• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable discs needed if i can throw both ways?

austin1

Lately I've been wondering if I need understable discs as I'm hardly ever reaching for them with the exception of an F7 for a roller. I can FH about as well as BH and I have even started developing my LHBH and it can go about 70% of my RHBH. So would I need understable discs if I could throw both RHBH and LHBH (with some RHFH mixed in) well? Also I wasn't sure what thread to put this in so if it needs to be moved then that's no problem

Understable discs allow you to throw the straightest shots. They won't fade much if overpowered, so if you hyzer flip them you will have a very straight throw and the disc will drop without really fading.

It's definitely worth bagging understable discs for these types of throws. Understable mid and fairway are crucial for me.

Should've mention I'll have the F3 and M3 as my most understable mid and fairway and I think I can get them to go pretty straight but with more right to left movement than a hyzerflip

The more good courses one plays, the more you see the need for every kind of shot possible. I played Kaposia in MN this summer and regular hole 5 I believe, I couldn't imagine throwing any shot besides an under stable RHBH shot. So yes, it is all situational, but the more different shots you have the lower you should be able to score in general.

You will need flippy plastic! There are holes that the best shot is a anhyzer. I throw LHBH&RHBH. If the fairway is C shaped a turnover or anhyzer will give you bigger air to fly though.

I'd definitely say bag them. I'm not very good compared to a lot of people, but my Daedalus has helped my game so much. I cant FH so this disc does all the work for shots to the right. It also gets my through tunnel shots very well. Even if you can throw FH and BH, I'd still suggest keeping understables in your bag

Understable discs are immensely easier to throw uphill. You can also get very straight flights with a straight finish. My favorite US disc shot is the sharp hyzer that flips up to shallow-hyzer/flat to get farther down the fairway after a sharp turn early in the flight.

If you think you don't need an understable disc, you must never have encountered a tailwind.

If you think you don't need an understable disc, you must never have encountered a tailwind.

:hfive: or a huge up-hill shot, super tight left to right fairways, glidey anhyzers/hyzers, dead straight shots... the list goes on. Even a putter or mid can fill the roll you don't need a driver necessarily but disc that turns is good to have.

understable stuff is also useful for slow turning left to right shots that u would have to make a glidy hyzer with fh or lhbh. which is more difficult usually than something turning over the whole way.

I bag an US putter and it's one of the things that I learned pretty recently. It's a Vibram Summit that I've had for over a year, and I'm not even a big fan of the disc: I just do not like Vibram rubber. It seems to lose it's grippy-ness very early and I have tried all the tricks, but it not just feels slick in the hand.

BUT- the flight the Summit is exactly what I want for a 40-100' touch shot right at the basket. At that distance it doesn't turn, it just goes dead straight at a very slow speed and then it drops. To throw the same shot with an Aviar or Anode, I'd have to put it on an annie and it's just a harder shot - as it's got more touch required.

Want to replace the summit with some thing similar w/ better feel.

I bag an US putter and it's one of the things that I learned pretty recently. It's a Vibram Summit that I've had for over a year, and I'm not even a big fan of the disc: I just do not like Vibram rubber. It seems to lose it's grippy-ness very early and I have tried all the tricks, but it not just feels slick in the hand.

BUT- the flight the Summit is exactly what I want for a 40-100' touch shot right at the basket. At that distance it doesn't turn, it just goes dead straight at a very slow speed and then it drops. To throw the same shot with an Aviar or Anode, I'd have to put it on an annie and it's just a harder shot - as it's got more touch required.

Want to replace the summit with some thing similar w/ better feel.

Nova and R-Pro Polecat come to mind.

If you ever play above 5k ft you will want them. Just like how I never use OS discs unless I go to sea level.

If you play a lot in the woods, the decision between throwing RHFH or RHBH is driven by release point as much as the line you want to shape. If I'm tucked into the rough on the right side of a fairway, there may be no forehand line available. If it's a hole that finishes to the right, I may opt for an understable RHBH that allows me to throw from the clean side and still get that left to right turn.

I have a buddy that is ambidextrous. He can throw both lefty and righty well over 400 and can shape great lines with both hands. He also has a usefull RHFH to about 300 and is working on his LHFH right now.

He used to ask the same question as you and his bag pretty much consisted of stable/overstable plastic. Until he started playing in the woods, that was working fine for him. Once he got into the woods, as others pointed out, you need to be able to throw a variety of shots that aren't always a stable hyzer. Example: you need to carry deep down a left-bending fairway where the best shot is a slow flip up RHBH hyzer with something less stable. Sure you can throw a RHFH or LHBH turnover, but if there are some fairway shapes that make that a less than desirable shot.

His bag is still mostly stable/overstable discs, but he does carry a Roadrunner, a Valkyrie, and a beat to flippy Roc for the occasional shots that require a slow turn.

^^^ It's like trying to paint with only 1 type of brush. Sure you can do it, but eventually you're going to have to work extra hard to get the same stroke. Why not just carry an extra brush or 2 and save yourself the headache?

I have a buddy that is ambidextrous. He can throw both lefty and righty well over 400 and can shape great lines with both hands. He also has a usefull RHFH to about 300 and is working on his LHFH right now.

He used to ask the same question as you and his bag pretty much consisted of stable/overstable plastic. Until he started playing in the woods, that was working fine for him. Once he got into the woods, as others pointed out, you need to be able to throw a variety of shots that aren't always a stable hyzer. Example: you need to carry deep down a left-bending fairway where the best shot is a slow flip up RHBH hyzer with something less stable. Sure you can throw a RHFH or LHBH turnover, but if there are some fairway shapes that make that a less than desirable shot.

His bag is still mostly stable/overstable discs, but he does carry a Roadrunner, a Valkyrie, and a beat to flippy Roc for the occasional shots that require a slow turn.

Said person is also a friend of mine and I was going to bring him up. haha.

notroman is correct that there are shots that become more achievable with understable flight paths no matter how ambidextrous you are.

For example: A simple hyzer. There are some hyzer shots where throwing and understable disc can net you a better result than throwing an overstable disc on the same line. Throwing understable discs on a hyzer you will get more side to side movement as the disc will glide throughout its finish instead of simply crashing like a Firebird or Zone.

Learn and love the flippy plastic.