttin in an order today for those Judges more than likely.

I'll still use my wizards for driving purposes. Nothing will replace my Wizards for driving as I refigured out how these things throw in just a couple of rounds. I've been making holes that were 50/50 for me to 100 now lol. It's just easy throwing those short tight gap holes with a Wizard.

Ok I just got back from doing some field work with my Stalkers,Fury,Underworld and Cyclones.

First off the Stalkers vs. Fury's. As I figured there is a slight overlap between the two. Stalkers is very straight with small fade when thrown flat with very little turn movement,the Fury has just a tad more turn movement,but I feel it is easier to work around that. Stalkers are sneaky long and was just short of both of my Fury's by about 10 feet,but I really had to rip on the Stalkers where I could just be nice and smooth with the Fury. If I really ripped on the Fury's I could outdrive the Stalkers with ease. So Fury powers down well with similar flight to Stalker so the Verdict is going to be the Fury.

Next to the ESP Cyclone vs Stalkers. Ok right off the bat the Stalker is longer than the Cyclone,but The cyclone has this feel of a Midrange when it throws like a true Fairway. Stalker is a little straighter than the Cyclone,but the Cyclone has much more flexibility. Full power I was pushing at least 340ft with it(Cyclone) and i felt more in control. If i tried to power down the Stalker to get it to Cyclone distance the Stalker would suffer,because I would either release it too early or griplock it,which was weird. Verdict is Cyclone.

Next up the Pro D Cyclone and both my Elite X Cyclones vs the Underworld. Ok same as above the Underworld is much farther than than all the Cyclones. Underworld is good for going straight and is really good for those turnovers. The thing is the Pro D does exceptionally well for going straight(it's barely worn). Both the Elite X's were good for turnovers. The one that was worn but not as crazy as the other was good for easily controlled turnovers or those shots that require very small turn at the end. The holy cow this thing is beat half to death cyclone will be my roller and my utlity for getting out of the crap when i have little room and a pretty far backhand. Oh and really nutz dogleg rights too. yup you guessed it Verdict is Cyclone.

Plus i really like the feel of the Cyclone since my Rocs and Comets feel just like it.I believe the distance it achieves will be a good in between go to driver for when I don't need a Predator or Fury or a Midrange. We'll see how it goes on the course. :D

You might be surprised how well the Judge drives. I prefer beadless and less fading discs so after using the Judge for driving i switched to the Warden. I used to drive and putt with the Wizards for years. The Fury powers down better than taking a full rip. It needs a lot of height to get to 400' and while the Beast needs decent height as well it is not as extreme. There are faster winds when going up and the Beast handles more winds. Or at least compared to my single Fury. I do not know how they are stability wise in general and how many wary how much in which direction. Lat has variation in the discs which can be good and bad.

for windier days and lower ceilings a Beast acting as the big brother of the Fury is a fine complement because they are otherwise so similar role and usage wise. Fury+ so to say.

JR said:
You might be surprised how well the Judge drives. I prefer beadless and less fading discs so after using the Judge for driving i switched to the Warden. I used to drive and putt with the Wizards for years. The Fury powers down better than taking a full rip. It needs a lot of height to get to 400' and while the Beast needs decent height as well it is not as extreme. There are faster winds when going up and the Beast handles more winds. Or at least compared to my single Fury. I do not know how they are stability wise in general and how many wary how much in which direction. Lat has variation in the discs which can be good and bad.

for windier days and lower ceilings a Beast acting as the big brother of the Fury is a fine complement because they are otherwise so similar role and usage wise. Fury+ so to say.

I like how my Wizards when ripped on a flat release kind of stand up a bit and just stay straight and float to the ground. They are so easy to hit gaps with a big rip. Are judges like that too?

I use to throw Valkyries for the longest time so when I heard the Fury was a Valkyrie on Steroids I just had to check it out. I really love these two discs. The 175 is more stable,but the 167 is my bread and butter for killer controlled turnovers. both great in the woods for me and for the open when the wind isn't screaming at my face.

Man you have gotten me really wanting to throw my Beasts in the bag again,but I have been having some good success out of my Predators(Worn Z and Semi new Z). Both are domey so they have great glide and have that forward fade with sneaky long distance that a PD has. I tried PD's too,but I could hit lines better with my Predators.

I'm reading up on Predators in one of the Predator threads. Is it true that the ESP is the one to get to get some better distance? I know to look for ones with a bit of dome, I read that pretty much all flat Predators were meathooks and I don't really want that since it is my main Stable Driver now.

I've also been reading up on the ESP Cyclone thread. You wouldn't by chance know if there is a just a thread for Cyclone Lovers and not just the ESP Cyclone. I have 4 Cyclones but I'm kind of curious if I need to look for more domey ones or flat ones. I forget which one is best on these. The one I have now(ESP) has a slight dome and is plenty stable. All my other ones are pretty domey.

