• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Westside KING

pask2155

Eagle Member
The old King thread is closed... But anyone throw these? And anyone find any kings that are actually -1 in turn?

I have a 171 and a 175 TP king and both are under stable. Meaning not flippy but definitely finish right a good bit.

How are the VIPs? Are they any straighter?

The VIP's will be straighter but overall the King is much less stable than the flight numbers suggest. If your looking for long and straight from Westside your better off with the Sword or Sorcerer.

I recently got a 173 tournament pop top King and it is a really nice flyer. Fairly stable...will ride a bit right if thrown flat but with enough height crushes. Slight hyzer flip and I get a beautiful -1 turn and forward penetrating fade. Anyone else like these pop top tourney kings? I saw feldberg and Devan Owens carry them. Is there a pop top VIP which is even more stable?

I have a pop top VIP king and it's still real understable at 450' power. But you get these up on distance lines and they will glide out and keep up with any distance disc on the market!

I have a pop top 169g and used to have a flatter 172g TP. The difference between the two is huge. While the flat one used to make a huge S or sometimes even hold its' turn, the pop top doesn't even consider turning for me. I throw to ~330-350.

I would place my flat TP Sorcerer right in between the two.

Still the longest disc I've ever had was the flat King, but now it's in a river. :(

Oh and I have a 175g VIP as well, which is closer to the pop top in stability but it does turn a bit. Still more stable than the TP Sorcerer tho.

I have a pop top 169g and used to have a flatter 172g TP. The difference between the two is huge. While the flat one used to make a huge S or sometimes even hold its' turn, the pop top doesn't even consider turning for me. I throw to ~330-350.

I would place my flat TP Sorcerer right in between the two.

Still the longest disc I've ever had was the flat King, but now it's in a river. :(

It must be this newer run of pop top tourney kings that are the most stable.

Yes, I have a 172 pop top TP King and it's super stable compared to previous Kings that I have had. This has literally no turn, while I once had a King that was super stupid flippy. I'm not sure if they changed anything to reflect their flight numbers or what. It's a really nice disc, but I was hoping for the super long S-curve flight of my older Kings.

Yes, I have a 172 pop top TP King and it's super stable compared to previous Kings that I have had. This has literally no turn, while I once had a King that was super stupid flippy. I'm not sure if they changed anything to reflect their flight numbers or what. It's a really nice disc, but I was hoping for the super long S-curve flight of my older Kings.

How far are you throwing it and seeing no turn?

How far are you throwing it and seeing no turn?

About 380, which is about where I max out. I used to have a colorshift King that was "easy" distance, I just released it with a hyzer and watch it have a big turn and late fade at the end. This new orange TP King is domey and is not the same disc at all. I just think Westside did something with the newer runs to make it reflect their original flight numbers...Of course this is just based off one disc, but sounds like others are having the same experience.

Moonshine King

Has anyone thrown the moonshine king and care to share their thoughts? I'm currently testing a 168 & 170; I like them both. Personally I am looking for a slightly more stable King w/out having to bump up in weights (I normally throw 169/170 for drivers) and so far it's doing just that. Both of them have a slight dome just like my other two kings. I can rip into them with a slight hyzer and get them to flatten out and slowly turn and holding the turn for a second or two before slowly coming out of it with a healthy fade and skip. I like the moonshine king a lot. I can't wait to see how they will break in the next few weeks.

Anyone else like to share :)

I recently lost a VIP King I got used from a friend and replaced it with 2 new vip kings. My old king was SUPER flippy and unfortunately the 2 new ones are much more stable. Like I said I got the old one used but from the looks of it it was definitely not beat in, and im not sure of the weight. The lighter of the new ones is 168g and I have thrown it probably 50 times and intentionally hit some solid objects but I still am not getting any turn on it. Are the newer kings all more stable or is there something I should look for to find the flippy ones? For reference I throw 375-400 on flat ground.

Are the newer kings all more stable or is there something I should look for to find the flippy ones? For reference I throw 375-400 on flat ground.
I've had four Kings now and only one was from the old batch. The difference between the runs is indeed huge and the old one was way more flippier than any of the new ones.

That being said, there are different stabilities also in the latest run. From the three new ones, one TP had a pronounced dome with a real pop top and that was a meathook by the King's standards. I currently throw a bit flatter TP and a VIP which are more or less straight at 350' and turn quite a bit at 400'. Heavier one is maybe a bit more stable.

... Are the newer kings all more stable or is there something I should look for to find the flippy ones? For reference I throw 375-400 on flat ground.

I know the new moonshine Kings are more stable than the VIP & TP plastic in similar weights. In my experience, moonshine is not always more stable than VIP. As I stated previously, I am finding the moonshine Kings to be more stable; I don't know if it's b/c of the current runs or what, but I am loving it. I have 2 VIP Kings I will be testing and comparing it to the old run and the moonshine. Personally, I hope they are more stable b/c to me they fly more like their flight numbers.

Also, I use both the flippy & stable King as a sky roller-they're friggin awesome once you are able to hone in on them.

I've been throwing a VIP King for a few weeks. It's flying exactly like I'd expect a -1,4 disc to fly. I don't really know how far (somewhere around 400'), but I have more problems with it not flipping than flipping too far. It's been very reliable for me when I want something that's going to flip and glide out for good distance without wide open spaces.

I have a TP? (GL) pop top max weight king that was a nice straight flyer when new, perfect for 400-500 foot/just long shots lol. Very, very poppy top, extremely similar in shape to my cranks with a -much- lower plh/wing height...yet only a bit more understable. The PLH suggests it would be significantly more understable than my cranks which also turn on long shots, but I guess the massive dome makes up for it a little. It is more worn now, a little more understable, and a -very- useful disc. But I'll just replace it with a crank when it's worn enough or I get my hands on one. Maybe I'll miss the lift characteristics of the crazy dome and re-bag it lol.

..the new Kings are touch more overstable than the older first run TP plastic

..they are still great and still in the bag.

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy my new kings and they fly a lot closer to the flight numbers, but what I loved about that old king was that nothing else flew quite like it. I used to throw it on very long tight tunnel shots and it was always a head turner. I would throw it on a sever hyzer line and it would just slowly roll over to flat and even finish a touch right up to about 400 feet.