Hey man I appreciate the responses you are giving me. I noticed this place is a ghost town. I wish more people would post here. I like it here better.

Pretty solid setup. Have you considered a lid like disc for utility shots and other weirdness? Something like a Sonic, Rattler, or Polecat. Great in the woods if you are underneath something or have your full range of motion inhibited. Not so great in the open field against the wind, but manageable if you have the touch.

keltik said:
Pretty solid setup. Have you considered a lid like disc for utility shots and other weirdness? Something like a Sonic, Rattler, or Polecat. Great in the woods if you are underneath something or have your full range of motion inhibited. Not so great in the open field against the wind, but manageable if you have the touch.

Never tried anything like a lid type disc before. Which one would be a good one to try?

Before It got a hole in the center of it I used a very old 10x KC Pro Aviar for those types of shots. Man I miss that disc. :(

Discraft Rattler is a great lid it does not blow by far despite being basket high most of the flight. I mean way more height in the end of the flight than regular putters. It has nice breaks in not going too far.

I have not thrown flat Preds so i don't know but no matter how beat they glide way less and are much sloer than Beasts so their distance potential should be less. Z Preds are not that long because of the hefty fade and ESP might break in straighter quicker but during that time it is not that long. Frankly i am astonished that somebody thinks of the Preds as distance drivers unless you only throw distance with an anhyzer release. The Fury and Valk you love are way longer discs.

I have had zero luck with Cyclones and it is not from a lack of buying them or trying them. I have an ace on a TP supadupa flippy one that was new. I have a semi domey ESP that is a meathook and a short one at that.

To me the Judge is a lot less fussy about clean release and shaped easier for my small hands with short fingers vs the Wizard. No flip for me with a pure release with the Judge but i get some turn out of Wizards unless it is a HPP with a clean release which is hard due to the shape. And Wizards vary with HPP that i have flipping way less being shorter and fading harder during drives. I prefer floatier less fading putters for laser and hybrid laserish mildly pitching putts so i would say that they are ok putters and very close to Wizards actually. I just prefer the less fading beadless thinner Warden more. Rhyno is shaped differently to the Judge. I have used each one of those putters as my main driving putter at one time or another. The Rhyno is the only disc i have that i have more than one ace with. Three on the same hole which is also the only hole where i have multiple aces.

Discraft Rattler does sound like a good disc. I know that Mark Ellis is a big believer in them.

On my Predators I can throw them on a flat release and the Worn in Z plastic has a turn before it comes back and is very glidey. The more newish one is like a kinda worn in S-PD goes straight for a long while and sneaks a little more distance in while fading. It doesn't have crazy dumpy fade either like a normal overstable driver has. I would compare it as a slower PD. I've thrown both and I get about the same distance(PD is 10ishft more)so I go with the Predator. I hit about 380ft average with my Predators. Still astonished? :p

I do sometimes think of going back to the PD,just because it varies in each plastic.It is a great disc and i still have mine. :D The only thing is where it varies in plastic it would probably kick my Fury out lol

My Fury is my go to Driver for uphills and when there is no wind a blowing. The extra glide works well for uphills and low line shots downhill. I can get them the same distance as my Predators and sometimes a little farther.

I've always liked Cyclones it's just all this new plastic always gets me tempted so I try something else out. Now that I know what speed drivers work for me(been throwing this high speed stuff for 4 years now,with still no consistency) I can now focus on what works for the speed range and distances to cover what I need.

Cyclones are a little different from other Fairways. They are as much a tweener disc as they are a Fairway. Feels like a mid but throws like a Fairway too. I've found once you get some wear in them they are just as good for you as your old trusty Rocs or Buzzz's. You can cover a lot of shots just with the Cyclone.I'm glad I've went back to them.

Those Judges maybe just what I need then. Some days I'm on fire with my Wizards and then somedays my putts just go straight in the dirt.(I have a Hyzer Drop Putt). That extra floatiness might be the ticket. Still not sure if I want to use them as a Driver though. My Wizards excel in driving,so I'm afraid to change that. I will however try them as an approach disc. Sounds like it's gonna be a good approach disc as well.

It's been cold and nasty out so I've just been putting downstairs everynow and then just to keep myself from being bored.

Been working on my normal putt which is a hyzer drop putt and the other day I was watching Nate Doss on youtube and found his putting style unique so I've been messing around with it. I still keep my stance the same though,I don't like messing with my stance.

Since the Judges I'm getting are comparable to flight as a beadless Aviar I've been putting with them downstairs instead of the Rhyno's(thank you to whoever pointed out a Judge aint nothing like a Ryhno for me). :D

The Nate Doss type of style is crazy how it works(well for me that is) I get a flat floaty slow motion flight throughout and when it hits chains it sticks. Instead of me having to put more onto it with my Hyzer style for 30ft and out this style still feels like I'm 20ft and in. Maybe this is a style that can work for me,since I have trouble being consistent with my hyzer putt.

Since I've disced down a bit I have been getting those 28ft to 40ft putts as my 2nd putt. I have more consistency on my Drives now,but my putting game has been good over the years,but not great.

Going to try out this style for a bit and see if it's for me. So far downstairs it's been working pretty good,but downstairs and the course is a whole different animal so we will see.

Oh yeah I ended up hitting my 19th ace the other day with a Wizard on an uphill heavily wooded 235ft hole. It was great. :D

Before i forget,just leaving myself a note, With the Nate Doss style of putting there is less stress/tension on the back of my forearm. Sometimes when i hit it just right I feel no stress at all almost like it is natural. Well you know what i mean.

I read somewhere that if you feel too much tension or stress in the back of your forearm area it takes away distance and consistency from your putts.Not sure how true this is,but I can tell a difference in my how my forearm feels on 30+ft putts.Other style there was lots of tension,this new one noticeably less tension,by a lot.

Just wanted to type this out before I forgot.

I have been preaching about loose muscles for a long time. A hyzred putt does not glide as much so to get the same distance and height to be able to make it into the basket needs more power. A Rhyno glides less than most putters so the damage is doubled. Flat or minimally anny putts go a lot farther without needing to jerk 100 % power from any body part that normally translates to more fatigue reducing performance later on the round or the next round. Not to mention consistency and accuracy.

I get to 350' at times with a new Z Pred with a moderate dome that is lower than X Preds. That is with a skip they land more like 330'. So obviously the hard fade eats up some distance. But 380' sounds great even with a low fade one considering the speed and glide of the Pred. I assume a Teebird would go a little farther than those broken in Preds of yours. I have tossed PDs (varies a lot in flight and distance) to 380' on a flat shot and 410' on a perfect s-curve in calm conditions. Beasts to 420' once in a blue moon and Nukes to 430' unless you count asphalt magnified skips then it would be 447' for my record. With that background you shopuld definitely be able to handle a Beast power generation wise and at least the milder warp speeders too. And get a lot more than 380' on drives flat and s-curved. Which leads me to believe you have a form issue limiting you from getting everything out of the fastere longer drivers. Mild nose up problems hurt the fast discs when you can get away with it with slower discs. It could be something else too but that is the most common problem i think.

All i ask is that you give the Judge and any other new disc you buy the full repertoire of shots. Actually eveything that you own too because that is the only way to really know those discs and it gives you the best chance of creating a working bag and the tools to handle all conditions and hole shapes and distances.

I do have one thing I failed to mention. The High Speed Drivers always seem to slip out of my hand due to how wide the wings are. It's just where my hands are smaller I don't feel comfortable with the grip and I do know I have nose up issues with the High Speed Drivers and I believe that is due to the limited amount of grip. I could be wrong though.

It's mainly the thinner rimmed High Speed Drivers. I have always thought that since you have to use so much arm speed you need something on the more understable side of things like a Tern,King,Pro Destroyers,Pro Wraith and an Archon. Well that is what I used. They just start to become flippy and when I try to adjust my angles it messes with the power I can put on them.

Now up to speed 9/10 I can change the Angles in every which way and have no problems. My main release though is a flat release,it's just easier for me to judge my lines. I just wonder if I should try something like a Force or a PD2. I don't know much about the PD2 but I heard the Force breaks in very nicely and is not mad overstable like you would think it would be. So I don't waste a ton of money I have thought about trying just a Pro D Force. Says it's pretty much the same stability as the other plastics so it couldn't hurt to try.

Truthfully though the extra distance is nice,but around here there is really no need for something that goes over 400 ft. There are a few holes that are around 415ish,but that is about it. Now if I traveled about an hour and a half there are some really good courses that are within 15 minutes of each other,now those I would need something like that,because well over half of those holes are well over 415 easy. I might be out there 4 times a years truthfully.

I will keep that stuff in mind though.Thanks for all your help man.

Oh and one other thing. I picked up an extra Roc and a ESP Cyclone today. dirt cheap too.

Wow did I score big. The Roc is a flat top Roc with some sort of special stamp. It is very grippy but not R-Pro Grippy and not that crappy grip,it's a pure Roc. I don't know if it is a 12x or just a regular Roc,but man if you could only feel this thing. It is like heaven man. Just going by how it feels and looks I'm gonna take my 12x out of the bag and put this in it's place. it's a 179 too.

This ESP Cyclone is so much different than my other one. My other one is really stiff ESP Plastic this new one could be mistaken as a FLX ESP. It is like the perfect blend. I feel it is gonna fly really good. Man I scored big today man.

One other thing. Just gonna throw my PD's back in the bag and do some more side by side tests with my worn Predators. I've been training a lot here lately so my Arm is a bit stronger,now if I can just teach my hand to quit slipping off those high speed drivers. lol

Latest posts